Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade for JJ Stokes???

Buddha

From ffmastermind.com:

-- 49ers Talk to Reskins About Possible Stokes Trade --

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the San Francisco 49ers want to restructure the contract of WR J.J. Stokes but called the Redskins recently to float a trade possibility. If Stokes doesn't accept a reduction, he could well be released, and the 49ers would probably sign free agent WR Willie Jackson (Saints).

We could already get a player of his ilk by signing Westbrook to a minimum deal. I'd pass or wait until he's cut.

There was this also...

-- Redskins Fail to Get Jones to Unretire --

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports you can add the Washington Redskins to the teams that have attempted, and failed, to lure DT James Jones out of retirement. The classy 10-year veteran was released by Detroit on the eve of the 2001 season opener, was contacted by at least five teams that wanted to sign him for a playoff push, but opted to stay at home with his family. The Redskins phoned agent Jack Wirth earlier this week but were told that Jones, a terrific run-stuffer, chooses to stay retired.

I'd rather have Westbrook than Stokes. Stokes has been paired with great QB's and couldn't produce, and that is while in the company of the Games Best WR's to deflect the attention. (Rice for his first few years and Terrell Owens for the last 3).

If Stokes can't produce there, why would he be any better here? Adn they guy has zero speed ... something in the 4.65 range. Spurrier would kick him off the team. I'd rather give McCant's and Thompson a shot who have the same body and more speed. Hecht, they can't be any worse.

Im not a big fan of the idea of getting Stokes. I dont think he would be an instant improvement on Green and Gardner. Plus hes not the type of receiver Spurrier would seem to want for his style of play.

Trade for a guy they're considering releasing? Oh well, it happened with Wuerrfel, right?

I hope the 49'ers contacting us on this is not representative of the way the league views our level of intelligence/discipline in FA acquisitions.

Stokes is a slow, alligator-armed stiff that couldn't make it work despite being surrounded on offense with the likes of Garrison Hearst, Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, and Terrell Owens, and having Steve Young and Jeff Garcia throwing to him. No thank you.

You know, I could almost wish we somehow managed to swing Harrington.

Just to see and hear that eruption navydave would have. He probably would lose all rational thought, be unable to speak, and get arrested and put in a straight jacket. :laugh: :rofl:

But I'd pity those poor folks in Florida. They would probably think a volcanic eruption like Mt. St. helens or Mt. Vesuvius had ocurred. :D

after ridding ourselves of our own draft busts it is unkind of Bill Walsh and Terry Donahue to call us to talk about taking on JJ Stokes. :laugh:

all Stokes brings to the table is size. he lacks speed, good hands and apparently discipline to improve his game.

Archived