Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Contract negotiations should be done in public

PCRoughrider

Originally posted by PCRoughrider

disagree. If both sides know that the contract proposals will be made public, both sides have an incentive to be reasonable.

but then that destroys the entire bargining and bluffing part of the process. And the proposals generally become public relatively quickly. I dont think there should be an official mechanism where teams have to put out what they're offering to players. Why arent the NFL teams required to announce who they will draft before the draft?

So let's say that Fred Smoot is making some outrageous demand that the Redskins, rightly, won't meet, you're not going to be upset with the team when he signs with another team for the same money that the Redskins offered, after realizing that no one is going to pay what he's demanding?

You're not going to blame the team because it will appear that they tried to lowball him?

Again, when you keep everything secret, the incentive for both sides being reasonable is less.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Why doesn't your boss announce what he's paying you?

:doh:

That's not the point. We'll find out what he's making after he signs the contract, in any event.

Look at it this way, generally, think about the things people have done when they thought no one was watching. I just want to bring the same kind of societal pressure that keeps society in line, into contract negotiations.

That's not the point. We'll find out what he's making after he signs the contract, in any event.

Look at it this way, generally, think about the things people have done when they thought no one was watching. I just want to bring the same kind of societal pressure that keeps society in line, into contract negotiations.

That is the point, it's really nobody's business except the boss and the person getting paid. This is between Smoot and Snyder. Once it's finalized, put the final number out, but leave the public out of the negotiation part.

This is Something I have NEVER understood......do the Owners need to Post how much THEY Make ? Danny Probably made between 20-30 MILLION this past year and we DID'NT make the Playoff's !

I think Players Salaries show be Private......if they want to tell then it is on them...as long as the League knows the Figures and the Fit under the Cap then Why should the Public or Even other Players know ?

...that way, we'll know what players are asking for and what the team is offering. We'll know who's being resonable and who isn't. And it would put pressure on both sides to be reach an agreement.

I mean, NFL player contract negotiations ain't government secrets, for God's sake!

So you would want your salary being public knowledge for anyone that wants to see it. Leave it to a skins fan to think this up... lol

the joke here is that it is the player's agent who makes the figures public in almost every case...trying to gain an edge in the negotiations, then trying to puff up his abilities when a contract is signed. that's why there are so many crazy "final" contract figures.

Archived