Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prediction: Skins will lose out on Trotter

The Artist

There is no question that Redskin brass wants to bring Trotter in to play middle linebacker for the next five or six years, but the interest will not be strong enough to get into the small bidding war that will begin in the next few days.

Marvin Lewis, probably echoing the sentiments of others around Redskin Park, views Trotter as a bonus, rather then a need.

Every other team chasing him has a real need in their linebacker corps. While Kevin Mitchell is nothing to write home about, the Skins are comfortable enough to keep the three linebackers the way they are, considering they already have Armstead and Arrington in the fold.

The team probably has a decent contract on the table for Trotter, but I don't think they will be willing to budge on it much, if at all. If Trotter was to be a Redskin, it would have happened already.

Disclaimer in my predictions: I thought Peter Warrick was going to be good.

I dont agree with you Artist. Reports have Green Bay and Minnesota dropping out of the bidding already. Its between Houston and the Skins now, and Snyder wants this guy bad. If the money is even, Trotter will pick the Skins, Im willing to bet on it now. :D

Charley Casserly said nothing was going to happen on their end this week, although they have an offer on the table. But I would be willing to bet that the Skins have Trotter signed before the draft on Saturday. That will be Snyder's big splash come draft day. Anything that happens on Saturday will just be icing on the cake for Snyder.

the truth is the Packers have already shot their load on Joe Johnson for their defense. they aren't going to sign another mega-bonus player.

the Vikings actually already have a middle linebacker candidate they acquired in free agency in Henri Crockett. And I question if Trotter wants to go to a team that is rebuilding its defense from scratch.

the Texans are the other serious bidder. But Casserly as noted said no more deals would be consumated by Houston until AFTER the draft.

So if the Skins want to make a deal they have the clear opportunity to do so NOW.

Number One,

I think this is plausible. I'm still in defensive mode denying there's a huge chance Trotter will end up here, but, the way he won't end up here is probably just as you've indicated. The Redskins probably won't get into a bidding war for a player the Defensive Coordinator has already called a bonus. At our price and a fair price, he'll be ours. If teams start to boost what he's going to get, I think we can back off.

Of course, IF we back off, the story won't be we made a decision based upon need. It will be that Snyder's spending spree two years ago forced the Redskins out of the bidding for Trotter despite Snyder's objections and direction to get it done at all cost.

What will kill Trotter's appearance in a Redskin uniform is his age. At 25 he's going to choose money over a chance to win the ring in the near future. Obviously the Texans will offer more than the 'Skins. His agent, working off the standard percentage, will encourage Trotter to take the bigger contract as well.

I know this is the new, improved Snyder who plays carefully under the cap.

But don't tell me he's not dying to introduce Trotter to the Skins faithful at the Fedex draft party.

If he has any say in it at all, my guess is that he'll make it happen before the draft so he can show off his trophy.

What will kill Trotter's appearance in a Redskin uniform is his age. At 25 he's going to choose money over a chance to win the ring in the near future. Obviously the Texans will offer more than the 'Skins. His agent, working off the standard percentage, will encourage Trotter to take the bigger contract as well.

I think the revenge factor is a bigger factor with him than money. Of course he's going to want the money but, if the Texans offer a deal only slightly higher what we offer, I'm willing to bet you he would pick the Skins.

btw Houston doesn't seem to be all that interested. I think we're in a bidding war with ourselves.

Bottom line......If Danny Warbucks wants him bad enough, he will be a redskin period. There are loopholes in the salary cap big enough to cart my mother-in-law thru. And her boobs way about 100 lbs each. They can give him the 4 mil a yr. deal for 6 years with a 5-7 mill signing bonus......Plus they can full his contract with incentive bonuses that don't count against the cap. I am sure his agent knows the chance of trotter making bigtime endoresement deals in Washington are very doable. He can be a cornerstone of a dynasty that will bring his agent and trotter more money in endoresements than his salary over the next 6 years here. And I am sure Danny has enough friends in the right places to help guarantee this. Of course the latter part is illegal, but I started this by saying if Danny wants him bad enough.

Artist, where have you been?! Its been a while. Art's "me-too." :)

I really think of Trotter as a draft pick at a position that you weren't looking for, but the guy just dropped to you and you'd be a fool not to get him. Even though money could be put elsewhere, there isn't as good a free agent at those positions to spend the money. If Trotter comes for reasonable money, I accept him with open arms because he makes the team better.

But if he can get crazy cash from Texas, God bless him.

He will probably want a spiked 5 year deal with a large roster bonus in year three. One that will require renegotiation while the roster bonus makes the team act quickly. According to NFLPA research, this contract structure is the most beneficial to the players like Trotter who, if he plays as well as he has, would be young in three years to still score a big one.

Figure a $5 mil bonus for 5 years, in year three he'll score another bonus around 3-5 mil.

So the question is, who is most likely to spike his contract?

Mardi Gras Skin,

I've actually never left, just haven't posted as much in the past.....um year or so. And yup, yup, Art's still the man.

Anyways, news stations in Green Bay reported that Trotter's visit was delayed until either tommorrow or Friday. It really seems like Trotter will end up with us or Green Bay.

Based on the fact that the Packers are going for it all this year, they may break the bank and be willing to take the cap problems in a few seasons.

I hope I'm wrong, because I would love to see Trotter in D.C.

Casserly has said that there is no offer on the table, and that the Texans aren't interested anymore. They don't have as much cap room as it appears, because they still have holes at nearly every position. We're clearly the team that wants him the most, and I think we'll make it happen.

I don't know Bufford. Everything I have heard and seen indicates Trotter, like so many other superstar athletes, is in it for the $$$ first. If he gets a 300,000-400,000 more per year from another team, even a celler dweller, he'll take it and be happy. That is just the kind of guy he is.

Archived