Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The new Redskin "middle-class"

Buddha

Just finished updating my base salary chart and noted that only 6 Redskins currently under contract are slated to earn $1 million or more in base salary-- Stephen Davis, Dan Wilkinson, Shawn Barber, Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, and Sam Shade. And this number will likely dwindle to 4 after Deion and Shade are dealt with.

Seems to me that building on a "middle-class" of moderately paid but solid veterans was a formula for success that helped Gibbs win three Super Bowls. It's refreshing to see that this is the direction that Marty is taking.

http://home.earthlink.net/~wahoofamily/salary.htm

I'm just concerned that because we were burned by overpaying, we don't go the opposite way and over compensate by trying to build a team on the cheap.

Marty has never show a real propensity for being a personnel wiz, so it's not like we're only gonna field home grown talent. Sooner or later we're gonna have to get guys in who'll cost some money, to provide the overwhelming talent (star power) on top of our solid foundation.

I'm not sure that we're consciously gonna become a blue collar team that doesn't spring for the name player or pay to keep our own good ones. Rather that right now we have to bite the bullet in order to return to cap sanity, thus we're forced to rely on cheaper talent to get us through the next coupla seasons.

Get our cap under control, but then, as BIGDC says, pay the guys who deserve it.

Buddha said : "Seems to me that building on a "middle-class" of moderately paid but solid veterans was a formula for success that helped Gibbs win three Super Bowls. It's refreshing to see that this is the direction that Marty is taking."

Uhhh, isn't Marty doing this out of necessity, rather than choice ? What other options does he have at this point, with the cap situation the way it is ?

[edited.gif by Mick on June 10, 2001.]

The Skins aren't in cap hell like the Niners (although they are pulling out of their mess now), Jags or Chiefs, so Marty wasn't limited to this only strategy. He could have continued the Cerrato way, restructuring a few vets to delay the massive cap hit to later seasons, and signing a few pricey vets to backloaded contracts with small 2001 cap numbers. Instead, he used his cap space to take a few hits this year, a few hits next year, and leave the roster filled with some solid vets that make anywhere from $500K to $1M. He also retains team leaders like Marco Coleman and Bruce Smith for another year and avoids eating the bonuses given to them last season.

If he were truly backed into a corner, we'd be seeing an even greater purge with even lesser talent filling the holes. Remember the likes of Al Noga, Ethan Horton, Cedric Smith, Vernice Smith, etc? Guys that are either washed up or barely NFL caliber journeymen? I just don't see that here.

Whoa! "Marty is not a good personnel man"........

Now where does that come from? As far as my reading of the facts go, Marty has never had control over the draft or free agency exclusively before this season.

Ernie Accorsi and Carl Peterson ran the drafts and signings for Cleveland and Kansas City when Marty was the coach.

Now, Marty had input and I would wager lobbied to get certain players in certain years, but I would not be quick to credit or criticise Marty on that score until we see what happens with the 2001 draft class and the free agents WE have signed.

It is possible Marty had input into drafting a host of excellent players that he had in Cle and KC. We just don't know as fans looking in from the outside.

Maybe Marty lobbied to draft guys like Will Shields, Tony Gonzales and going back further a young Dale Carter or Derrick Thomas.

I don't think anyone would think those players were a waste of a draft pick.

Once again, we have to judge the man on what he does after assuming the top job when there aren't other people clouding our view of the decision-making process.

Hey Bulldog,

my exact wording was: "Marty has never show a real propensity for being a personnel wiz" (in fact, I can't find the words you quoted anywhere in this thread). In other words, he hasn't demonstrated one way or another that he can find gold in the draft and free agency on a consistent, year in year out basis. His peronnel bona fides have not been established.

So it's still an open question as to our future ability to make great personnel decisions.

true I was paraphrasing, shouldn't have used the quote marks, sorry.......

you are right in that Marty is still unproven and we likely won't know the worth of this draft class until next year at the earliest.

at the same time the personnel record of this team from 1993-98 was so poor in terms of both draft picks and free agent misses that the bar is not set awfully high for Marty either right now.

And I think as we can all admit, the free agent spree last year yielded one player, Bruce Smith, that produced at a high level at a position we had no other potential starters at to begin the year.

Carrier was awful. Murrell was awful. Deion was not awful but you can openly question how much worse we would have been at corner with Darrell Green as the #2 and getting James Hasty or another veteran to play as the #3 for a lot less money.

Then you can add in Jeff George, who had one good game against the Rams, but couldn't rally the Redskins from even a small deficit against an awful Cardinals team in what turned out to be a very critical game. And of course his conduct late in the season, threatening to have Robiskie fired for not starting him, only added to the appearance that this was another boneheaded move by the team.

Bulldog,

I was, when I read your post, going to ask if it was fair to judge the Skins personnell moves last year on the basis of George's performance off the field.

But then the thought occurred to me that that's the standard I'm held to, so why isn't it fair to rate Norv (or whoever picked a particular player) to the same standard?

When I hire someone, I'm not only responsible for how well he fixes computers, but for the image he projects of the company. Why isn't it fair to hold football players to the same rules. (Granted, they get a lot more attention paid to them: If one of my employees gets pulled over for DUI, it won't be on television. But the players also know in advance that they're goung to get that attention: If they don't want the attention, pick a different job).

So we only have 6 players making over a million ... a number which I think will dwindle to 3 after Deion gets cut and Shade and D.Green are forced to take lower salaries (as a part of pseudo restructuring of course). But that doesn't mean we are a team full of middle-class performers and salary-cap charades.

Sure we have a few vets taking most of their money in bonus (B.Smith and M. Coleman). But in my view, the best exlanation for our salary structure is that most of our team is rather young and coming off of their first contract.

Despite their annual salaries, can anyone convince me that Champ, Barber, Jansen, Samuels, Lavar, or Alexander are middle class performers? And many of our better prospects, like Smoot, Gardner, Mookie ... and hopefully people like L.Harrison, Husak, and Flemister will pan out too.

Archived