Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erasmus James

Skinned

I know it's early to talk about, but I just saw this mock draft and they have him going to the Skins. I saw him a bit today during the Outback Bowl and he was really non-existant. Pollack of Georgia is the one who stole the show.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

8. Washington Redskins: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin

What can you say about the 2004 Washington Redskins? A team that had such high hopes before the season thanks to the return of Hall of Fame coach and legend Joe Gibbs has simply fallen flat on their faces. Despite their poor showing this year it is really hard to pinpoint one area where this team is severely lacking, but one spot that could be upgraded is the defensive line. Despite having what most consider only average talent the current group has done a tremendous job this season under new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams but that doesn't mean they can't improve. Guys like Renaldo Wynn and Phillip Daniels are solid but what this teams lacks is that dynamic pass rush threat which is exactly what Erasmus James has the potential to be. James has improved his draft stock more than anyone in the country this year after sitting out the entire 2003 season with an injury. In fact, James may be the most dominant defensive player in college football this season and he has gone from a fringe day one pick to a lock for the first round and the scary part is that he hasn't even begun to touch the tip of his full potential. The team may also look to upgrade their struggling offense and someone like Mike Williams could be a possibility, but the chance to bring in an impact defensive lineman might be too tempting to pass up. Someone like Mathias Kiwanuka of Boston College could be a possibility here as well but this may be a little high for him considering he is still raw and far from a finished product.

You have to remember that he was matched up with Georgia's LT Daniel Inman. He's one of the most underrated tackle in college football. One of the most athletic tackles I have ever seen, he excels against speed rushers. It's not surprise that he was able to contain Erasmus James.

Personally I don't want the Skins to draft a speed rusher because I fear that they would often run themselves out of the play. I think our defense is great as is with DEs that aren't great at containment and great playing the run. If we could get a strong DE that's able to bull rush tackles, that would be ideal, but those are hard to come by.

Yea, but I do like saying his name. Erasmus. Erasmus. Nice!

Though, if we based our personnel decisions on the enjoyment we get from prouncing their name -- we probably should have held on to Ohalete.

And for the love of gawd, don't let SMOOOOOOOOT go!

Now, back to your draft day musings :D

Archived