Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Talk NFL with Pro Football Weekly!

bubba9497

Talk NFL with Pro Football Weekly!

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=6856

Mike Holbrook: Thanks for joining me for today's chat from Pro Football Weekly. On to the questions...

Todd, Buffalo: Why hasn't Mike Mularky getting more attention as coach of the year. He has done a wonderful job turning the Bills around

Mike Holbrook: Todd: There have been so many top-notch coaching jobs in the league this year that Mularkey is kind of getting lost in the shuffle. He definitely deserves mention with the best coaches in 2004. However, John Fox in Carolina, Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego and Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh have also done remarkable jobs and will likely be the top contenders for the COY award.

Timmy Boston, MA: PFW - Do you see the Pats/Steelers in the AFC Champonship if so, who do you think will win?

Mike Holbrook: Timmy- I've been saying all along that I like the Patriots to win a rematch with the Steelers for one big reason- Corey Dillon. Remember that Dillon didn't play vs. the Steelers in Week Eight and New England had five bad minutes with a couple uncharacteristic turnovers. Blitzing Tom Brady doesn't work as well as it does vs. other quarterbacks. He generally makes good decisions quickly and has the arm strength to exploit a blitzing team's secondary. I think the addition of Dillon vs. the Steelers would give the Pats enough balance to win the game.

TIM GLEN HEAD NY: WHO IS THE DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR REED OR PEPPERS

Mike Holbrook: TIm: Great question. Both Julius Peppers and Ed Reed are highly deserving players and you can make a solid case that their teams wouldn't be alive for playoff berths without them. However, I'm going to vote for Steelers LB James Farrior - who has been outstanding and the leader of the league's best defense. Watch him in the playoffs. The man is all over the field, making plays and is a big reason for Pittsburgh's remarkable run to the top of the AFC.

Steve N (Glen Allen, VA): What do the Steelers do with Plax this year? Franchise tag?

Mike Holbrook: Steve: If the salary cap grows enough this offseason, and there is reason to believe it will jump up to $5 million, I think the Steelers will try to keep Burress. However, they will not mortgage the future for an inconsistent player coming off an injury-plagued year. He's definitely a big part of the Steelers' passing game, but I've got a feeling they believe Antwaan Randle El is ready to assume those same duties opposite Hines Ward.

David (Raleigh, NC): Are the Vicks and Eagles afraid of the Panthers in the playoffs? Is that why they both laid down for the two other teams who are challenging the Panthers for the playoff spot?

Mike Holbrook: David: I don't think the Falcons or Eagles are afraid of the Panthers. But I can assure you, they're not looking forward to facing the Panthers if they make the playoffs. I think Carolina has the best shot to knock off the Eagles for two reasons - the pass rush has been outstanding of late and Jake Delhomme is a winner. Plus, Carolina has a history of winning in Philly last January and that should give them confidence in a possible rematch.

Rob(Woodbury,NJ): who do you think is offensive rookie of the year? kevin jones or michael clayton? roethlisberger i dont consider to be one of the top 2 since he consistently puts up mediocre numbers.

Mike Holbrook: Rob: I hear you regarding Big Ben. However, he puts up mediocre numbers due to Bill Cowher's ultra-conservative playcalling. I think Roethlisberger has been beyond impressive this year with the way he has handled the pressure, executed the game plan and kept a Steelers team that was picked to finish in the bottom half of the AFC on top of the conference. Think about this: most of Roethlisberger's pass attempts come on third down - a passing down - when opposing defenses are lined up to stop the pass. More often than not, he has gotten the job done by completing third-down throws to keep drives alive. A lot of credit goes to WRs Hines Ward, Lee Mays, Plaxico Burress and Antwaan Randle El, but Big Ben has to make accurate throws against a defense that's playing the pass. That's not easy. And that's a good reason to make him the Offensive Rookie of the Year. Numbers aren't everything.

Nate (Rochester, NY): Who do you think will win Sunday's game, the Jets or the Rams?

Mike Holbrook: Nate: This should be a great game since both teams' playoff hopes could depend on it. The Rams are a much tougher team at home than on the road. Ultimately, I just have a feeling that the Jets' defense will rise up and the Rams' defense won't be able to stop Curtis Martin, LaMont Jordan and Company. Jets in a squeaker.

Bob (Columbus, OH): Who will be the 2 wild card teams in the AFC? I'm calling the Jets and Buffalo

Mike Holbrook: Bob: The Bills have a great chance to beat the Steelers since Pittsburgh's going to be resting players. But they still need help. I don't know if the Colts will provide enough to beat the Broncos since it's hard to see Peyton Manning and Company playing more than a half. So, it'll come down to the Rams beating the Jets and I just think that Herm Edwards will rally his troops to slip past St. Louis.

Mike In Cleveland: Does Edge stay in the whole game to go after the rushing title since both he and Alexander play at 4 ?

