Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Transition Tag SMOOT?

vnmenon1

Understanding the Difference

• A club can designate one franchise player or one transition player in any given year.

• The salary level offer by a player's old club determines what type of franchise player he is.

• An "exclusive" franchise player -- not free to sign with another club -- is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 16, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

• If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a “non-exclusive” franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match. The signing period for non-exclusive franchise players to sign with new clubs is March 3 through November 9 (10th week of the season).

• A transition player has received a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

• A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22."

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a/franchisetransi.htm

we can easily get a first rounder for Smoot, and I bet we will franchise tag him if he decides not to re-sign. I dont understand really, I always though this whole season, as well as last season he wanted to remain a skin. Oh well, if he goes, please get a first round pick this year and draft Antrel Rolle or some other high caliber CB.

Id rather have Rolle if you ask me...SO IF WE CAN (AS YOU ALL SEEM TO BELIEVE) Let's get that first rounder for him , Get rolle w/ first pick, then get James/Kiwi/Spears/Pollack with second first rounder. Another option is the Guard out of UVa (He is gonna be special) and then DE with third pick. But if we get DE with second pick then Guard iwith third pick.

Seriously though if Smoot gets us a first rounder when we tag him all te more for it. I think he's kinda soft even though I love him to death, Rolle w/his tough play would fit our system better, and ultimately will be better than smoot.

Originally posted by afparent

it might be one of those things where if he doesn't want to be here then we might as well get something for him

Brilliant! :cheers:

That's what I say as well....We need draft picks in a bad way, and there are FA CB's that are just as good as Smoot....I like Gary Baxter from the Ravens, and Ken Lucas from the Seahawks...

Originally posted by Mr. S

we can easily get a first rounder for Smoot, and I bet we will franchise tag him if he decides not to re-sign. I dont understand really, I always though this whole season, as well as last season he wanted to remain a skin. Oh well, if he goes, please get a first round pick this year and draft Antrel Rolle or some other high caliber CB.

The only way we could get compensation for Smoot is with a franchise tag. We don't have anywhere near the cap space needed for this, so it really isn't an option.

Originally posted by jtyler42

Brilliant! :cheers:

That's what I say as well....We need draft picks in a bad way, and there are FA CB's that are just as good as Smoot....I like Gary Baxter from the Ravens, and Ken Lucas from the Seahawks...

Now you dont really beleive that Baxter or Lucas is as good as Smooty now do you?:rolleyes:

Unlike Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot desires to continue to play football for the Washington Redskins and Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams. He seems worried that he is not wanted here, because his contract talks stalled mid-way through the regular season.

Champ Bailey did not desire to continue to be a redskin. I heard it verbatim from his own mouth,"If there's a new defensive coordinator next year I won't be back," said Champ on a radio interview last christmas-time. The FO had nothing to do with it. Champ didn't want to play here, so he demanded an astronomical contract and then folded up his arms.

I just hope that Smooty takes what Champ tells him about business with a grain of salt. I can't figure why else he'd turn down top 10 cornerback money and then indicate that the FO doesn't want him around.

I think the transistional tag is a good option, it gives us the right to match without compensation but it does mean for us to be unable to match, a team has to be creative when doing any potenial deal with Smoot.

We could franchise tag him, but I don't believe any team, apart from maybe, just maybe, San Diego, who have 2 1st rounders and the guy who drafted Smoot for the Redskins in Marty, would pay the price and it ties up near $8M in cap space if we don't get a deal or a trade worked out quickly.

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

I think the transistional tag is a good option, it gives us the right to match without compensation but it does mean for us to be unable to match, a team has to be creative when doing any potenial deal with Smoot.

A transition tag on Smoot is a waste this year, because we don't have enough cap space to compete with teams that do have a lot of cap space and can outbid us for his services. Kansas City lost John Tait to the Bears last year for this very same reason, when the Bears put a poison pill in their contract that Kansas City couldn't match.

Originally posted by H@iL2Gibb$

What did the Jets do to L. Coles again? I mean, he WAS drafted in the 3rd round and yet the Jets were compensated for a 1st & 3rd from us. Can the Skins FO do that as well?

First of all Coles was a RESTRICTED free agent. Smoot is not. Smoot is an UNRESTRICTED free agent. The Jets had the option of matching our contract to Coles, but chose not to because they were being compensated with a high 1st round draft choice. They didn't get a 1st and 3rd. With Smoot we don't have these options.

What about not trading Smoot at all and signing him to the money he's worth because he's played well for the REDSKINS.

Now I hear all this talk of trading him and signing some guy because he played well for ANOTHER team?

That is our problem. We treat others too well, we treat our own like dirt.

Archived