Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking news: For those who believe that De kiwi being 6'7 250 is small

convince

There was a guy drafted in the 1997 draft in the 3rd round, that was 6-6 245 -255, his name is Jason Taylor

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3968

and there also was a De drafted in the 1999 6-4 235, not that is small, his name is Jevon Kearse, now he is 6-4 265

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4664

So what am I getting at? Great talent is hard to find, but you can always put on weight. Oh yea eh is playing in a bowl game today either on espn, or espn2.

Originally posted by convince

There was a guy drafted in the 1997 draft in the 3rd round, that was 6-6 245 -255, his name is Jason Taylor

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3968

and there also was a De drafted in the 1999 6-4 235, not that is small, his name is Jevon Kearse, now he is 6-4 265

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4664

So what am I getting at? Great talent is hard to find, but you can always put on weight. Oh yea eh is playing in a bowl game today either on espn, or espn2.

You forgot to mention Dwight Freeney and KGB. :D

I think every player ever drafted is hyped because they have the "potential" to be good.

But nobody has the ability to look ahead and see what lies ahead....every player is a gamble no matter what school they played at, what position they play or their size. You cant teach height and you cant teach speed...

Anybody could be a bust.

I dont think that any of the available DE's is head and shoulders above the rest...they all have negatives about their game(s).

I think gambling on Kiwi would be just as big of a gamble as a Big Ben, Courtney Brown, Keyshawn Johnson, Peter Warrick, Ray Lewis, Tony Mandarich....some make it, some dont.

My point is that NO PLAYER is a lock to become a living legend so no matter who you take your gonna be gambling...now lets hope he could hit the weights a little bit and learn from some NFL coaches....but every draftee will have that surrounding them.

Its a crapshoot really.

Taylor and Kearse were obvious talents.

I saw Taylor at the Senior Bowl and it was amazing how quick he was. You could tell that IF he could hold up he would be a good DE because he was amazingly quick.

It will be interesting to see if Kiwi has such a showing.

Originally posted by Om

To cream or to clear, that is the question.

:nono:

Seriously, I like what I've read about Spears (from experts). He's well-rounder in run d and Pass rush, not Kearse speed, but can overpower 300 tackles. He's huge and a mauler. He just doesn't match his intensity to his emmense athletic ability. Tell you what, if Taylor, Lavar, and Williams can't get his intensity to match that of a monster, no one can. I don't want just a speed rusher, I want someone who can do it all. At the same time, I'm hoping we can trade down and get this guy. He seems like a real sleeper to me.

The announcers just said that after the Syracuse loss, Kiwi was leaning toward leaving. But now, he leaning more toward staying.

I've only watched a couple of plays, and he didn't get much pressure everytime. The tackle he is going against is pretty big and it looks like he is struggling to get past him.

Originally posted by The X-Factor

I've only watched a couple of plays, and he didn't get much pressure everytime.

Try and get some tape to watch more of him, you'll see he's a beast.

And did you not watch the beginning of the game, where he was absolutely blowing up running plays in the backfield? :notworthy

Originally posted by Warhead36

How's he doing today?

I watch a lot of College 'ball, but in this game I only watched the first half, and here alone you can tell he is very much one of the "Freak" type DEs. Like a Kearse of Peppers.

Extremely athletic. Always chasing down RBs on the second level, blowing stuff up in the backfield, and of course - getting to the QB (even tho it's been far from his best day rushing the passer).

He is going one on one against some random tackle and he isn't getting any pressure. None. I am not enamored with him. Maybe if he stayed for another year, he would be good next year, but he is too much of a project. I don't see him making a big impact his rookie year.

Originally posted by JWB

Maybe if he stayed for another year, he would be good next year, but he is too much of a project. I don't see him making a big impact his rookie year.

That's a lot to judge from one game (if you've even watched all of it, by the sounds of you haven't.)

Why don't you watch a game where he dominates, and perhaps with your quick judgement, you might say he's the best collegiate DE in the last decade. :D

Mike Mamula and Jamal Reynolds lacked long arms. This ultimately affects their leverage and play style. Kiwi has a wing span that is longer than his height, 6'7"! Even if he doesn't rush the passer, from a technical standpoint, extremely well, he can use his arms to shed blockers and make tackles or sacks. He can have an immediate impact.

Here's my homer comment of the thread:

Spears may lack NFL speed. Has a great frame but may not be able to gain leverage or beat OTs to the outside.

Kiwi.....well, I like him, but he does have weaknesses as people have exploited.

James.....possibly helped by an extremely dominant interior line, may have injury trouble in the pro's - "one year wonder"?

So what about David Pollack? People are so quick to say "no" and promote one of the above, or others, but Pollack is a stud. He's equally as good rushing the passer as playing the run, is a much better emotional leader than anyone above, has a lot of experience and knows what it takes to win. He's a tough player that plays with more emotion than I have seen from any other top prospect.

He's fallen off the radar somewhat (except with obsessed CBS commentators) recently....I think he'd be a great pick around #15-20.

Originally posted by RedDawg36

That's a lot to judge from one game (if you've even watched all of it, by the sounds of you haven't.)

Why don't you watch a game where he dominates, and perhaps with your quick judgement, you might say he's the best collegiate DE in the last decade. :D

lets see him do it against a major program, the BC schedule was rather weak when compared to Georgia & LSU & Wisconsin.

your susposed to watch his good and bad. If hes getting abused by a UNC tackle imagine what will happen when he faces tra thomas or flozell adams.

I have already seen him on his back twice, and havent heard his name on a tackle yet. This guy could be good down the road but hes going to get abused in the run game. If we draft a DE we need one that can stop the run as well as get a pass rush. But not one or the other. We need Chris Canty

6-7 290lbs He remides me more of peppers than this kiwanka guy. He can stop the run and hes always in the backfeild. And hes fast. The best part about him is we might be able to get with the 3rd pick.

http://virginiasports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/canty_chris00.html

He had 104 tackles last season as a lineman and averaged 8 tackles a game. Thats beastly. That means he can get to people fast and at the line of scrimage.

He played against good teams in the ACC too. He played against teams like this UNC team that is abusing Kiwanuka. and FS, and Maryland, and VTech.

We should not waste our 1st round pick on this guy we need OFFENSE.

Official Offensive pick Band wagon memeber

Originally posted by Akhhorus

lets see him do it against a major program, the BC schedule was rather weak when compared to Georgia & LSU & Wisconsin.

Boston College might not have played in the SEC, or against a number of ranked opponents, but that's not to say he didn't face good tackles. It's not to say he did, either.

But just because guys at big schools (Pollack, Spears, James) played big team opposition, doesn't mean their opposing OT was all that great, or even good at all.

Of course you'll get your Jammal Brown, Alex Barron, D'Brickashaw Ferguson but it doesn't happen often. Who did Spears face, for example? I can only remember the game he had against Auburn, and he didn't have much success then, as I remember.

Looking at a DE's team opposition as a negative is weaker than looking at a QB's opposition, and look how that's turning out for guys like Pennington and Leftwich.

Archived