Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we may be between a rock and hard place in signing Fred Smoot

The options we have with Smoot are not very good.

1. First of all we can't trade Smoot. He is a UFA and is technically not under contract, although we retain his rights until March 1st.

2. If we Transition Tag Smoot, we will lose him and get nothing in return. The Redskins are cap squeezed at the moment and some team with a lot of cap room will put a poison pill in their offer to him, that we can't match. This is what happened last year to Kansas City, when they lost John Tait to the Bears. Because of this, teams rarely Transition Tag players anymore.

3. If we Franchise Tag Smoot in order to try and trade him, this automatically boosts his pay into the top 5 category of CB's and would probably backfire. He's not THAT good and I doubt that any other team would be willing to pay him accordingly AND also give us a #1 draft pick in return. Plus, the Redskins don't have enough cap room to tender him $8 million per year to make him a Franchise Tag player to begin with.

Then there's the question of how big a signing bonus does Smoot deserve, or more importantly how much can he get on the open market. According to Cerrato, the Skins offered to make Smoot one of the 10 highest paid CB's. That seems fair to me for a guy who has never had an all-pro season, except maybe this year. My records may not be complete, but these are the 10 most recent highest paid CB's.

Champ Bailey (2004) $ 18.0 SB + $ 5 RB - 7 yrs @ $ 63 million

Ty Law (1999) $ 14.2 SB 7 yrs @ $ 51 million

Ahmed Plummer (2004) $ 11.0 SB 5 yrs @ ?

Antione Winfield (2004) $ 10.8 SB 6 yrs @ $ 34.8 million

Shawn Springs (2004) $ 10.0 SB 6 yrs @ $ 30 million

Lito Sheppard (2004) $ 9.0 SB 5 yr ext @ $25 million

Sheldon Brown (2004) $ 7.5 SB 6 yr ext @ ?

Jason Webster (2004) $ 7.0 SB 6 yrs @ $ 18 million

Dre’ Bly (2003) $ 6.5 SB*5 yrs @ $ 24.5 million

Fred Thomas (2004) $ 5.0 SB 4 yrs @ $ 14 million

Sam Madison (2004) $ 4.7 SB Renegotiated 4 yrs @ $ 18 million

David Barrett (2004) $ 4.5 SB 6 yrs @ $ 21 million

So it looks like we are between a rock and a hard place, unless Smoot changes his mind.

eagles corners both got pretty much identical contracts,

the official figures weren't released but they both got abot a 7-8 mil SB and about 28 mil overalll over seven years but these were extensions when their rookie contracts run out in 2 years so i'm not sure if that makes a real difference.

there is a thread with all the number on the Eagles MB but the search function is broken so i can't find it..

Both guys are younger than smoot but have far less time as established starters.

Originally posted by Eagles-UK

eagles corners both got pretty much identical contracts,

the official figures weren't released but they both got abot a 7-8 mil SB and about 28 mil overalll over seven years but these were extensions when their rookie contracts run out in 2 years so i'm not sure if that makes a real difference.

there is a thread with all the number on the Eagles MB but the search function is broken so i can't find it..

Both guys are younger than smoot but have far less time as established starters.

Lito is the man, Go Gators. :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

sorry, had to reaffirm myself after hailing an eagle.

Originally posted by FullbackIsKey

hey inmate, do you know where the list of redskins player salaries went to? I know its no longer on the main page, but it wasn't hosted here, so it might still exist somewhere???

It was discontinued because Buddha doesn't have time to keep it up to date anymore.

You can use this one for 2004 salaries.

http://redskins.scout.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

Smoot seen a lot of corners get a big pay day last year and knows it's his turn now. If some team out there wants to really overpay for him we have to step back and although it would be really disappointing to lose him, we can't break the bank for him.

Hopefully, we can sort something out, one of the problems we have is that with the CBA only having another 2 years to run, we can only pro rate bonus money over 5 years, so we really need to lookmat a split bonus, which is maybe something Smoot doesn't want to do.

I'll be sick if Smoot goes, but, I don't want us to overpay for anyone, we have been doing that for too long now. We made the right choice with Bailey last year, lets hope that whatever happens with Smoot is the right choice.

Smoot should also know that if he and his agents try to play hardball too much, they will be given their walking papers. I mean Champ would have been resigned here, but wanted more money. He went to Denver in the trade, got all the money he wanted, and has CLEARLY SHOWN he is not worth all that cash.

I dug this up on Buzzard CB's Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown. Sheppard got a $9 million SB and Brown got $7.5 million. :)

-- Eagles Extend Sheppard --

Fri Nov 5, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Philadelphia Eagles have extended CB Lito Sheppard through the 2011 season by reaching a five-year extension that could be worth as much as $25 million. Sheppard agreed to the deal Friday, one day after fellow CB Sheldon Brown signed a six-year extension that will take him through the 2012 season.

Brown received $7.5 million to sign. Sheppard received around $9 million to sign. He had three years remaining on the contract he signed when he was drafted in the first round of the 2002 draft.

Brunell is the biggest disappointment from a cap wise statepoint. Last year we didn't know Pierce was this good or that Barrow would have gotten injured.

Next year, Lavar better step up and earn his money. Samuels, hopefully, we accept a more cap friendly contract.

Reference Smoot, I agree with some of you that Smoot should be offerred top 10 money only. Six years at 30 mil including a 10 mil signing bonus. Maybe five percent increase because of salary inflation, but nothing more than that. We cannot continue to pay these players top dollar.

Edit: I am getting tired of the "It's all about the money attitude from players"

Archived