Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting piece including Patrick...

I live in the Baltimore area so I get The Baltimore Sun. In today's sports section, they had a page called "Breaking out in '05."

On the page, they took every sport you can think of and had a short blib on who they thought would break out and have a profound effect on their sport in the next year. For instance, for the NBA they chose Amare Stoudimire.

The NFL's blib was right in the middle of the page. And they chose non other than Patrick Ramsey. Not only did they say Ramsey will break out next season under Gibbs after having a full offseason to digest the offense, they had a huge picture of him raising his arms in the air right smack-dab in the middle of the page.

I thought it was very interesting that, out of the ENTIRE NFL, they would choose Patrick Ramsey. I also thought it was interesting that they featured him over everything else on the entire page. They must really believe Patrick Ramsey is going to be a great quarterback. I sure hope The Sun is right.

Any thoughts?

This is what the article says . . .

THE NFL

The third quarterback taken in the 2002 draft, Patrick Ramsey was an afterthought almost from the beginning. A contract stalemate kept him out of the Washington Redskins' camp until August, and he was signed only after the team tried to trade him. By then, coach Steve Spurrier was reluctant to play Ramsey. Spurrier wanted to win with former Florida quarterbacks, alternating Shane Matthews with Danny Wuerffel until both proved incapable of leading the team.

In his second season, Ramsey was hampered by a lingering foot injury that eventually landed him on injured reserve in December. This year, in the coaching switch from Spurrier to Joe Gibbs, Ramsey took another step back.

Gibbs prefers proven veterans at the position; he demonstrated that in 1987 when starter Jay Schroeder got hurt, yielded the job to veteran Doug Williams and couldn't get it back in the stretch run of a Super Bowl season.

So, the Redskins opened the 2004 season with veteran Mark Brunell, 34, a proven winner, at quarterback and Ramsey on the bench. Brunell completed less than 50 percent of his passes, and the offense never scored more than 18 points. In Week 11 at Philadelphia, Gibbs finally conceded the obvious and installed Ramsey as starter.

At 25, Ramsey is the team's future. Although he has thrown a career-high 10 interceptions in six starts, he has completed a career-best 61.8 percent. Coming off a strong arm, that is a good place for Gibbs' latest quarterback project to start. Given the benefit of Gibbs' tutoring and a full offseason to grasp the evolving offense, Ramsey should be able to elevate the Redskins to legitimate contender in the weak NFC next season. Remember, Gibbs won a Super Bowl with Mark Rypien, too.

-- Ken Murray

Archived