Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Own3d Thread.(Keep it clean)

unsonny

So you are saying there is no such thing as a gluten allergy?

edit..the only reason I ask is that places like the Mayo clinic et al disagree and more specifically I have a vested interest in that I've been gluten free for about 4 years to solve health problems I had dealt with for 36+ years. 

The above part is surely anecdotal on my part, but I can't fathom why anyone would choose to be gluten free for non medical reasons. It ****ing blows. 

edit..I'm just glad I don't have fully blown Celiacs. Especially since I have "poisoned" myself a few too many times on accident these past several years. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

I know a young woman with celiac's disease.  It is real.  It's caused by a reaction to gluten, a protein found in wheat.  It messes up the digestive system, causes real bad discomfort and efs up the small intestine so it can't absorb nutrients.  

I know a young woman with celiac's disease.  It is real.  It's caused by a reaction to gluten, a protein found in wheat.  It messes up the digestive system, causes real bad discomfort and efs up the small intestine so it can't absorb nutrients.

Someone in my family has it as well. They've really benefitted from this anti-gluten craze because so many places offer gluten free options now.

I'm aware of the followup paper. I'm also aware it doesn't say what you think it says, or what business insider claims.

If you are really interested, you should read the interview with Peter Gibson AFTER the 2nd paper was published.

http://glutendude.com/interviews/does-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-exist/

GD: The media, looking for click bait as they tend to do, absolutely ran wild with your findings. Some of the headlines included “Gluten Intolerance May Not Exist” (Forbes), “Gluten Intolerance May Be Totally Fake” (Huffington Post), “Doctor Who Started Gluten Free Fad Says He Got It Wrong” (ABC News), “Unless You Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity is All in Your Head” (PBS) and I could go on and on. What is your reaction to the press your study got?

PG: It is a pity that findings are over-interpreted and ‘dramatic’ spins are put on data. The people who suffered the most were those with IBS and food intolerances – the non-believers felt justified in saying it is in the imagination. IBS is not all in the head. The real question that was at times missed was what part of wheat was causing the problems. It is quite difficult to understand how the fact that demonstrating wheat protein is not the cause in a group of people equates to the idea that these people do not have a problem at all (except in their imagination).

There's more about non celiac gluten intolerance (or wheat intolerance) too. But I will try to get back on topic of this thread. :)

Edited by The Evil Genius