Mike Holbrook: Mike: That's an interesting question. But I just don't see Tony Dungy allowing an individual concern overshadow the ulitmate team goal - getting to the Super Bowl. I know Edge is looking to pile up stats in his contract year, but since there's no reason for him to play and possibly get hurt, Dungy will sit him down.

TC, Columbus OH: What exactly are the terms of the AJ Feely deal to Miami? At first I heard it's a second round pick but conditional if he takes a certain number of snaps it could become a first round pick. But since it was first reported that way I've only seen it as a second rounder. Thanks, I always appreciate the knowledge and entertainment you provide.

Mike Holbrook: TC: I have not heard of the conditional portion of the deal. As far as I know, the Eagles received the Dolphins' second-round pick in 2005 for Feeley. And from what I've heard, no other team was offering anything close to that for Feeley. A great trade for Philly.

brian (berkeley heights): mike, is it time to put chris simms in tampa bay? or do they continue to ride brian griese? what's your take on the situation?

Mike Holbrook: Brian: Good question. It sounds like Jon Gruden is looking to blow up his offense this offseason and try to bring in some playmakers to go along with Michael Clayton. Does Griese fit into the mix next year? He may if he's affordable to the Bucs since he would give Gruden a better chance to win right away. And don't discount that with the Bucs coming off two straight losing seasons. If Simms is the future at QB and there are enough weapons surrounding him, I'd probably go with Simms next season.

Joey Ruiz (Benavides, TX): Hey Mike, who Will the 49ers target in FA and is there a chance they will select Derrick Johnson in the draft? Will D Erickson be back next year and if not then who are some of the coaching candidates?

Mike Holbrook: Joey: If they stay true to form and don't spend much in free agency, they won't be that active. The top prioriity is figuring out what to do with LB Julian Peterson, their franchise player. Is he worth that tag after an injury-shortened season? As far as the draft, if they let Peterson go, they could draft Johnson. But if they keep Peterson, they have much greater needs at quarterback (Matt Leinart?) and offensive line. Regarding Dennis Erickson's future, if they force him to fire an assistant coach or two, he will likely force them to fire him. But from a money standpoint, if they fire Erickson and his staff, that would cost John York almost $10 million. That could be a real dilemma for an owner with a tight wallet.

MARC(BELLMORE, NY): WHAT DO YOU THINK THE G-MEN WILL DO IN THE OFFSEASON. MAYBE GET SOME WIDEOUT AND ALITTLE BETTER O-LINE. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Mike Holbrook: Marc: You hit the nail on the head for the Giants' two biggest areas of need heading into this offseason. The receivers clearly aren't fast enough and don't stretch the field enough to give Shockey and Barber room to operate in the middle of the field. The offensive line has been terrible much of this year and needs upgrades at both tackle spots. Even with the return of Strahan, another pass rusher would be a good addition.

Chuck (Pittstown, NJ): I know Drew Brees has been outstanding, but shouldn't Willis McGahee get the comeback award?

Mike Holbrook: Chuck: Good question. There are two awards here that kind of crossover into the same territory. I would definitely give McGahee the comeback player award for his remarkable recovery from a devastating knee injury. There's no question he has been a key component of the Bills' second-half surge. I would then give Brees the most improved player award. I think that best describes what he has done this season - improving from a quarterback who threw 11 TD passes and 15 interceptions to a guy with 27 TD passes and just seven INTs. That's improvement, not a comeback.

Dave(Erie,PA): Jim Brown mentioned on the Sunday Night football game that the Browns are going to talk with Ozzie. Was that a slip?

Mike Holbrook: Dave: I know that word has been circulating that Ozzie is the Browns' top choice to head their revamped football operations. He would be an excellent choice. However, I just don't see why he'd leave a situation where he has a staff that he's comfortable with and trusts and has positioned his current team to be a playoff contender for several more years. It seems like a huge risk when you look at where the Browns are and how far they have to go to right the ship and where the Ravens' exemplary organization is. The only way I could see Ozzie leaving Baltimore is if they pay him a ridiculous amount of money - far more than market value.

matt (ny): Do you think the carolina panthers have a legit shot to come out of the weak NFC?

Mike Holbrook: Matt: I do.

Jay (West Palm, FL): Which rookie WR would you rather have? Michael Clayton or Lee Evans?

Mike Holbrook: Jay: Probably Clayton because of his size and playmaking ability. But Evans is the perfect fit in Buffalo opposite Eric Moulds. He's a speed guy with incredibly good hands. He's also not afraid to make tough catches inside. Both should be Pro Bowlers for years to come.

Steve (Rochester, NY): Happy Holidays Mike. Have the recent rule changes lessened the value of a top shelf cornerback? If so, if you are the Raiders do you tie up a ton of money in Charles Woodson or instead put it towards a strong front seven?

