Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm back for the week.....

simon_douglas_9053

Hey Simon, Good to see ya here as well. Here we go again eh? Lets see were did I leave off in here? Oh yes now I remember, I threw up that stinkin crow I was chompin on, with that pathetic performance by our Eagle no-show offense that Sunday that I will just forget.Hi, Skins fans, we back boyz. We back... This game will be for all the marbles Skins. Giants are spoilers. Tampa Bay doesnt have the QB to beat us. And our D is 2nd to none. So in all reality here, its you vs. us for a trip to the play-offs. Il tell you what Skin fans, right here and right now, I GUARANTEE A WIN FOR THE EAGLES IN WASHINGTON... Different approach to the game this time, I promise the O will show up to play with the D this week. Will you Skins cheer for us Eagles in the Play-offs this season? You beat us once this year, does lightning strike twice for you in the same year? I doubt it.

If beating the Eagles is a lightening strike for us, then we don't deserve to make the playoffs. The Eagles have a good - not great - team. We have seen a good - not great - team developing in Washington over the last 2 months. We're still losing to teams we shouldn't. But when we play well, and when we use our assets the way we should, we're a good enough team to win the division.

I will say this- if both teams play their brand of football and stay away from turnovers, stupid penalties and injuries, I believe the Redskins will win. The Redskins brand of football is simply more consistent and doesn't rely upon fluky plays like QB scrambles and defensive scores.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

----------------------

"I fear we've awakened a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve."

- Japanese Imperial Admiral Yamamoto, after hearing that the Japanese declaration of war failed to reach the U.S. government before the attack upon Pearl Harbor

Hey Redman, you forgot the Tackle Eligible, Flea-Flicker, On side kick-off, ( Ya taking notes Marty? } Forget it dude, you have no idea about what a trick pony can do to a good football club. Especially one who has beat us at home with 1/2 a team to go against, our O took the day off last time. Have fun Sunday, and prepare for a quick lesson on what it feels like to be 6-7 and going home for the holidays. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

EagleLou - I would have thought that after the last game our Eagle friends wouldn't come brandishing guarantees this time around. Seems a few of you were guaranteeing wins the last time, too. Believe me we know a thing or two about guarantees on this board. Just ask Om. smile.gif

I would expect the Eagles to be fired up for this game, to play their usual strong defense and to be better than the last game on offense. Will all that add up to a Philly victory? Who knows? There are no guarantees! smile.gif

Brave, I agree there are no guarantees to winning football games, but I do feel good about coming to your place to play on Sunday. On the road, a hostile crowd, everything on the line. I like it. This is what its all about. We seem to play better on the road anyway.

I will say this: it surprised everyone when McNabb insisted on staying in the pocket last game. That really hamstrings his style. The problem is that the Redskins have a rare player - Arrington - who is actually capable of shadowing him, and moreover is an absolute killer of a tackler.

McNabb will most certainly run more, and he will most certainly be hit. You'll also see him sliding at the end of his runs more than you ever have before.

As for Duce, he's going to get to know Robert Jones and Kevin Mitchell up close and personal. Lavar will visit him too.

Plain and simple, I'm very comfortable with Bailey, Smoot and Green covering Thrash, Pinkston and Mitchell and shutting them down. And if the game falls to McNabb and Staley rushing, I feel comfortable with the Redskins LB's hammering them down over the course of the game.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

----------------------

"I fear we've awakened a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve."

- Japanese Imperial Admiral Yamamoto, after hearing that the Japanese declaration of war failed to reach the U.S. government before the attack upon Pearl Harbor

Eagle_Lou: "our O took the day off last time"

Eagletistic: "I can guarantee that the Eagles offense will play better"

Setting aside whether your offense actually took the day off, as current Eagle fan spin has it, but against a conservative offense still trying to get it's act together, your defense didn't exactly dominate either.

You talk about more Eagle offense, but how do they get on the field when your defense is yielding a 15 play, 8:55 minute drive for a score that gives us a lead of greater than 7 points?

With 9 1/2 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter and with only a 7 point lead, we effectively ran the clock out on you guys and got the two score lead, leaving only 30 seconds on the clock.

Whatever happens on the field, score-wise it's likely to remain close. And in close games, that are won in the 4th quarter, your defense has to get the other team off the field and give the offense a chance to win.

So I'd worry about more than your defense showing up if I were you.

The Eagles defense didn't do that last time, and it cost them the game.

Well, it looks like your offense has another vacation day coming on Sunday.

What, pray tell, is all of a sudden going to happen differently this time? McNabb is all of a sudden going to start throwing the ball accurately?

The only hope for the Eagles offense is to run the ball well, which, based on recent trends, appears unlikely.

I think Philly's best chance is going to be to put McNabb in as the running back, then bring in a QB who can actually throw the ball (do the Eagles have anyone who can do that?). That way you can get your best runner and best passer on the field at the same time. OTOH, I don't know who the QB is going to pass to, since the Eagle receivers have a snowball's chance in he!! of getting open.

Doesn't it just kill you to know that your "savior" is really just a false messiah?

