Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants players want Coughlin canned and Porter expected to sign with TB

HeHateMe

Interesting to see Porter tipping his hand so early (if he actually is). Sort of kills any bargaining power he would have if its true.

As for Coughlin, can't say I'm surprised.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants/37181.htm

THE COUGHLIN MUTINY

By KEN PALMER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 26, 2004 -- YOU could see this coming a mile away. Even the Giants' 5-2 start couldn't mask the hostility between Tom Coughlin and his players. And now that the team is in the throes of a seven-game losing streak, some players are blasting away at a man they see as a dictator.

Several Giants have told The Post that they "hate" playing for Coughlin and that the club will never be successful as long as he is in charge.

"Guys absolutely hate Tom Coughlin," one Giant said. "He's not the type of coach we're going to go and put everything on the line for. Guys don't play for him; we play because we have to play and you're not going to win that way.

"Arguments go on every day in that building, cursing out between the players and the coaches."

"We will not win here when he's the coach," another veteran added. "It's coaches against the players. It's Coughlin against the coaches. There's no team atmosphere or camaraderie."

Coughlin's obviously feeling the heat of a lengthy losing streak, so much so that he actually asked his players to "stick up for him" when dealing with the media.

"He came into a meeting the other day and asked us to support him in the media," one veteran Giant said. "He asked everybody to stand by him and support him and say the right thing."

Coughlin's players are growing more and more angry over his impersonal, oftentimes downright rude treatment of them on a daily basis.

Coughlin called one of his starters a loser. He questioned one of his toughest player's toughness.

Even Coughlin's coaches apparently can't stand him. Most coaches have privately expressed displeasure with how they're overworked by Coughlin. "These coaches can't wait to get out of here just like all of us," one veteran said.

It's no secret that the organization wasn't thrilled with Coughlin's inability to assemble the coaching staff that he had promised. As for his mistreatment of the players, The Post has learned of several examples.

A few weeks back, Coughlin referred to a starting player as "a loser" because he sat out practice with multiple injuries.

Even after hearing from head trainer Ronnie Barnes that the player was to sit out practice, Coughlin asked that player if he planned to go that day.

"[Coughlin] very well already knew [he] wasn't practicing," one player said. "When [the player] said he wasn't going to go [and told Coughlin why], Coughlin said, 'That's what happens when the season gets tough. Guys don't want to practice or do anything. I see the losers coming out right now. I see the losers.' "

Earlier in the year, Coughlin told Barrett Green that he had brought him in because he was a tough guy, but that he wasn't impressed with his toughness in the least.

Speaking of Green, it was Coughlin's overreaction to Green oversleeping during the bye week that really turned the whole team against him.

Coughlin fined Green the absolute maximum - $17,000 - when he showed up 90 minutes late for a bye-week meeting.

"That's when he really started to lose guys," one Giant said.

Coughlin also recently berated one of his offensive linemen for a penalty that squelched a potential scoring drive. He told the lineman, "You cost me a touchdown." Coughlin didn't refer to the team, but himself instead.

"He might be preaching 'team,' but it's all about Coughlin," one player said. "Honestly, everyone thinks the guy's crazy."

Several Giants believe the damage is already done and that Coughlin's already lost control of the team - and has no hope of recovering it.

"Honestly, they might as well fire him now," one player said of Coughlin, who has three years and $9 million left on his contract. "The players on this team have quit on him. That's a very strong word, but mark it down: this team has quit on him and quit really caring and quit listening to what Tom Coughlin has to say."

"Most guys are just hoping that either they'll be gone or he'll be gone after this season," another Giant said. "Guys just tune him out, ignore him and don't care what he says. They just want to play the season out and get it over with."

CHUCKY GETSBORED

In the wake of Simeon Rice blasting Bucs coach Jon Gruden for the team's "undisciplined" ways, several Bucs have said that Gruden doesn't give it his all when prepping for a lesser opponent. "If we're getting ready to play a big, important game, he's on top of everything," one Buc said. "But if it's a supposedly easier team, he definitely lets up and doesn't pay nearly as close attention to detail."

NEW PORTERHOUSE

Speaking of the Bucs, it sure seems as if free-agent-to-be Jerry Porter already has his bags packed for Tampa. The Oakland receiver has told teammates that he plans to sign with the Bucs this offseason, while a Bucs source confirmed that the interest is mutual.

