Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot has 'gut feeling' he might not be back

Sire

Originally posted by Akhhorus

You forgot Jansen. Who took a lesser contract to stay with the Skins.

Besides Stephen Davis' 1000 yard year in 03, who exactly from the skins has done really well after leaving? Champ made the pro bowl this year(he shouldnt have). Shawn Barber has disappeared after a good year in Philly. Trotter got to the Pro Bowl this year thanks to Philly's record.

How about Albert Connell? Who left the Skins for the Saints and not only sucked, but got arrested for stealing from another player!

and from the four best team this year: Philly, New England, Pittsburgh and Indy: how many of their players are FAs they signed and how many did they draft? Out of the roster, the players who weren't drafted(with some research): Philly has 19 players who werent drafted by them, Pittsburgh has 25, Pats have 27, Indy has 13. The skins have 20.

Smootie is good, actually pretty good, but not great.

If he wants great money, he doesnt deserve it.

If he wants to play the loyal Redskins card, then that's good, but he seems to have wasted it by playing a marginal hand caused by his many PIs.

I agree with the posts that want to upgrade the OL. Samuels is still on his rookie contract - a high first rounder contract at that which is overpaying his performance. He needs to scale down or be gone.

Pierce is the real keeper here. If its between Pierce or Smoot I would keep Pierce in a heartbeat. No LB in recent Skins history has been as consistently effective. Being that he's a smart Gibbs kind of player, the kind that Lavar never has been and likely never will be, Pierce cannot be lost to paying Smoot outrageous money.

Smoot gets about 3 to 6 INTs a year - not all-world by any means. Champ has stolen his money since he's been in the league - he still has exactly one INT return for a TD in his 5 or 6 years in the NFL. Barf.

If Smoot sees himself as another Champ, well, he might be right. An overpaid non-game-changer that the NFL is already full of.

If he's just running his mouth, then that's OK. That's Smoot and that's business.

But business works both ways and if he thinks his Champ-like play earns him the same payday I say let him get it elsewhere where the rest of league will learn what we already know about both Champ and his wanna-be overpaid CB.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Oh yeah, right.....this is ALL about Smoot's relentless pursuit of a championship.....if that was his priority, no way any player would walk away from a Joe Gibb's coached team, I don't care how we played his first season back.

I disagree. Lets be real. We have been to the playoffs exactly one time in the past decade. IF you want to win a championship don't come to Washington. You come here to get paid -- not to win.

Until we have a real GM running this team we are going to be a .500 team. (I put full blame on not having any capable O-lineman on the front office; whoever is there).

--- And on side note. Did anyone read the article about Mike Nolan and how Snyder would leave vanilla ice cream containers outside of his office in 1999? What a pr-ck.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

and from the four best team this year: Philly, New England, Pittsburgh and Indy: how many of their players are FAs they signed and how many did they draft? Out of the roster, the players who weren't drafted(with some research): Philly has 19 players who werent drafted by them, Pittsburgh has 25, Pats have 27, Indy has 13. The skins have 20.

Amen! A-mother-f..king-men

Originally posted by jtyler42

Can anyone say Gary Baxter...He is under-rated, and he wont command as much money as Smoot....I hope we can resign Smoot kinda b/c he is becoming one of the leaders on this D but Baxter is a big/fast physical corner that fits this scheme to a T!

Actually, I don't think Baxter is all that great.

Damn you guys need to calm down. It's like he's already gone. If you don't think the FO will make a huge attempt to retain him, you're wrong. I think this is just a mind trick to try and get the organization to get the deal done. Smoot has said repeatedly that he wants to stay here, and I believe that will be the case.

The thing that irks me more though is the fact that Smoot is still young. Considering Springs is already in what is the final phase of his career, if Smoot leaves and we don't find an ample replacement THIS OFFSEASON, then we are looking at having to try and find 2 quality corners to replace the void left behind.

can't blame some people for feeling he's gone. Players have said in the past that they want to stay where they're at and it's not about the money and they end up leaving. Sad to say, but money talks.

LOL, I still remember when Daryl Gardener said that stuff.

I remember the offseason before Champ's last season here, Snyder went on the Jim Rome show and said that he was going to do everything possible in his power to keep Champ Bailey, even if it meant the franchise tag, and then after the season, he was traded after all that talk by Snyder. I haven't heard him say that about Smoot yet, and it already sounds like contract talks have hit a wall early on. Smoot should know by Bailey's exit, that the Skins don't balk when they do decide to cap a contract at a certain amount, and that other arrangements will be made if necessary.

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

--- And on side note. Did anyone read the article about Mike Nolan and how Snyder would leave vanilla ice cream containers outside of his office in 1999? What a pr-ck.

I would've thrown the containers at his head for that poor ass D he put on the field while he was here.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I remember the offseason before Champ's last season here, Snyder went on the Jim Rome show and said that he was going to do everything possible in his power to keep Champ Bailey, even if it meant the franchise tag, and then after the season, he was traded after all that talk by Snyder. I haven't heard him say that about Smoot yet, and it already sounds like contract talks have hit a wall early on. Smoot should know by Bailey's exit, that the Skins don't balk when they do decide to cap a contract at a certain amount, and that other arrangements will be made if necessary.

I'm pretty sure that since Gibbs had taken over it was his decision to let Bailey go. Pretty good one too I might add considering his season in Denver. If we had resigned Bailey we wouldnt be able to even consider resigning Smoot, Pierce, and whoever else we need to keep around.

Also, Philly just resigned Sheppard to a pretty small contract compared to Bailey and he made the pro bowl over Smoot. I dont think Smoot has much to stand on when asking for a huge contract even if he had a better season than Sheppard and I guess he didn't.

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

I disagree. Lets be real. We have been to the playoffs exactly one time in the past decade. IF you want to win a championship don't come to Washington. You come here to get paid -- not to win.

Thats essentially saying that we have no more hope now with Joe Gibbs at the helm than we did with Norv, Marty, or Spurrier.

If you honestly believe that, I don't know how you can go on being a Redskins fan? I HAVE to believe Gibbs is re-building something special here. If Smoot wants to take his chances somewhere else, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I think Smoot's picked the most inopportune and un-wise time to consider a change possible. He leaves, he'll live to regret it.

it's unfortunate that the player always seems to be the one saying to the media and fans that, "if they want me here they'll make it happen." instead of the team saying to the media, "if he wants to stay here he'll make it happen." it should be a wonderful compromise that the player gets fairly payed and the player gets to stay with the team... why is this so goddamn hard?

it seems that nobody can settle for what they are worth anymore, or what they deserve to get.... it's always more, more, more... and i hate to say it but the Dan Snyders of the world are the one's that make it this way.

Archived