Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ok.......rating this draft a success in the short term

fansince62

exclusive of how Ramsey plays out, whta level of accomplishment from the other selectees will warrant grading this a successful draft for the upcoming season?

- betts is third down back who demonstrates above average receiving skills; converts several 3rd downs - one on a game winning drive

- baumann plays in nickel packages and picks off a ball when challenged early on

- russell gets in a lot on multi-wideout sets and stretches the field enough to increase the opportunities for others

i'ld be satisifed with this. 1- 2 special teamers who make plays and we have credible value.

My guess is similar to this, but Russell sees little playing time his first year, while Bauman is the 3rd leading kick returner in the NFC, Lott comes out in dime situations and begins to challenge for time at safety towards the end of the year, and Rock and one of the other late round picks (preferably the OT) makes the team.

You can't REALLY evaluate a draft until about three years down the line. It's POSSIBLE that everyone we drafted could end up being a Pro Bowler. And it's also possible that everyone we drafted might suck. We'll just have to wait and see.

But we can (sort of) gage what kind of value we received for each pick. I think Ramsey was good value in the first round. I think the rest of our first day picks weren't good value. Of course, I don't know for sure because I'm stupid and I'm not privy to the draft boards of the other teams, but based on the pre-draft literature I read, it doesn't seem like we received maximum value for those draft picks.

in the very short-term the success of the draft is how quickly Ramsey picks up the system and is ready to contribute AND how many of the other picks make the final roster and are seen as having a future in the NFL.

at this point no one knows what these guys will do 3 years from now. the most we can hope for is the team doesn't decide after one minicamp or one week of training camp that they are dogmeat. :)

This could, in the long run, prove to be either a very good or very average draft. As far as using the draft to fill needs, it was terrible. I hope we're able to get some of those needs addressed between now and shortly after June 1st.

There is just no way to accurately rate the success of this draft short term.

I appreciate the stuff about not being able to fully evaluate a draft for 3-4 years, but there are some things you know pretty quickly.

If all we get out of Betts is several first downs while he's doing duty as a 3rd down back, I think we have the right to contrast that against Jon Jansen or Fred Smoot, other 2nd round picks. Or even against Cory Raymer or Stephen Alexander, also 2nd round picks. They were all starters and immediate contributors. And keep in mind that we had a fine 3rd down back last year in Ki-Jana who played for the vet minimum. Maybe I'm spoiled but I expect more out of a 2nd round pick.

If Ramsey is demonstratively outplayed by Danny Weurffel during exhibition season you'll have a mighty tough time convincing me we invested that first round pick wisely. I want to see some talent.

I like the Rusell pick - I'm sort of hoping we get an Albert Connell without the head problems.

I've got a bad feeling that Rock Cartwright and not Betts will be our 3rd down back.

Archived