Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Hixon's Son At Practice?

Ax

I thought I heard on the WTEM that Coach Hixon's son was at practice today. Even walking around with a cane, and meeting some of the players.

This would be great news if so.

Anybody heard anything?

I looked to see if it was posted before but didn't see anything about it.

Originally posted by Ax

I thought I heard on the WTEM that Coach Hixon's son was at practice today. Even walking around with a cane, and meeting some of the players.

This would be great news if so.

Anybody heard anything?

I looked to see if it was posted before but didn't see anything about it.

I heard this on WTEM today. Hixon's son was at practice today.

http://redskins.scout.com/2/325592.html

He had a hard time making his way down the hall. Not because he couldn't walk, though a cane slowed him. What slowed him more were all the hugs and well-wishes he received. But the Redskins players were just happy to see Drew Hixon moving on his own.

After spending part of his last college season in a coma, that alone is a victory. Hixon, a receiver at Tennessee Tech, was injured in a Sept. 11 game at South Florida. He's now at home doing outpatient rehab and is talking somewhat normally.

One Redskins staffer said they had tears in their eyes after talking to Hixon, who was an intern for the Redskins this summer.

A number of players stopped Hixon as he walked to the lunch room, with Laveranues Coles giving him a big hug and saying, ''Hey, buddy! How ya doin'?''. And quarterback Mark Brunell told him several times, ''You're a miracle.''

Stan Hixon said it made for their most special Thanksgiving.

''Most definitely,'' Hixon said. ''The whole family was together.''

. . . Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin didn't practice again Thursday. Though he's listed as probable, it's odd for someone with such a listing to miss consecutive practices. Meanwhile, Randy Thomas worked, but is still not expected to play.

For D. Hixon, Remarkable Improvement

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

December 2, 2004

Drew Hixon, the son of Redskins wide receivers coach Stan Hixon, was at Redskins Park on Thursday for the first time since he suffered a serious head injury during a collegiate football game earlier this year.

Drew Hixon, 22, visited with some of the coaches, players and staff at Redskins Park. He was a regular presence at the training facility during training camp in July and early August as an intern.

The younger Hixon was a wide receiver at Tennessee Tech University this season. On Sept. 11, Hixon suffered his injury at the end of a play during a game between Tennessee Tech and South Florida. He was at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., for several weeks in recovery. He is now living with his parents in the area.

"I think that's a miracle that he's able to get around like that," head coach Joe Gibbs said on Thursday. "And now he's communicating and talking. He's bounced almost all the way back, and it's been miraculous really."

The team held a prayer service at Redskins Park for the Hixon family in mid-September.

"It's been a real prayerful thing for us," Gibbs said. "It makes you realize how important life is. Drew's family's real strong and we're proud of him."

Blondie

Archived