Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freeman, D. Alexander, McCardell in Washington?

sagerose03

Keenan McCardell, Antonio Freeman and Derrick Alexander will be available after June 1. Im surprised we havent heard anything yet about the redskins jumping on one of these guys. For the right price anyone of them could have a crucial impact....

We've already been over freeman. I think for the most part, we are anti-freeman here. Alexander and McCardell are different situations. I am a big Alexander fan. I think he'd fit in perfectly in a nice little Fun 'n Gun action. McCardell as well. I am pro the latter two, but anti-freeman.

We actually have heard about the Redskins having interest in Freeman at least. I'm one who tends to think the Redskins will add another wide receiver before all is said and done. While I think the team would prefer Hilliard or Jackson based on their familiarity with the offense, Freeman and McCardell are guys I'm certain the team will glance at after June 1.

An addition of a quality, proven receiver would go a long way to really balancing out the position as a strength instead of a hope this year.

as a mentor for Gardner, Russell, etc. and as a one or two year option McCardell may be the best option.

the Redskins have size in some of their young receivers and deep speed in others, but McCardell brings veteran savvy, solid route-running and sure hands to the lineup.

Unlike Freeman, McCardell has been a positive in the locker room where he has been and has been very steady.

With the ups and downs of the Westbrooks and Connells in recent years, that steadiness would be quite refreshing.

McCardell is a guy that you can count on to make the catch on third and 8 or 9, and that is something this team has missed since Gary Clark left the team in 1993.

We may not have an elite receiver under contract but I'm more than comfertable with the guys we've got right now ..

1. Gardner -- very good rookie season, consistancy can make him a great player.

2. Green -- A solid receiver who we know fits well into Spurrier's offense, can get pretty good seperation and is effective despite his height.

3/4/5 Lockett-- Underrated. I like the guy alot and feel he wasn't utilitzed well enough in Marty's offense. I consider him even with James Thrash.

3/4/5 - Cliff Russell -- a steal in the third round. Great speed and good hands, with polished route running the sky's the limit. He can contribute as a rookie.

3/4/5 Reidel Anthony -- First round talent, has struggled so far in the NFL. I think Spurrier can bring out the best in him.

6 Derrius Thompson -- He's done good things when used in games, that Lockett --> Thompson pass was a memorable one.

7 Justin Skaggs - Had a great pre-season last year, he could be an effective burner if given a shot in Spurrier's system

8 Chris Doerning -- Apparantly he looked good in minicamp though that's not much of an indicator. Spurrier has serious confidence in him though im not sure why.

9 Darnerian McCants -- Designed to play MartyBall. Big, physical, not all that fast. I could see him used as a receiving TE, but we already have Royal, FLemister, and Rasby.

With that list, why do we need to spend $$ on one of those four guys? I feel like we have 7 receivers worth of being on the roster. Why bring an arrogant headcase like Freeman in and destroy the oppurtunity of a guy like Skaggs or Thompson emerging? We don't have the money, and don't need them anyways.

you bring in a veteran for the same reason you go out and get Shane Matthews.

it is VERY difficult to win in the NFL with rookies starting across the board.

of the receivers only Gardner and Lockett played regularly in 2001. Green was hurt, and most of the others don't have an NFL catch on their resumes yet :)

you don't go into a season with no experience at qb and no experience at WR and expect to win many games, folks.

Things just don't work that way in the NFL.

And it would be a shame to waste all those moves on the defensive side of the ball for Armstead and Trotter only to end up with a team that makes so many mistakes on offense that the defense can't overcome them. :(

Maybe Steve Spurrier thinks that he can take an offense of all rookies, young vets and NFL overachievers like Wuerffel and turn it into the Rams West.

Snyder, Mendes and some others in the front office may be hedging their bets by providing some experience at qb and looking to do the same at wr just in case the NFL turns out to be a rougher neighborhood than Spurrier remembers from his last stint here in 1977.

how's this hunch to give us an indication:

whichever of these three are NOT discussed positively and publicly by Spurrier, we should assume we will soon sign.

and we need an ellard/fryar type vet. it may be accurate to say that westbrook's imminent departure is more of a loss of experience than of accomplishment, and it needs to be recouped somehow in free agency. but of course i'd rather see a couple OL signings and have rakishi play DT:box:

the other factor here is that Freeman and Alexander have depended on speed much more than McCardell to be successful in the NFL.

At ages 31 and 32 I think Freeman and Alexander's injury problems and loss of speed has taken its toll on their productivity.

While McCardell has had some injury problems of his own, I think his game is based less on raw speed and deep threat ability and more on his knowledge of the game and polish as a mature, veteran receiver.

I look back at those two fine years that Henry Ellard had here in the mid-1990's and see equal value in Keenan now.

The advantage he will have that Henry did not is this team has a running game and makings of a good offensive line.

One could also argue that with Spurrier and Matthews running the offense there will be greater stability as well.

After drafting WR Tim Carter in the 3rd round, Im hoping the Midgets will now cut Ike Hilliard loose after June 1st, in that he may be a problem in their locker room. Then the Skins can grab him, as he has probably been the most successful of the Florida receivers.

Another interesting possibility is Marcus Robinson of the Bears. Although he is recovering from injury, the Bears have given him an ultimatum. Take a salary cut or be released. If he gets released and could return to form -- wow, what an addition to our team! :D

Now Marcus Robinson I could live with. I didn't know Alexander was 32. He seems younger than that. And Ike Hilliard, doesn't he have chronic problems with a turf toe injury or something ? What's his injury status?

I definitely think WR is the wrong position to be concentrating on overall though. Lets get DT, OG, S, then maybe a WR if there's any room left.

We have Vets Lockett and Jacquez Green to go with 2nd year guys Gardner, Skaggs and maybe D Mac.

Derrius Thompson actually played last season and Doering and Anthony have been in the league long enough to have been under the veteran guidance of Key chain johnson and others so why pursue older slower guys instead of developing our own.

We may end up outsmarting ourselves and letting another Thrash or McCardell go without giving them a shot here.

OG and DT should be the focus.

I think fans overrate Mr. Lockett. This guy has proven to be no more than a 30 catch, #3 receiver in the best of times during his NFL career.

When the team was failing to get production in the short passing game last year and Gardner was hitting the wall as a rookie, dropping some passes, the team had no confidence it seems in elevating Lockett and running some 3 receiver routes to move the sticks.

From what I saw of Lockett he is a guy who OCCASIONALLY will make plays, his lack of size and deep speed put him in the possession category. Usually you like your possession receivers to be a little bigger, with the toughness to go over the middle on third downs.

I am surprised the team agreed to restructure Lockett and keep him for 2002.

Perhaps he won't make it on the final roster, we will have to see.

There have been many reads that McCardell or Alexander will be picked up by the Bucs. McCardell himself on ESPN's Unscripted stated that his first choice is Tampa because of family (location) and wanting to play for Gruden. However it has been reported that Gruden really likes Alexander.

I see those two along with Robinson from the Bears being snatched up pretty quickly. Plus right now the Bucs are about 2.6 mil below the cap so one of them will definately be down here.

For the right price, I think Alexander would be a nice fit here but McCardell doesn't seem to have the speed needed to work in the Fun N Gun. Willie Jackson also would be nice too if the price is right. But if you consider the numbers Alexander put up in 2000, we should take a look at him...

Archived