Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN reports Skins sign Matthews

Mountdrago

Guest Trevor

Redskins | Land Matthews with 1-year Deal - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

10:16 PT: ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports free agent QB Shane Matthews (Bears) has reached a contract agreement with the Washington Redskins despite Redskins' coach Steve Spurrier saying they would not pursue him. The deal is for one year and financial terms have not yet been released.

Pretty suprising

Another perfect example of the prognastication ability of our board. SS says he's not interested and we believe him. Are we a bunch of bulls (gullabulls). I don't ever want to play poker with the Redskins front office, the bluffs would drive ya nuts. I be folding with three of kind all day.

However, I am much more comfortable with Matthews in the mix than what we had previously. Shows the Skins aren't wrtining off this season as a "learning experience".

God forbid, Matthews comes in here an lights it up, takes us to the playoffs, then departs via free-agency. That consistency at the QB position is questioned with this signing. Patrick better be the guy. Craig, pack your bags. Sage...hmmmmm, or is it Weurful, watch your back.

Interesting....very interesting.

Quick story: About 1:05pm, Shane Matthews came on WRUF in Gainesville to talk about his situation. At the time, either the deal hasn't gotten done yet or his agent didn't call him, but Shane explained his situation. He said the Skins and the bears had a deal for a 7th rounder. Shane had 1 year left on his contract with the Bears. He said right before the draft, the Skins negotiator called him and said they wanted to extend the deal out another year but with no signing bonus. He said no NFL guys extend their deals an extra year without signing bonuses. He said he just wanted a one-year deal like the other Gators did (that signed with the skins) and then he'd make a deal next year after the season was over. He was even talking about trying to hitch on with the Skins after the 2002 season after his contract was up.

Not more than 2 minutes after Shane hangs up, a caller calls in and says ESPN is reporting that Shane has signed a 1 year deal with the Skins. Apparently, word of his signing leaked out before his agent had a chance to call Shane and tell him.

BTW, he really wants to be a Skin, he said he owes where he is today to Coach Spurrier.

Well I am of the thinking that his scheduled visit to Cincy, wether it was real, or an agent fabricated LIE, is the main reason we signed him. I think this could be a "panic" signing.

AND I AM GLAD! Even if Ramsey, Sage, or Weurffel perform better, COMPETITION IS GOOD! :)

Yeah, I dig the signing too. Obviously Craig has no chance in hell of sticking around, but I find it quite difficult to fathom that we'll carry 4 QBs on the active roster. And obviously, Ramsey is sticking around.

Sooo... who is it going to be?

Wuerffel.... or Sage?

Even with the big 'ol Spurrier bias, I'm going to say Sage sticks around.

Again, I repeat my prophecy:

Heed my voice, the Spurrier shall hold unto 4 QBs, for he shall say,"New England did thus two years past, and prospered greatly for it. Yay, they did advance unto the Super Bowl and triumph. Therefore I too shall retain all my chosen four under my wing, Shane, Sage, Ramseys, and the Waffle. As for the Craig, he shall soon be departed..." :fortune: :fortune: :pope:

Guest Trevor

I see no reason to keep Wuerful. Having Matthews should be enough to help coach the other qb's the system.

If Spurrier was being for real with his comments that Sage was a little ahead of Wuerful, then if that feeling stays that way after the Pre-Season, I would be suprised if Danny is still here. Unless he plans on keeping 4 qb's which I doubt.

This to be eliminates Weurffel as a possible starter in all likelihood. Shand has the same background in the offense and has much more game experience, including playoff experience (last year).

The QB saga is going to be interesting to say the least. Hopefully it will be because we have many good options and not because they all struggle!

Archived