Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles defense or Giants and Vikings offenses?

Tom [Giants fan]

For the second straight week the Eagles' defense allowed over 400 total yards yet neither offense cracked 20 points.

Do you think this is more because of the Eagles defense or is it the fault of the offense of the two teams they played?

I can't see this trend continuing much longer. If they continue to allow 400+ yards of offense, it is going to catch up. And this was not garbage yardage time. They were blitzing up until the end.

You can't count the Giant game, the Eagles really weren't putting out their best effort once the game was out of reach for NY. They were just playing prevent, let them go. Kind of like how we were able to move down the field on the Giants late in the game, until we got to the red zone.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

For the second straight week the Eagles' defense allowed over 400 total yards yet neither offense cracked 20 points.

Do you think this is more because of the Eagles defense or is it the fault of the offense of the two teams they played?

That's how the Eagles defense plays. Last week the Vikes put up over 20. This week the Giants got 20 (though they probably should have had more).

The Eagles Redzone D is where they are at their best. JJ doesn't care about stats, all he cares about is keeping points off the board (or at least TDs) in the Redzone.

And that 400 yards the Giants got were truly inflated garbage time stats.

Obviously, the goal tonight was to put pressure on Culpepper, giving up the short stuff and not to get beat deep. That will always result in lots of yards for the offense, especially with a good QB. Lack of a consistent running game hurt the Vikings, though really, they never tried to establish it.

The Eagles have taken bend-but-don't-break to heart here. The Vikings have a strong offense, maybe the best in the league and the Eagles took their best shots until they got into the red zone.

Nice chess match to watch.

Don't be "that guy" bubba, there was were bad calls all around.

No call on intentional grounding by culpepper on 3rd and 19.

Miscalled fumble recovery.

No calls on holding quite often.

TO non catch in the endzone.

Can't remember what tice was so mad about on one play but it was another bad call.

Originally posted by twist

Don't be "that guy" bubba, there was were bad calls all around.

No call on intentional grounding by culpepper on 3rd and 19.

Miscalled fumble recovery.

No calls on holding quite often.

TO non catch in the end zone.

Can't remember what tice was so mad about on one play but it was another bad call.

First I was joking... but by your obvious sensitive response, you know that the Vikes got hosed.

The ONLY questionable non call on the Vikings was the grounding.

But the Refs called back 2 Viking TD's on bogus holding calls, one was before the missed FG, and TO's non TD catch.

so if you take away the TO TD (7 pts) and add the 11pts the Vikes lost by bad calls you would have had a different ballgame

Originally posted by twist

You don't SEEM to be jokeing and are infact defending your points.

at first I was juinor.... the smiling face was a tip off.

but when you got all snippy, I felt I should point out the facts.

Texas Eagle, Owens NEVER had possesion of the ball inbounds, not at the one or in the endzone. he was bobbling it all the way down, the ball actually touched the ground, and he rolled out of bounds before he controled the ball. The Vikes shot themselves by not reviewing the call.

The games over, but the eagles know they got a little aid.

Originally posted by bubba9497

at first I was juinor.... the smiling face was a tip off.

but when you got all snippy, I felt I should point out the facts.

Texas Eagle, Owens NEVER had possesion of the ball inbounds, not at the one or in the endzone. he was bobbling it all the way down, the ball actually touched the ground, and he rolled out of bounds before he controled the ball. The Vikes shot themselves by not reviewing the call.

The games over, but the eagles know they got a little aid.

Bubba, the call on Birk holding was legit, whether you admit it or not. He had Walker's entire jersey.

The Vikings fumbled in the first half and the Eagles should have had the ball. Blown call by the refs there.

Owens didn't catch the ball, but do you think they would have stopped them anyway? They punted once tonight. That was the only clear bad call that favored Philly, and the non-fumble recovery favored the Vikings.

In regards to the question, the Eagles had a specific gameplan today, and that was not to get beat deep. It worked. It was different last week. They weren't giving up the underneath stuff, and the Giants got most of their yards in garbage time. Two completely different scenarios.

Owens NEVER had possesion of the ball inbounds, not at the one or in the endzone. he was bobbling it all the way down, the ball actually touched the ground, and he rolled out of bounds before he controled the ball.

No argument at all on that. Definitely an incompletion. I will argue that Owens was interfered with before the ball got there. He was actually being brought down/tackled on his legs. Blown call both ways. Eagles should have had 1st and goal at the one, not a TD.

And on Culpepper's "TD" run, both Eagles DT's were held. Very obvious that arms were wrapped and jersey's pulled. :)

Anyway, a little aid from the refs is always appreciated. They certainly didn't get it when the Eagles receivers were being mauled in the NFCCG last season. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and what EL just said. :D

Let's not forget that the Vikes offense was nowhere near full strength tonight.

They were playing without their top 2 running backs on the depth chart. They lose their RT Rosenthal at the start of the game. And most importantly, Kliensasser was also out for this game. He is essential to the Vikes running game.

I'm not impressed at all by the Eagles defense.

The only call, for the eagles that was bad was the TO touchdown. But really, its quite likely the eagles go 1 yard into the endzone anyway, and score. And even if they didn't, they sitll would have been in the lead. The vikings got their fair share of breaks to. Like that fumble that sheldon brown forced that they apparently recovered. Even though, when the pile dismantled, Sam Rayburn was the one with the ball in his hand. But thats always going to be the story with an eagles win. The other team screwed themselves.

Originally posted by TexasEagle

That's how the Eagles defense plays. Last week the Vikes put up over 20. This week the Giants got 20 (though they probably should have had more).

The Eagles Redzone D is where they are at their best. JJ doesn't care about stats, all he cares about is keeping points off the board (or at least TDs) in the Redzone.

And that 400 yards the Giants got were truly inflated garbage time stats.

That 400 hundred was not garbage time inflated. Almost 2 on the ground, and Warner was efficient in the air. The defense will continue to get better, and the offense will catch up. Then it is on...:laugh:

Originally posted by Bowlboundgmen3

That 400 hundred was not garbage time inflated. Almost 2 on the ground, and Warner was efficient in the air. The defense will continue to get better, and the offense will catch up. Then it is on...:laugh:

Oh really? Then why was 130 of their 400 yards gained within the last 3 minutes? In fact, until the end of the 3rd quarter (when the Giants were already down signficantly), they had only amassed 147 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drives/NFL_20040912_NYG@PHI

That's why I said "if even that much." I never said he caught the ball and I never will. A case might be made that he had posession and a knee down at the one but I'm not saying that. I've agreed with everyone that it shouldn't have been a catch at all.

But there should have been a PI since he was getting tackled before the ball got there. :D

Archived