Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reviewing the Snyder drafts

Riggo-toni

Don't ask why I'm bringing this up now...I just had a hair up my tuckus...

2000: The Cerrato Draft

1. Lavar Arrington - the Lavar giveth, and the Lavar taketh away. Lavar and his fellow 1st rounder Samuels finally found their deserving spot on the pro sportswriters All Overrated team. Arrington wins games with his athleticism, and loses them with his overpursuit and mistakes. His cap figures, along with Samuels, far exceed his worth.

1b. Samuels - One good season in 4, yet every year we hear he's been hampered by playing hurt, or that he's just about to turn the corner. Samuels is a very good OT, but he's not a great one, and we're paying him like he's a couple steps above all-pro. The loss of Jansen devastated us this year. The dropoff from Samuels to Winey last year wasn't nearly as noticeable.

3. Lloyd Harrison - the first of Vinny's perennial 3rd round busts. :doh:

4. Michael Moore - bust, both as a player and an annoying moviemaker...

5.Quincy Sanders - bust

6. Todd Husak - probably playing in NFLE these days.

7. Delbert Cowsette - bust

7b. Ethan Howell - bust

Grade: D IMHO, this is the draft that really killed us. It did far more long term damage to our cap than the more publicized FA spending spree of the same year. No 2nd day picks, and the only 2 that make the team are cap-killers. The only reason this isn't an F is because we didn't pick up a bust with those high picks (hello, Courtney...)

2001:The Marty Draft

1. Gardner - Inconsistent. Unfortunate that we didn't take Chad Johnson or maybe Chris Chambers. Still, he might just explode next year and prove all the doubters wrong...but I'm not holding my breath.

2. Smoot - Excellent pickup. One of the best CBs around. It seemed to be the rule in this draft that all the best players (Kris Jenkins, Chad Johnson, Shaun Rodgers, etc. went in the 2nd round)

3. Gave up to sign Schotferbrains

4. Sage Rosenfels - wasted pick. Should've been used on OL. McMahon would've been a better choice for QB

5. "Darkerian" McCants - impresses me everytime he sees the field. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened much this year.

6. Mario Monds - cut

7. Traded away

C+

2002: The Mendes/Cerrato draft

1.Ramsey - Looks good, but the jury is still out. Might turn out to have been the steal of the draft if his decision-making and long-range accuracy improve. So far, has been more impressive than Harrington, and debatably as good or better than Carr.

2. Ladell Betts - Durability has been a concern. Unknown if he can play a whole season, but has looked very good in the limited chances he's had. Still, one has to wonder if we couldn't have picked him up in round 3 or even 4. I'm really looking forward to what he might do this week, since I think he's more suited to Gibbs' staple running plays.

3. Rashad Bauman - pretty close to being a bust. I can't believe we traded up to get this guy.

3b.Cliff Brittle...er.. Russell. An absolute bust.

The worst thing about this 3rd rounder is we gave up the opportunity to draft DE Weaver to get the extra pick to land this guy. :doh: Just think, we could've landed Weaver at DE in the 2nd, and more than likely picked up Betts with the 3rd we wasted on Bauman. And the downsides of both these guys was quite apparent. Russell never lasted a full season in college, why would he stay healthy in the pros. And Bauman was 5'8" when we drafted him....

4. Didn't have a pick (we traded it to move up to take Bauman :doh: )

5. Andre Lott - finally came on strong this year before getting hurt, just in time to become a RFA.

5b. Robert Royal - Just when we were about to throw him in with Russell, he suddenly stays healthy for the entire year, and proves he can catch TD passes, just in time to become a RFA.

6. Reggie Coleman - cut

7. Jeff Grau- cut

7b.Gregory Scott - cut

7c. Rock Cartwright - made a certain ravishing blonde from Texas very happy. Was very effective in the red zone in '03. Hampered in '04 by bad advice to lose weight - could've been the short-yardage back we so desparately needed. Was a good value, but we've wasted his talents. He'll be successful elsewhere. Look for the Panthers to pick him up under the recommendations of his buddy Stephen Davis.

