Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot's Worth

laxpck

I think now that the season is over the first issue as a team we must address is what Smoot is truly worth to this team...

I love Smoot, his attitude towards play...and his play for the most part warrant enamores most skins fans to him...

But he is asking for steep money..and I for one don't know if he is worth it...

Just want to set up a thread in which we can discuss what he is truly worth...while I doubt that anyone involved with the negotiations read this forum....it is good to get it out in the open.....

Like I said before I think Smoot is the consumate professional he is but....

I dont think he is a top 5 corner in the league

I think he flourished under Gregg Williams' system...I think if he goes to another team he will have to utilize his own personal skills again and all will see while good, he is more than a tad overated...

I have seen again and again him give up the out, and I hate that. DG never conceded any route...

SO how important do you all think SMoot really is?

Think of what else we could get for the money he reportedly is asking for...

The bottom line is that corners are worth less than they were even a year ago. As we have heard many an announcer, talking head and radio show host discuss, because of the new rules favoring the passing game the "shut down corner" of old will essentially cease to exist. However, we have seen some great efforts out of Smoot and our secondary as a whole so his value is obviously still there. Not to mention his team leadership and his fire. But when you see Williams plug our backups in and have them do nearly as well against a potent passing attack fighting to stay alive in the playoff hunt you can't help but question the value of paying Smoot eleventy billion dollars versus using the money on other positions of more pressing need. All of these factors need to be taken into consideration and the bottom line is that if there is a team out there desperate enough to pay him top dollar then we are basically stuck. I can't help but think of Dre Bly last year who got a king's ransom in spite of being nowhere near a top five corner. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Originally posted by Riggotoni

Although he's not as good as Springs, he's younger, which means he ought to be around longer, so I'd offer him a similar contract: Signing bonus around $9m with a 6 year contract.

Smoot has already turned down the "Springs" type contract, Smoot has said that he wants top 5 CB money and the Skins want to pay him top 10 money, and I think that's high for him...

IMHO I dont think he is a top 10 corner either...His worth to the Skins doesnt lie in his play on the field b/c we all know we can get similar talent in FA this off-season...His value lies in his heart and his professionalism towards this team and it's fans...That's why we are seeing the outcry to resign Smoot at any cost on this board...

B/c he is a fan favorite doesnt mean that he is the best CB for this team or worth paying a kings ransom when he has been routinely beaten by #2 WR in his career...

Smoot should get just a little more per season than Springs because he is younger. Springs played tougher against the run and turned out to be an effective blitzer. Smoot continues to improve as a cover guy and doesn't back down against RB's even when hurt. Neither is more valuable than the other.

If we were to sign him to what he wants what would our cap situation look like without factoring in Pierce and restructuring samuels. I would like to know the direct impact it would have, because I love smoot but i agree that he is not as good as springs. Neither of them are DG so dont compare them to him. He was one of the best to ever live. If we can get a comparable corner for cheaper I'll take him, but he will have to have the same attitude and leadership abilities that smoot has. Also, keeping smoot would help with continuity and the amazing chemistry this defense built together this year.

Smooty is the man. The guy is a pimp. I love the way he plays, his attitude, and what he brings to the team. I agree that he may not be the top 5 corners in the league, but I think he's damn good with a lot of potential. Besides, he doesn't just bring his talent to the squad, he brings a whole new attitude. When I look at him I think "Redskins". It's kind of hard to explain. Is he worth the money? I think so.

Look at it this way...when you go to work everyday, you are at your job not only because you can do your job well, but also because you work well with the people you work with, or you bring a different level of professionalism, or you are good at motivating the people you work with, etc. What I mean is your boss doesn't just pay you for your skill (there are a ton of people out there that could do what you do). You get paid for everything you bring to the table...why shouldn't Smooty?!?!

Oh, one more thing, just to see what you guys think...but maybe we should get rid of Lavar. I know I may get blasted for this (I love the guy too, and think of him as a true "Redskins"), but he was out all season and our defense was still ranked number 2 in the league. Just hear me out...if we got rid of Lavar we would free up A LOT of money for FA and keep a number 2 rated defense in tact. We could invest A LOT of that into offense, since that is where we obviously need the help. True, keeping Lavar on our squad may mean a number 1 defense next year, but that's also possible with play adjustments. Having a number 1 defense would be good....but that doesn't mean crap if our offense can't produce.

Originally posted by wskin44

Smoot should get just a little more per season than Springs because he is younger. Springs played tougher against the run and turned out to be an effective blitzer. Smoot continues to improve as a cover guy and doesn't back down against RB's even when hurt. Neither is more valuable than the other.

:cheers: I agree...similair money -- a bit more...Keep smoot.

I seriously dont think we can afford to pay Smoot the money he wants. As much as i'd love to see him in a Skins uni for life I have to say that if he was serious about staying here he'd be willing to accept less money to do so.

I think we can replace his playmaking ability, it's his attitude and team presence that'll be hard to replace when he leaves.

I think the Redskins were very fortunate that Springs has been reborn in DC. I would test fate twice though.

If they can afford to keep Smoot, even if its for alittle more $$ than they want to pay him. I say do it. Maybe offer even MORE in incentives.

I'd rather overpay to keep some of the key Defensive guys like Smoot and Pierce, than go and overpay for guys to replace them.

Smoot has earned the right to test the free agent market and maximize his potential worth. I would love to see Smoot back in a skins uniform based on his play as well as his leadership qualities, but whether we like it or not, the NFL is a business.

Gregg Williams seems to be very impressed with Garnell Wilds and during the game yesterday it was said that Williams thought he should have put him in the line up earlier in the year.

To me it was a sign that Smoot is gone and that Greg Williams has confidence in his defense w/o him. Im willing to bet Washington pulls its offer from him soon

No way is Smoot worth top 5 money. He "might" be worth top 10 money. I'd love to keep Smoot - but I don't see it happening. If he does go on his way - I think he's got a good shot at "Chumping Out".

Don't feel too bad for Freddy - $10+Million signing and a healthy yearly contract....If he really wanted to be a Redskin - he'd sign on the line which is dotted and say thank you.

I'd take the Smoot Jersey off my wishlist from the Redskin Store.

Smoot = Top 10 cause we would pay that to someone NOT currently in the system. No way to top 5+.

I would love to see some consistancy like i constantly said over the last 7+years. But not at any cost, the defense can survive with a different #2 corner.

They need to focus on other issues.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

Guys, Smoot has said that he has been taking advice from Dieon Sanders, and Champ Bailey. Smoot is gone. :(

Ok, I love Smoot. But if he wants to turn into a "Me" player than let him go do that somewhere else. We are trying to build a team here. And from what I've read that we've already offered him (top 10 CB money) than I think he should seriously consider it.

Just like any negotiation. Nobody ever excepts the first offer from either side. But I think the Skins are in the right ballpark with their offer. I would possibly go just a little higher. If he doesn't accept, then I think you have to start looking for his replacement.

Originally posted by Golgo-13

I can't help but think of Dre Bly last year who got a king's ransom in spite of being nowhere near a top five corner.

You made some good points, but Dre Bly was not paid a kings ransom. His contract was reasonable. He got a $ 6.5 million SB and $ 24.5 million over 5 years. Then he turned in an all pro season and may have been all pro again this year.

But you are right, SOME team probably will be willing pay Smoot more then we are willing -- you only have to look at Denver last year with Champ for evidence of that -- and Winfield got a $10.8 mil SB last year and Plummer got $11 Mil.

I say we don't overpay Smoot -- give him what Springs got -- and if he refuses, we use the money on other positions -- DE, OL, etc.

Archived