Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Old Dirty Bastard Has Died

semiskin

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1493725/11132004/ol_dirty_****.jhtml

Ol' Dirty ****, a founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan, died of unknown causes on Saturday (November 13) in New York, according to his spokesperson. He was 35.

Sources close to the rapper (whose real name was Russell Tyrone Jones) said he

had been complaining of chest pains earlier in the day, although no further details are available as of yet. ODB had been scheduled to perform with Wu-Tang at a concert in New Jersey on Friday night, but missed the show.

Another source reported that ODB arrived in the New York area on a flight from Denver at 10:30 p.m. Friday. He reportedly went to a Manhattan studio (having missed the concert), and collapsed within an hour of arriving there.

A statement was released Saturday evening by ODB's mother, Cherry Jones. "This evening, I received a phone call that is every mother's worst dream," she said. "My son, Russell Jones, passed away. To the public, he was known as Ol' Dirty ****, but to me, he was known as Rusty, the kindest, most generous soul on earth. I appreciate all the support and prayers that I have received. Russell was more than a rapper, he was a loving father, brother, uncle, and most of all, son."

Damon Dash, who signed ODB to Roc-A-Fella Records last fall, also released a statement. "All of us in the Roc-A-Fella family are shocked and saddened by the sudden and tragic death or our brother and friend," Dash said. "Russell inspired all of us with his spirit, wit and tremendous heart. He will be missed dearly, and our thoughts, prayers and deepest condolences go out to his wonderful family. The world has lost a great talent, but we mourn the loss of our friend."

Dirty, easily the most eccentric of the nine Wu-Tang Clan rappers (if not in all of hip-hop), showed promise as a solo artist, but was hindered by a long series of clashes with the law, which ranged from shoplifting to making terrorist threats.

The rapper, who also went by several unusual aliases (including Osirus, Joe Bannanas [sic], Dirt McGirt, Dirt Dog, Unique Ason and Big Baby Jesus), was released from prison last year. He had served a two-year term for parole violation and drug charges.

After his release from prison and psychiatric care, ODB signed with the Roc and was recording as Dirt McGirt (see "Ol' Dirty **** Hits Campaign Trail With New Album"). Most recently, he collaborated with Macy Gray for the album (see "ODB Duets With Macy Gray On 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' ").

After several years apart, Wu-Tang reunited this summer for a concert in California. A recording of the show, titled Disciples of the 36 Chambers: Chapter 1, was released in September.

MTV News will have more on this story as it develops.

------------------------------------------------------

This is pretty sad news if you are or were ever a fan of the Wu Tang Clan. Don't think they'll get together without ODB. RIP ODB.

Man that's sad. He was young too...

I feel bad for his family and the Wu...

Everyone could relate to that guys music, cuz it was just so damn funny and he was all about just being rediculous, crazy and funny...

RIP Dirt McGirt

Aww man! I can't believe that happened. ODB was the man. He was one of my favorite rappers. I remember back in '94 or '95 my dad was working with a community radio station, and ODB came in the studio to freestyle. My sister and I were in the studio as well as a few other people. It was funny, but also impressive to watch him pull out the phone book and use that for material to freestyle off of.

You will be sorely missed, Big Baby Jesus. And while everyone else thought you were crazy, I loved your music and knew better.

Archived