Overall Grade: B, but that could change to an A- if Ramsey becomes pro-bowl material, or a C if (heaven forbid) he fails to progress.

2003 Vinny in Control

Several of the picks went to signing RFAs, which, other than Morton, proved to be a brilliant strategy.

1. Gave up to sign Coles. Could've been the steal of the decade if it weren't for that $%^& toe injury.

2. Taylor Jacobs - gave up the chance to get Mike Doss, which doesn't seem so bad now that we have Sean Taylor. Still, this was a wasted pick, thanks to Spurrier's desire to re-unite with one of his soldiers. Another in a long line of UF WR disappointments.

3. Derrick Dockery - jury still out.

4. Traded for Dung Canidate

5. Traded (can't remember whom we got for this one. Was it Loverne?)

6. Went to sign Bowen

7. Gibram Hamdan - bust Signing a punter here would've won us at least a couple more games.

Grade: C-

2004 Gibbs et al

1. Sean Taylor - looks like a star in the making

2. Traded as part of the Portis deal

3. Cooley (from next year's 2nd rd after trading ours for...Brunell :doh1: ) - the next Frank Wychek. Great pick

4. Traded for pick to surrender to Jets for Chad Morton

5. Wilson - jury still out

6. Molinaro - jury still out

7. Traded

Grade: Incomplete. If the OL picks turn out to be diamonds in the rough, and Taylor is the next Kenny Houston, this might turn out to have been a great draft, despite p!ssing away a couple high round picks.

And before anyone brings up 1999, Snyder didn't get control of the team until AFTER that draft. (For the record, everyone Casserly picked after Bailey and Jansen was a bust).

It's quite obvious that we'ce done a great job with our higher picks. But when it comes to finding diamonds in the rough, we continue to fail consistently. I don't know what it is, lack of good scouts, bad jugdment, but it needs to change.

Also, I think the 2001 draft was better than a C+. We got two starters (possibly three if Darnerian ever gets a shot) and a QB who is going to be starting this weekend (for another team though :doh: ). Monds was a bust who never even made it on the team. But he was only a 6th rounder, so it's not that bad.

Originally posted by thito_da_skins_fan

He's a good friend of mine. I wouldn't call him a bust. Not really given a fair chance, IMO.

He's just been signed to an arena league team in Denver if anyone cares. Great person. I wish he had a better opportunity in Washington.

didn't he follow Marty to SD for a couple of years?

Originally posted by RedskinsNation

Good analyisis, i enjoyed reading it.

I also second that. I enjoyed reading it.

But, I'd also like to point out we've had a few undrafted rookies that have shown promise. Antonio Pierce and Lemar Marshall in 2001. Chris Clemons, who looks promising as a blitzing LB, and Ade Jimoh, who has played well as of late and made the team against all odds, in 2003.

I'll admit we've had some rough drafts. I'd guess there's other teams that have had worse.

We've also picked up some good free agents. Could our front office improve? Yes. Is it as horrible as everyone makes it out to be? No.

Originally posted by RedskinsNation

Good analyisis, i enjoyed reading it.

Just remember about 50% of the guys drafted by ALL teams dont turn out to be great.

Out of 7 choices...usually 3 are cut w/in a year or 2....1 will stay with team as a role player and maybe move on....and 3 will be starters (maybe)... Its a crapshoot really.

Exactly.

If anyone remembers, Shanahan "the genius", this past August cut 6 players that he drafted between 2003 - 2004 - 2 of which were 2nd and 3rd round picks, not to mention signing huge contracts to people like Daryl Gardner and Lionel Dalton who each were cut one year later, and let Bertrand Berry go to Arizona where he is now the sack leader in the NFL.

