Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think Gibbs wants Portis out

NEEDAQB

It is just a hunch. But the way Gibbs benched Portis a couple times this year is a sign to me

And Gibbs on comcast today was talking about Betts and seemed so exciting. He said never expected such a bounding style out of Betts. And loves the way he runs. He also said he is excited to see him start this week.

I think we are in for a surprise. The high paid guys like Brunell and Portis may be gone this off season. I do not know how they will do it under the cap. But it is clear Gibbs is not as high on Portis anymore

Gibbs doesn't want to get rid of Portis because Joe Gibbs isn't a stupid man. The salary cap hit from getting rid of him would cripple your franchise monetarily and mentally.

He's going to have to grow into what Joe Gibbs wants or Joe is going to have to cater to what makes him successful.

They are married to each other, like it or not. I'm sure Gibbs will do what he's been doing his entire coaching life......get the most he can out of his players.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Gibbs doesn't want to get rid of Portis because Joe Gibbs isn't a stupid man. The salary cap hit from getting rid of him would cripple your franchise monetarily and mentally.

He's going to have to grow into what Joe Gibbs wants or Joe is going to have to cater to what makes him successful.

They are married to each other, like it or not. I'm sure Gibbs will do what he's been doing his entire coaching life......get the most he can out of his players.

I think skins are going to have to take the cap hits on these guys now. I do not understand running a guy who does not fit the offense. It was clear he is more a Faulk type of back. He needs to run in space. Will Gibbs change his offfense ? Or take the cap hits and build a team that fits his style. One thing is for sure he can not run a pounding offense with a jaguar .

Just take the cap hits? I like how people say that without even thinking. Ok, so you cut/trade Portis and Brunell and their entire signing bonus becomes a hit for this next coming year.

So about 15 million of Portis SB goes to 2005 along with around 7 million of Brunell's SB. So you lose both players and have 22 million of dead money. You are what, 8 million under the cap with Smoot, Pierce, and a few others to sign?

So right away, you forget about them two and probably have to outright cut several others because of that decision.

Then, next year, you'd have a MUCH WORSE roster than the one that just went 5-11/6-10....but hey, you'd have a power RB running the ball....

Please don't give the suggestion to cut/trade either player without fully understanding the ramifications.

Originally posted by Skins24

First you want Ramsey gone, now YOU want Portis gone.(because Gibbs NEVER gave ANY indication that he doesn't like Portis...you yourself made that up)

What's wrong with you?

Exactly! They must be high if they think Joe Gibbs wants to get rid of CP. Some of ya'll go too far sometimes....

Originally posted by NEEDAQB

yeah i must be high. Lets keep this great offense intact. I mean what were they ranked? top 5 i have to belive.

Top 10?

Top 20?

play 30?

not last??

Jesus. You act like i am saying cut Peyton Manning

Thats right...nobody F^cks with the Jesus.

You want to get rid of a running back who gained almost 1,300 yards? Also you act like the salary cap hit wouldn't be an issue at all.

Originally posted by Aikmans Killer No.56

You want to get rid of a running back who gained almost 1,300 yards? Also you act like the salary cap hit wouldn't be an issue at all.

Actually, Portis had 1315 yards rushing, 235 yards receiving, & 15 yards passing(QB rating of 114.6) for a total of 1595 all purpose yards.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/WAS

Team Stats Redskins

TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 249

FIRST DOWNS (Rushing-Passing-By Penalty) 84 - 143 - 22

THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS 63/210

FOURTH DOWN CONVERSIONS 4/11

TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 4079

OFFENSE (Plays-Average Yards) 963 - 4.2

TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1648

RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 440 - 3.7

TOTAL PASSING YARDS 2431

PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 271 - 488 - 16 - 5.45 SACKS 36 35

FIELD GOALS 19/27

TOUCHDOWNS 23

(Rushing-Passing-Returns-Defensive) 5 - 16 - 1 - 1

TIME OF POSSESSION 31:23

Originally posted by Aikmans Killer No.56

Just curious, what % of our offense does that make up?

79.8% Rushing only. Total offense = 39.1%

Portis is also listed at #3 for receptions with 40 catches.

Archived