Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot on Comcast!

afparent

Originally posted by shippy1973

Maybe I am just being biased here but Fred...where you gonna go that shows you the love like we do? Who will appreciate everything you have done as much as we do? Nobody!! They will always look at you because of the money you are getting paid. We know the kind of player you are in and out. You belong here. The team that took a chance on you when others did not. You had character flaws they said. The Skins drafted you. Believed in you. You learned the game from DG. This is the team that you lead right now!!! You have seniority here. You want to start over again? New team, new city, new fans, new players... You will totally lose what YOU have built here in Washington. The fans, the media, the RESPECT? Please... I am sure that the offer cannot be so bad that you think you can't be a Redskin.... Tell me it ain't so :doh:

Exactly what I was thinking. Good point about Darrell Green. If Fred were to stay here for his whole career, he would be retired as one of the 50 greatest Redskins. If he leaves, he will just be another damn good corner that gets beat from time to time. He's nothing super special as a straight-up football player, but he's special here. Why would he want to put that in jeopardy? This beats me.

I want him back as a player. But if he's SCREWING us hard for money then I guess we can say toodles.

Smoot deserves a good contract and I'm sure that the front office has made a generous offer, but who gets the feeling that he is holding out for top 5 CB money?

He may feel that he deserves as much as he can since he dropped to the 2nd round of the draft...missing out on a bigger rookie contract.

If he leaves, it would be a shame though...

Originally posted by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Exactly what I was thinking. Good point about Darrell Green. If Fred were to stay here for his whole career, he would be retired as one of the 50 greatest Redskins. If he leaves, he will just be another damn good corner that gets beat from time to time. He's nothing super special as a straight-up football player, but he's special here. Why would he want to put that in jeopardy? This beats me.

I want him back as a player. But if he's SCREWING us hard for money then I guess we can say toodles.

I love Smoot. He is a hell of a football player. This guy gives everything he has on every play and loves the game. I would be very disappointed if he leaves but like you said if he is trying to screw the team over then I will open the door for him. I would lose all respect if this is the case. Hell, I don't even get mad when he gets a flag or burned from time to time cause I know what he brings to the table. I hope he knows what he has here before he decides/thinks to bolt.

Smoot is one of the few heart and soul Redskins that has really battled for us without complaint. It's odd that he changed agents and still can't get a deal he likes.

This will work it self out and I am pretty confident we get a deal done.

On a side note, this is one of the problems we have to face if we keep firing up Redskins One each offseason and gobbling up free agents for big bucks, the players that have been here want the red carpet treatment also.

They could slap him with the Franchise Tag right? Worst case I know, but hell if he really wants to be here then he gets another year or so to get the contract done....

i dont think so, we put it on Champ and we have to wait a year before we can again. Ill check.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

i dont think so, we put it on Champ and we have to wait a year before we can again. Ill check.

ok: it depends on the timing of the Champ-Portis trade. If the trade was formally finalized by the league before March 17th, 2004; then the Skins might be able to use the Franchise tag this year. The date the trade was formally entered into is the key.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

ok: it depends on the timing of the Champ-Portis trade. If the trade was formally finalized by the league before March 17th, 2004; then the Skins might be able to use the Franchise tag this year. The date the trade was formally entered into is the key.

I forgot all about Roland burning us...Damn...I am pretty sure it was done before then. March 4th was the "official" press conference day for both teams. So I ASSUME that the league must have approved it shortly or before that date. I think the 17th date is ok.

Maybe I am just being biased here but Fred...where you gonna go that shows you the love like we do? Who will appreciate everything you have done as much as we do? Nobody!! They will always look at you because of the money you are getting paid. We know the kind of player you are in and out. You belong here. The team that took a chance on you when others did not. You had character flaws they said. The Skins drafted you. Believed in you. You learned the game from DG. This is the team that you lead right now!!! You have seniority here. You want to start over again? New team, new city, new fans, new players... You will totally lose what YOU have built here in Washington. The fans, the media, the RESPECT? Please... I am sure that the offer cannot be so bad that you think you can't be a Redskin.... Tell me it ain't so :doh:

Hey Bayougator,

Ask PR to tell Smoot that the fans say:

PLEASE DON'T GO!!!

Originally posted by Skins4SB

How do you think Antrel Rolle would look in a 'Skins jersey? :doh:

NO NO NO NO NO Rolle is a stiff. He's a safety in the NFL. He grabs on most plays, he's a guarenteed pass interference call three or four times a game. Carlos Rodgers over him!

Resigning smoot may not be as easy as some of you think it is. Franchising him will cost you alot in cap space next year due to all the money that was thrown around last year for CB's (and I'm sure Smoot wants to be paid just like they were last year) . You still have to resign Samuels and Pierce. Add to that you tied up a lot of money in Brunell, Portis, and Lavar last year. You signed a top 5 pick last year and a top 10 this year. Springs, Griffin, Washngton and Barrow got pretty good size signing bonuses as well. and Don't forget you will have to resign Ramsey in 2006. The front office will have to make some concessions somewhere. You have to believe Samuels is a priority Given the need to beef up your offensive and defensive lines. Good left tackles are not easy to find and are expensive. Also, the FO has to consider how much cap space they want to tie up in the defensive back field

Originally posted by DallasInDC

Resigning smoot may not be as easy as some of you think it is. Franchising him will cost you alot in cap space next year due to all the money that was thrown around last year for CB's (and I'm sure Smoot wants to be paid just like they were last year) . You still have to resign Samuels and Pierce. Add to that you tied up a lot of money in Brunell, Portis, and Lavar last year. You signed a top 5 pick last year and a top 10 this year. Springs, Griffin, Washngton and Barrow got pretty good size signing bonuses as well. and Don't forget you will have to resign Ramsey in 2006. The front office will have to make some concessions somewhere. You have to believe Samuels is a priority Given the need to beef up your offensive and defensive lines. Good left tackles are not easy to find and are expensive. Also, the FO has to consider how much cap space they want to tie up in the defensive back field

At this point, these are issues that are figured in without mentioning around here. We've talked about them so much, I think most of us were dreaming about the cap situation. We are ALL aware of who needs to be paid. But I guess someone who has more that 11 posts over a 6 month time frame would know that. ;)

:dallasuck

If Gregg Williams can get a defense with no name players to be #2 than all I can say is " Goodbye Smoot and Thanks for your time"

Smoot is an average/good CB and there is no reason to overpay a CB. Just go over to OrangeMane and ask them about Roland and they will agree.

Archived