Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest Trade & Draft Rumors - Skins could pick WR Andre Davis at #18

http://msn.sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/story?page=rumorcentral

The link above takes you to the latest trade and draft rumors, floating around on Saturday's upcoming draft. Rumor has it that the Skins will draft WR Andre Davis, G Toniu Fonoti or QB's Joey Harrington or Patrick Ramsey in the 18th spot of the 1st round.

Another rumor has the Skins drafting WR Rech Caldwell with their 2nd round pick.

Andre Davis with the #18? Where did that one come from? I think they are blowing smoke up the Falcons ***, trying to get them to take Vick's college partner, potentially allowing them to get Gaffney? I don't know, doesn't make any sense to me.

A. Davis is about options.

What if Gaffney is available and one of the teams behind us is hot to get him (or someone else who falls), do we trade?

What is the threshold at which we trade, someone drafting after us is hot for him so they would be willing to give up a lot?

Do we have a quality option (with one of the later choices) if we go with the trade?

I have said all along that WR is a distinct possibility at #18.

For an offensive coach like Spurrier to leave all those potential playmakers on the board and select a guard to me is unrealistic.

The Skins will find a guard to pair with Rod Jones after June 1 in the second round of free agency when someone serviceable gets cut.

I also agree with Art that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Skins make a move to secure Alex Brown sometime after round 2 if he is still available.

The Florida tie with Spurrier may not mean that Gaffney or Caldwell will be taken at #18 (right now I'd say 50/50), but I think at least one Florida player will be taken in the draft by the Skins.

I think we will wind up with at least one Florida player too, in that SS has insight into these guys. I hope it isnt Alex Brown, however, whose stock has slipped considerably as a DE and/or LB. More than likely it might be a Florida safety, RB, or LB in the lower rounds, such as: Manuel Marquand, Robert Gillespie, or Andra Davis.

I think the one advantage Andre Davis may have over some of the other high round pick WR's is his ability to return kicks. If Gaffney has never done that, you aren't going to teach him now. Just a possible reason why they are looking at him.

Damn, I meant to go down to the practice facility today during lunch to see if I could see Spurrier and Lewis. Oh well.

Ernie, in today's Washington Post Snyder pretty much meets that speculation head on when he says that any notion that he and Coach Spurrier would settle only for a high profile player such as a quarterback or wide receiver, in the first round is "silly."

I think we are taking a guard in the first round.

That's what I mean, Joe. King & Pasquerelli basically forward their agenda (they just don't like Dan) by pretending their OPINIONS have news value. Then you WP articles, two days running, openly contradicting such a view. It makes a sports fan crazy.

Joe, if the Redskins take a guard at #18 in the first round, it will be as suprising a pick as I have seen in the past 5 years. :)

for a team with holes at several other key areas where cheaper free agents are not available in any quantity, DT/QB/WR, taking a guard would be counterintuitive.

That would mean the team would be forced to spend MORE money under the cap to solidify these other positions after the draft and after June 1.

That's not a smart business decision.

No, the Skins are going to look at filling in at #18 or wherever they move to in the first round with a player at a spot where there are FEW if any capable NFLers on Joe Mendes' rolodex.

I think you can trade down and still get Weaver in the late first round.

Fonuti just seems like the type of player that I would want to have on my team. This is, of course, assuming that the top 4 defensive tackles are all gone at this point. I just like the big uglys.

Archived