Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joel Buschbaum on Deion...

Schottenheimer says decision on Sanders can wait<br /><br />Redskins head coach Marty Schottenheimer indicates Monday that there is nothing the team has to do in regard to CB Deion Sanders until a time closer to the start of training camp.<br /><br />Buchsbaum: It does not look like the Redskins are ready to release Sanders yet because the chances of him playing football and not baseball are growing with each failure he has with the Reds. And with Ken Griffey, Jr. due back from injury soon, Deion may end up on the bench or back in the minor leagues. <br /><br />While Deion may be the most marvelous athlete of his time, his inability to handle adversity is one of his greatest weaknesses, and the odds are he’s like the little kid who if he doesn’t make it right away in baseball, he’ll throw his glove against the wall, have a tantrum and play a sport he is very good at like football. Football comes very easy to him, and baseball is work. I don’t think he’s willing to pay the price (in baseball) if he doesn’t have success very soon.<br /> <br /> [ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Die Hard ]

I thought the contract was worded that he must be playing Professional baseball in order to miss things. Does that include the minors? I thought that's why the 'skins put that in there because they didn't think he could make it to the pros.

In the many articles that I've read it, they have all referred to the non-reporting loophole as "major league baseball". If true, that means Deion is in a bind if he gets sent down to the minors. Then he has to report (for camp too) or else get and possibly lose a portion of his bonus.

I've seen it as both professional and Major League baseball. They are supposed to talk about that on WTEM after 6PM, they mentioned that clause. It makes sense that the 'skins didn't think he could make a succesfull come back to MLB, that's why they would put something like that.

Archived