Extremeskins

WP: Smoot Says Return Is Not Certain

bubba9497

Smoot Says Return Is Not Certain

Redskins' Cornerback May Leave as Free Agent

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37051-2004Dec30?language=printer

Washington Redskins starting cornerback Fred Smoot said yesterday his bruised kidney will prevent him from playing in Sunday's season finale, and he is worried that he may have played his final game for the team.

Smoot was knocked out of the game at Dallas last Sunday with back and kidney problems, and vomited on the sideline. As a potential free agent, he hopes that is not his final outing as a Redskin.

"My last game was a loss to Dallas and I might not be back," Smoot said. "That could have been my last game as a Redskin."

Smoot, drafted 45th overall by the Redskins in 2001, was optimistic about the early progress of contract talks with the team but negotiations have stalled over the last month, sources said. Smoot is believed to be seeking a deal in the neighborhood of the six-year, $30-million contract cornerback Shawn Springs signed with Washington last winter, and he regularly has spoken with Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, who could not agree with the Redskins on an extension last year and ultimately was traded to Denver for running back Clinton Portis in March.

"I want to be here bad, but it ain't about me wanting to be here," Smoot said. "It's them wanting me to be here. Like I was talking to Champ two or three weeks ago, and that's what he was saying. It ain't never really the player. . . . It's all about the front office and who they want to be here."

Smoot said he has a gut feeling that talks with the Redskins might not result in a new deal, and he has used Bailey as a resource in contending with free agency for the first time. When asked if he was as optimistic about staying in Washington as he was a few weeks ago, Smoot said, "I can't say that I am." He believed that if a deal was going to get done, it would have happened by the end of the season. The NFL free agency period begins in March.

Vinnie Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, said that the team's offer to Smoot would make him one of the 10 highest-paid cornerbacks in the league.

Coach Joe Gibbs has talked highly of Smoot and the importance of keeping core players such as Smoot on the Redskins. But Washington could face a salary-cap squeeze. Although it is close to re-signing linebacker Antonio Pierce, it also is working on ways to retain highly-paid offensive lineman Chris Samuels and will look to improve by signing free agents in the offseason.

"We're going to make every effort we can to sign him," Gibbs said of Smoot. "We got going real hard on it in the middle of the year and then I think we kind of reached a point there where it was a stalemate, and we're going to do everything we can to sign him. . . . You go after it as hard as you can and hopefully you can get something done. But you never know with something like that."

Smoot said the pain from Sunday's game is still intense, although the bleeding in his kidney stopped. Last season Smoot suffered a severe sternum injury in Dallas. "I hate Texas Stadium, man," Smoot said. MRI testing showed no long-term problems.

Redskins Notes: Portis, who is being sued by former Redskin Ifeanyi Ohalete for allegedly failing to pay all of the $40,000 he owes him for buying the right to wear No. 26 from him, has told his teammates he does not owe any more money and does not intend to pay.

Smoot, who worked as a mediator to help broker the deal, which was signed by both parties, said he would side with Ohalete, even though he was released by Washington in the preseason shortly after the deal was struck.

"They did have the agreement," Smoot said, "so I might have to go with Ife right there. He got it in writing." . . .

Defensive end Phillip Daniels, who suffered a season-ending wrist injury Dec. 5, said he is progressing well. Daniels will have his cast removed Jan. 13 and then will have another put on the injury. A month after that he should be fully healed and ready to begin rehabilitation.

Daniels said the groin and abdominal problems that plagued him since training camp have cleared up and he expects to be healthy for minicamp. . . .

Springs (foot) and linebacker Marcus Washington (knee) missed practice again yesterday but assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams said, "I would expect them to play [sunday]." . . .

Injured linebacker Mike Barrow was excused from Redskins Park to attend the funeral of former NFL great Reggie White, a close friend.

wow...everything is looking great for us!! damn this sucks!! Smoot, what are you doing talking to champ?? you dont want to take the same road he did?? your a system DB :D(because we've had a thousand different Defensive systems and im being sarcastic)...but after the way chump looks?? c'mon Smoot..your a redskin!! DAMN I HATE FREE AGENCY!!

I'm sorry but consulting Champ about FA? Correct me if I am wrong but Champ was never a FA, he was traded while under contract and never even tasted the FA market, so just what in the hell is Champ saying? Stop poisoning Smoot's mind Champ, worry about getting burnt by WRs in Denver.

I guess a multimillion dollar contract, the most biggest, best and most loyal fanbase in the NFL is not enough for Smoot to stay in Washington, nor is being a part of the #2 defense in the NFL, with a chance next season to even be better.

I knew this was gonna happen. I knew after how we lost against Dallas that this Smoot issue was going to arise. This man is the truest Redskin we have. He LOATHES Dallas. We owe it to him to give him Springs money. Losing Smoot would be a huge detriment to this team's growth and I'm disgusted that Danny's not throwing the money at him.

Originally posted by TODD

I knew this was gonna happen. I knew after how we lost against Dallas that this Smoot issue was going to arise. This man is the truest Redskin we have. He LOATHES Dallas. We owe it to him to give him Springs money. Losing Smoot would be a huge detriment to this team's growth and I'm disgusted that Danny's not throwing the money at him.

Let him hit the market, and then we will see how much he hates Dallas. :)

Money talks and we have a big need.

You know the old saying,

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

:helmet: I dont think he will stay if he is offered the $$ he wants.............I don't think no one would do that! But we can't give him the $$$ b/c we are over cap and our 05 season hasnt even started! It will be a long haul to get out of this one. We need a team that is willing to stick together and rebuild, and make things right. Money controls the NFL now......teams play out the A@% for players and they dont do s*@& all season! We did that with Dion.......what a waste.........he was a joker on our team, and we wasted our money.:helmet:

I like Smoot a lot. However he's a bit on the small side and tends to get a little beat up over the course of a season. This has been even more true in Williams' system since he requires his CBs to blitz a good bit.

I'd really like to see us keep him for a "fair" dollar figure. The only problem is he still thinks of himself as a first round pick and he wants (and needs) to finally get paid.

Originally posted by skns4life

wow...everything is looking great for us!! damn this sucks!! Smoot, what are you doing talking to champ?? you dont want to take the same road he did?? your a system DB :D(because we've had a thousand different Defensive systems and im being sarcastic)...but after the way chump looks?? c'mon Smoot..your a redskin!! DAMN I HATE FREE AGENCY!!

I totally agree! F*ck Burnt Bailey!! We all know that all he's gonna do is bad mouth the Skins so why even talk to his ass?!??!

Look really want us to re-sign Smoot too, but if he's gonna be askin' for the type of money that we can't give him right now and if he's just about chasin' that dollar like sayin' "F*ck us" then I say, "F*ck him"

I don't care who it is, or how good they are...if they don't really want to be on our team, then WE shouldn't want them either!!

No one person is bigger than the team......NO ONE!!!

Originally posted by Destino

Those fat contracts to a no show linebacker and a QB that can't throw are coming back to haunt us.

BINGO!!

Don't be too mad at Smoot for wanting to get payed. He's answered the bell in my opinion and is exactly who we should be signing. If the reason we can't afford him is because of 1) the WORST off-season move by ANY team in the entire league (Brunnel) and 2) a MLB that only practiced like 5 times and never once stepped toe-on-field for a game THE ENTIRE SEASON, well then, don't get too mad at Smooty for wanting to get his share.

Talking to Champ does bum me out, although it could easliy be (HOPEFULLY be) a negotiating technique.

Archived