Originally posted by jimster

didn't he follow Marty to SD for a couple of years?

Nah.

He was with the Skins on and off, roster and practice squad, until 2003. He signed a one-year contract with Tampa during the off-season this year. Tampa released him and he spent the 2004 training camp with Coughlin and the Giants. New York released him and he's been out of football since. As I said, he recently was signed by an arena league team in Denver. I believe he left yesterday.

He definitely deserves a shot. Hard worker and a great person.

Originally posted by thito_da_skins_fan

Nah.

He was with the Skins on and off, roster and practice squad, until 2003. He signed a one-year contract with Tampa during the off-season this year. Tampa released him and he spent the 2004 training camp with Coughlin and the Giants. New York released him and he's been out of football since. As I said, he recently was signed by an arena league team in Denver. I believe he left yesterday.

He definitely deserves a shot. Hard worker and a great person.

that's right. Del went to Maryland, right?

I'm thinking of Otis Leverette. - I think he was picked up in 2000 and went to SD with Marty in 2002.

Great post Riggotoni. I pretty much agree with most of it. The only thing I'd beg to differ with is that the assessments of the 2003 2nd and 3rd rounders should be reversed. Dockery has been the bust and Jacobs has actually looked un U. of FL like. Which is to say pretty good--when he's had a chance to play. Once it became apparent the season was done, he probably should have been starting instead of 50/50.

Ahhh, Del "Tha Funky Homosapien" Cowsette. I always was fond of him because of the name and because I'll always pull for TerpSkins. I hope he does well in Arena League.

Originally posted by Riggotoni

2000: The Cerrato Draft

1. Lavar Arrington - the Lavar giveth, and the Lavar taketh away. Lavar and his fellow 1st rounder Samuels finally found their deserving spot on the pro sportswriters All Overrated team. Arrington wins games with his athleticism, and loses them with his overpursuit and mistakes. His cap figures, along with Samuels, far exceed his worth.

1b. Samuels - One good season in 4, yet every year we hear he's been hampered by playing hurt, or that he's just about to turn the corner. Samuels is a very good OT, but he's not a great one, and we're paying him like he's a couple steps above all-pro. The loss of Jansen devastated us this year. The dropoff from Samuels to Winey last year wasn't nearly as noticeable.

3. Lloyd Harrison - the first of Vinny's perennial 3rd round busts.

4. Michael Moore - bust, both as a player and an annoying moviemaker...

5.Quincy Sanders - bust

6. Todd Husak - probably playing in NFLE these days.

7. Delbert Cowsette - bust

7b. Ethan Howell - bust

Grade: D IMHO, this is the draft that really killed us. It did far more long term damage to our cap than the more publicized FA spending spree of the same year. No 2nd day picks, and the only 2 that make the team are cap-killers. The only reason this isn't an F is because we didn't pick up a bust with those high picks (hello, Courtney...)

You are totally overlooking the WORST TRADE in NFL History we made to get that #3 pick from San Francisco . Were we gave up 2 #1's a 4th and 5th round pick to move up from 12 to 3. We got bent over the headboard.

I would grade like this:

2000 - F (14 Draft picks and only ending up with 2 starters who were obvious picks at #2 and #3)

2001 - B+ (Say what you want but all players are still in the league; with 3 starting)

Agree with the rest although I honestly think the 2002 draft is more of a 'c' type of draft considering we traded down twice and Danny has a panic attack when Denver took Portis.

I think our best draft was this past year.

I also really like the fact that you have included the cap impacts of Arrington and Samuels in your analysis of the '00 draft. I think that underperformance in both cases combined with a boatload of bad money thrown at LA & CS in the form of extensions and renegotiations makes these picks as bad a taking a bust like courtney brown, who never makes an impact on the field but can be taken off the books with little pain.

I know Arrington is a popular guy around here, but there is the strong potential that he will turn out to be cap burden several times more disasterous than Brunell.

Archived