Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has a team with the #1 Ranked Defense, ever not made the playoffs before?

Commander PK

Which assistant Coach Did Worst?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which assistant Coach Did Worst?

• Bugel
    • Breaux

I know we are ranked #2 right now, but after tommorow's game we WILL be ranked #1. :cheers:

Has a team with the #1 Defense ever not made the playoffs before? Not to be a bringer of bad news, but I think that could be unprecedented. Anybody know for sure, or if there is a way to find out?

Originally posted by JJredskins00

And to compare...this year...team's with the 29th, 28th, 27th, and 25th ranked defenses are already in the playoffs..(Minnesota, Indianapolis, Green Bay, and Seattle.)

I thought defense won championships?:whoknows:

Originally posted by Westbrook36

The 91 Eagles were number 1 against the run, and number 1 against the pass as well as number 1 overall......first and only team in history to do all three....and they didn't make the playoffs.

That was one hell of a D too. Reggie White,Jerome Brown and Clyde Simmons on the line.:doh: I always thought that D, the 91 Eagles, was the 2nd best D I've ever seen (behind the 85/86 Bears). If Randall stayed healthy that year, the Skins would have actually had to break a sweat on their way to SB26.

As far as the question at hand.

The last time it happened was 1998. San Diego finished with the #1 D and missed the playoffs.

It also happened in

1991 Eagles

1990 Steelers

1983 Bengals

I only went back to 1980 so I don't know if it happened before then.

Archived