JIM'SNOHAS-BEEN

The rumors that Jim Haslett is going to be run out of New Orleans are just that. Haslett is expected back next season, not so much for his coaching ability as owner Tom Benson's desire to avoid paying dead money to Haslett and a departed staff, figures that would top $10 million.

"He had to pay off [Mike] Ditka's staff [after 1999 season] and it drove him insane," a Saints source said. "Don't expect him to do it again."

Oh cry me a freakin river. These guys are paid the big bucks to perform. While I don't agree with the dictator's methods, the cry-babying by these grown up, rich, spoiled men, in effect saying "it's my ball and I'll just take it home" What a bunch of crap.

Originally posted by jimster

isn't the NY Post a tabloid type of paper, or am I thinking of something else?

yeah i just opened this thread up to say that.... ny post loves controversy... Peter Vescey writes for them! Take this with maybe 2 grains of salt. there may be some truth to this, but this is probably overblown

Reminds me of these wise words from Lenny P: :rolleyes:

"Last laugh?

That other New York franchise, the one where players apparently aren't on-time for club meetings even when they are five minutes early (sort of), may have proven that there is nothing like a little chaos to get things going in the right direction. We are forever grateful to clever Giants coach Tom Coughlin and his team for luring Washington brass into the little-used ruse in which you try to convince an opponent that dissension runs rampant in the ranks (wink and, uh, double-wink)."

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73690

Originally posted by Fred21Smoot

:laugh:

Just curious, but was Coughlin like this in Jacksonville, but didn't get the media attention he is getting now?

Living in Daytona Beach, I heard a lot of storys about how he had lost the team years before he was let go. Nothing in this story suprises me. Diciplin is one thing but you have to be fair and treat your players like adults.

Jerry Porter has gone over 50 yards just 7 times this entire season. He is not worth picking up. He has 9 td's but he had 6 in 2 games and both were shootouts. He also had only 1 td through the first 10 games. I remember reading earlier this season on these same boards about how badly he sucked. I agree that we should pass. He is by no means an upgrade to Rod; he just happens to be playing on a team with no ground attack and an occasionally very hot Kerry Collins.

There were reports when he was in Jacksonville.

Players filed reports with management about his practice style saying it was too tough.

However when you win, as he did in Jacksonville (2 AFC title game appearances) this stuff tends to be swept under the rug a bit more. When you are 5-9 and in a major tailspin, its all out in the open

Originally posted by Skinned

Jerry Porter has gone over 50 yards just 7 times this entire season. He is not worth picking up. He has 9 td's but he had 6 in 2 games and both were shootouts. He also had only 1 td through the first 10 games. I remember reading earlier this season on these same boards about how badly he sucked. I agree that we should pass. He is by no means an upgrade to Rod; he just happens to be playing on a team with no ground attack and an occasionally very hot Kerry Collins.

You're only focusing on the negative stats without looking at the bigger picture with Porter. He's on a horrible offensive team that only just recently began playing better football by protecting the QB. Not coincidentally, his stats have improved over that time too. Frankly, the same factors come into play with Gardner's stats this year.

Still, I'm not convinced that Porter is an upgrade over Gardner. As I'm ambivalent between them, I'll take the one that costs less money. Coles is our #1 anyway, and I have a lot of confidence in Jacobs' abilities, so it's not the end of the world if we get neither.

Originally posted by redman

You're only focusing on the negative stats without looking at the bigger picture with Porter. He's on a horrible offensive team that only just recently began playing better football by protecting the QB. Not coincidentally, his stats have improved over that time too. Frankly, the same factors come into play with Gardner's stats this year.

Still, I'm not convinced that Porter is an upgrade over Gardner. As I'm ambivalent between them, I'll take the one that costs less money. Coles is our #1 anyway, and I have a lot of confidence in Jacobs' abilities, so it's not the end of the world if we get neither.

He is also on a team that has had no running game for the 2nd half the season and had Collins at QB. They needed to pass. He had one 2 great games and one was in the snow, although he was did abuse Champ many times ;)

I am not in favor of offering a decent WR contract to any of the FA's available, with the possible exception of Burress.

Here is a list of free agent WR's:

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=WR

Drew Haddad UFA Bills

Cedric James ERFA Patriots

David Givens RFA Patriots

Kevin Kasper RFA Patriots

David Patten UFA Patriots

Kendall Newson ERFA Dolphins

Freddie Milons RFA Ravens

Travis Taylor UFA Ravens

T.J. Houshmandzadeh UFA Bengals

CJ Jones ERFA Browns