Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JangoFett

What is Dan Henning Doing in Carolina..

that Coach Gibbs, JB, DB and co. are not in DC? Henning was on Joe's staff for our first two super bowl victories and with the Panthers Henning runs--or at least had been running--a very similar offense to the vintage Gibbs offenses in the glory years of the 80's and early 90's. That offense has contributed to an nfc championship last year (and 30+ points against a tought patriots D in the SB) and a red hot offense that has reeled off 6 wins in the last 7 games, scoring 37, 35, 21, 32, 20, 31 and 37 pts during that streak. And that's after losing the No. 1 WR, a 1400-yd back, the back up RB, the back up's back up RB and suffering a depleted OL. Is it that Jake Delhomme and Mushin Muhammad that have simply emerged as stars who can carry thier offense? What sort of changes to the scheme is Henning running that has made their offense so explosive that our coaches can't seem to uncover?

The panthers have shown that the basic scheme of power running between the tackles, play-action deep passes and WR option routes can succeed brilliantly in today's game. My suspicion is that coach Gibbs feels that he can't open up the offense until the OL shores up and run-blocks and pass-protects on a more consistent basis. It's just painful to watch how ultra-conservative the O has become when an comparable scheme being executed by a team with similar offensive talent is showing explosiveness. Let's hope that by next season with the return of Jansen Buges can turn the dirtbags into one league's best OLs. That seems to me to be the key to unlocking the offense from its current ultra conservative manifestation. HTTR!

It is the same offense. Henning has better players, most notably a better offensive line and a more experienced quarterback.

Gibbs is not being conservative, the team is just not ready yet. Wait until next year, we will look more like the Panthers offense.

The only thing that the Panther's/Henning have on the Skins is three years with that system...let's see next year and the following years how this offense works out. :D

its all those things combined

- a team that's been together a little longer, better O-line, receivers that get a little more seperation than ours are now (Coles' injury) and receivers that can catch.

Oh, the shotgun formation! isn't that nice and modern for today's NFL. Hennings is a Gibbs guy, and even he sees the need for the shotgun formation. I think Patrick would be a lot more comfortable throwing from there in passing downs.

Originally posted by TheSkipper

It is the same offense. Henning has better players, most notably a better offensive line and a more experienced quarterback.

Huh? They lost their 2 best starting rb's, had only 2 oline starters return this year, and has a qb who is only in his 2nd year as a starter.

Henning's system is very similar to Gibbs but he's been in the league the whole time. Gibbs will get it going...

Gibbs may actually contact Henning and discuss some of the things he has seen this yr and how he handles things....Gibbs trusted him enough to be our OC before so I'm sure he will call on him for some suggestions....

Injuries have hit their O-line too.

Their offense is better COACHED, the playcalling is SUPERIOR, the passing game and route design are BETTER, Muhammad is a better WR than an injured Coles or Gardner and Peppers has been killing.

But again, let's lay off the "oh they jsut have better players." they have SOME better players. Their O-line talent isn't any better. It just meshes better, even with injuries.

They have a poor o-line. 3 of their starters were taken away in FA this past off-season. They had to move their stud RT to LT. They just find ways to win and overcome injury something we dont do.

Originally posted by TheSkipper

Gibbs is not being conservative, the team is just not ready yet. Wait until next year, we will look more like the Panthers offense.

A more composed quarterback would be a more accurate statement. Coming into this season Delhomme had exactly one more NFL start than Ramsey. Delhomme did have a nice year in 1999 over in Europe, but until 2002 he served almost exclusively as the third QB on New Orleans offense (i.e. very little snaps during practice).

Despite the fact that Delhomme is four years older than Ramsey, the two have similar experience levels. That is ofcourse unless you buy the theory that quarterbacks refine their skills through osmosis.

Delhomme has certainly taken full advantage the opportunities given to him and left no room to question his status as Carolina's quarterback. Hopefully Patrick will soon do the same.

Originally posted by TimFolk

They have a poor o-line. 3 of their starters were taken away in FA this past off-season. They had to move their stud RT to LT. They just find ways to win and overcome injury something we dont do.

Okay, all of you that say they have a poor o-line, and have a lot of injuries, take a look at their games and take a look at ours.

Their line blows teams off the ball, and gives Delhomme time to pass it. Ours does neither. That is the difference between our teams right now. The may have lost players to free agency last year, but the guys they have in there right now are much better than ours.

I am a Panther season ticket holder living in Charlotte and so I get to see both them and the Skins on a weekly basis. The talent level on offense is pretty similar (with Smith, Davis, and Foster out). With those 3 in the lineup the Panthers are clearly more talented from a personnel perspective.

The main difference in the two teams is quarterback play. Delhomme just has that "it" that people talk about. He makes plays, moves around in the pocket, etc. I don't know how to explain it other than he just has that something that you look for in a quarterback. Thus far I am not sure Ramsey has it.

Another difference between the two teams is the Panther offense seems more simplified pre-snap. Very little shifting. The only movement tends to be a receiver going in motion

One thing that Henning does well is take shots down the field. They run a ton of play action and if a guy has single coverage Delhomme throws it to him. He purposely underthrows deep balls and lets the receiver make plays on it or draw interference.

Dan Henning is also in the last year of his contract with Carolina. Henning did not use a shotgun formation in 2002 because Rodney Peete did not want to use the shotgun, but Jake Delhomme likes it so they implemint it. Carolina has a good o-line, but it has made due with a lot of patch jobs...especially at LG,RG, and RT. Henning is a good OC, however...Panther fans really don't appreciate him...except for me of course.

Originally posted by I.M. Fletch

Dan Henning is also in the last year of his contract with Carolina. Henning did not use a shotgun formation in 2002 because Rodney Peete did not want to use the shotgun, but Jake Delhomme likes it so they implemint it. Carolina has a good o-line, but it has made due with a lot of patch jobs...especially at LG,RG, and RT. Henning is a good OC, however...Panther fans really don't appreciate him...except for me of course.

*Mr Burns Voice* Excellent .....

As a Panther fan, I would not like to see Henning leave. However, the Carolina offense is doing so well that it can almost run itself which is a credit to Dan Henning. He's done an outstanding job with the exact same system. I think Dan would really help Joe. They are still good friends which I read in an article way back when Gibbs was first hired.