Mike Holbrook: Steve: You make a great point. I think top cornerbacks will always be highly valued. But in Woodson's case, I definitely think the Raiders will look long and hard at what he brings to the table nowadays. And this year that has been an injury-prone guy with one interception and appearing to have diminishing skills. I would be surprised if they kept him around next year at top dollar.

Steve (Centre Hall): Mike, I'm not sure if you have been asked this before, but who do you feel is the Most Overrated Player in the NFL?

Mike Holbrook: Steve: I think Ray Lewis is still a great player, but he's not as great as everyone thinks he is. Watch a Ravens game and you'll notice how Lewis makes most of his tackles a few yards beyond the line of scrimmage rather than within the first couple yards of the line like he used to do. That's a half-step or step in speed that he has lost over the years. He's still in on a ton of tackles and is the heart and soul of the Ravens' defense. But the Baltimore "D" hasn't exactly been as dominant as it would like to be this year and I think the fact that Lewis is beginning to shine signs of slowing down are a big reason for that.

Chris (Tacoma): Where do you think M.Boulware ranks among Defensive ROY candidates? Thanks Mike!

Mike Holbrook: Chris: Right up there. Michael Boulware has done a great job this year, making several big plays (I'm thinking of the INT return for a touchdown vs. Miami and the big game-preserving INT in the endzone at Minnesota off the top of my head). He definitely deserves mention with Dunta Robinson, Jonathan Vilma, Jared Allen and Chris Gamble.

Steve (Ma): Since when did Ray Lewis become the Ben Affleck of the NFL? Because of over exposure it's now en vogue to rip him and act like he has no skills left.

Mike Holbrook: Steve: I didn't say Ray Lewis has no skills left. He is still one of the top middle linebackers in the league. He's just not THE TOP middle linebacker anymore. I'd go as far as to say that Tedy Bruschi and London Fletcher (and even Zach Thomas before he got hurt) have had better seasons than Lewis.

JJ (Jacksonville): No DJ Williams for ROY? What gives?

Mike Holbrook: JJ and AJ: My fault for not mentioning D.J. Williams among the top defensive rookies. I knew I forgot someone. He's been outstanding.

Tyler (Madison): Will Reggie White enter the Hall of Fame as a Packer or Eagle?

Mike Holbrook: Tyler: Unlike the Baseball Hall of Fame where players wear a cap on the head of their bronze bust, the Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees don't have to worry about which team they represent. In other words, Reggie White will be in Canton as arguably the greatest defensive end in NFL history representing the Eagles, Packers, Panthers and all of football.

adam DC: how does the #2 ranked defense of the Washington Redskins only get 1 pro bowler. Their offense hasnt help them at all because they are always turning the ball over and causing the Defense to be on the field the entire game, yet they are still #2. shouldnt they get a little more credit towards representation in the pro bowl?

Mike Holbrook: Adam: The Redskins definitely got overlooked in the Pro Bowl voting. DT Cornelius Griffin, CB Shawn Springs and LB Antonio Pierce all deserved to go. Not having the list of alternates in front of me, maybe they will get to go via that route. It goes to show you that a team's success or failure certainly affects individual honors. The Redskins' poor performance in the won-lost column had as much of an affect on those players not making the Pro Bowl as anything.

Joe(Racine): What is going to happen with Mike Martz at the end of the year, it seems like he has gone off the deep end?

Mike Holbrook: Joe: The Rams have continually pledged their allegiance to Martz. If they beat the Jets and reach the playoffs, I'd be shocked if he wasn't back next year as coach. However, if they miss the playoffs, things could get interesting. He's a brilliant offensive mind, I just think he gets lost in his ways sometimes and hasn't quite figured out how to use ALL of the weapons he has at his disposal. More balance between the passing and running games is crucial going forward.

Eric R (Chicago, IL): What do you see the Bear's doing in the draft next year? Wideout and o'line? I think the should draft all offense!

Mike Holbrook: Eric: I won't be surprised if the Bears do just that. I think the defense has the playmakers that Lovie Smith desires (as long as Urlacher stays healthy). Now they need more playmakers on offense, particularly as receiving options. This has been a painful team to watch offensively much of the season. A Mike Williams or Mark Clayton would look great in Chicago next year.

Matt (Atl, GA): Better DT, Marcus Stroud or Richard Seymour?

Mike Holbrook: Matt: Considering most reports I've read recently say that John Henderson has outplayed Marcus Stroud in Jacksonville this season, I've got to go with Richard Seymour - he doesn't put up the big stats like other D-linemen in the league, but that's because he's not asked to solely rush the passer. A lot of his job is occupying linemen to free up the linebackers behind him to make plays. And you can argue that no one does that better in the league right now.

Mike Holbrook: My time is up, but thanks for a great hour of questions. Happy New Year to everyone!

Archived