NcNabb's also been with the same offense, most of the same players, and the same coaches for the last coupla years. He's also played more games this season and had 135 more attempts.

And I'm nopt so sure about the ints, I see McNabb having 7, Banks 6. Those 4 McNabb fumbles (1 for Banks) don't look so hot though).

BUt this misses the larger point: in that Staley only returned recently, McNabb has HAD to provide more of a passsing threat.

Whereas the Skins are far more balanced offensively, and with our conservative offense we expect far less production from Banks.

The Eagles have an interesting quandry. They are actually ranked higher than the Skins in rushing, with 117 yds per game vs. our 112. They rank 11th to our 13th. But McNabb counts for a huge chunk of that. If you take aaway his running, then the Eagles average only 85.6 yds per game, and would rank 27th.

So the Eagles need to have McNabb running to be successful and to maintain balance. But can McNabb run on the Skins? If he can, then it will be a closer game. But if he can't then I don't think he can do it with his arm.

Hello, Rocket Scientist (RS for short).

Terry did an excellent job of listing the factual inconsistencies of your post.

But where in my post did you read that a comparison of Banks and McNabb was being made? Where do you read my endorsement of Banks as the Redskins QB? Do you need to tear Tony Banks down in order to make McNabb look better?

What a ridiculous comparison. Banks is a minimum wage, training camp waiver-wire pickup. McNabb is the anointed "franchise" QB who has been in the same offense for 3 years. McNabb should be light years ahead of him.

But he's not. And that kills you, doesn't it, bro? Here's the gist of it, RS: Banks is not figured to be any more than a stop-gap measure. If he proves better, great, but, if he walks away, no huge loss.

But McNabb has to be the one for you all - if he isn't, you all are doomed to mediocrity as far as the eye can see. And you have that insidious doubt gnawing away inside of you. So you talk louder, spew pointless facts, and issue pointless, insubstantial proclamations about your team's dominance/prowess. You do this to try to squelch that nagging, probably growing, suspicion that your boys, McNabb in particular, just aren't as good as you had hoped and that you are really scared that your team is going to get another *** -whipping from the Redskins, quite possibly a more severe one than previously administered.

Now, after you mull this over, you and your cronies will come back with some more mindless, pointless drivel - the Redskins losing to the Cowboys twice will probably be a popular one. But it will only serve to magnify your insecurity in the eyes of all on this board. And it will make clear how much you dread the approaching of kickoff on Sunday - and the tortuous confirmation of your suspicions as the game wears on. My only words of advice to you - alcohol will temporarily dull the pain, maybe long enough for you and your ilk to convince yourselves that it was just a dream, a very bad dream...

Eagle_lou,

Don't try to jump all the way to winning the game my friend. What you need to work on is small steps. Try saying the Eagles will get more than 1 first down in the first half and maybe visit the endzone that would be a start.

Redskins 27 Eagles 7

I apologize for taking your jabs at McNabb out of context in my "well look what you got" reply.

However, you should give Eagles fans a bit more slack for thinking McNabb is a promising NFL QB. He was able to single-handedly carry the franchise to the 2nd round of the playoffs on a non-playoff schedule. There were no other skill players on offense that the Eagles could rely on for production. I'll challenge you to find a NFL QB this season or last that has done the same.

Now, McNabb has been average on the whole this season and luckily he hasn't needed to be anything but that for the Eagles to be 8-4. His accuracy is middle-of-the-pack among NFL starters. Against Washington he had by far his most substandard passing stint this season. But to say he's not capable of winning games and being our 'savior' just shows ignorance of the development of an NFL QB. Where are franchise QBs Peyton Manning and Daunte Culpepper now? Buried in losing seasons and blowout losses. Now McNabb has only started about 2 seasons worth of NFL games. To say at this point he should be 'light years' beyond anyone is ludicrous. While he has not yet proven himself to be an every-game winning NFL QB, he's shown more flashes of brilliance than mediocrity.

JackC, 27-7 ? Interesting, I guess Brian Mitchell gets lucky and returns a punt. Too bad for the Eagles.

MW, I'm sure Terry has adequately explained your limitations here, and Sonny J certainly pointed out this was not a comparison thread. Still, you decided to make a comparison and when so doing, I'd certainly appreciate it if you could be accurate. You wrote, "McNabb has a better completion % than Banks, more passing TDs than Banks, fewer INTs than Banks....nevermind."

This is a great throwaway sentence, if in fact, it is true. And if any part of it is untrue, it changes from a great throwaway, to a great error on your part, in fact limiting you substantially. As it happens, McNabb does not have fewer INTS than Banks. Further, here are some interesting stats, I'm sure you'll agree.

Assuming it might have taken Banks a game or two to get into the offense and to learn kind of on the fly, we'll look at the last seven games played by Banks versus the last seven games played by McNabb. The numbers are revealing, given the known factor that Banks is an inferior QB to McNabb. The numbers are also revealing in that Banks missed a chunk of one of these games.

Anyway, over the last seven, here's Banks:

95 completions, 161 attempts, 1237 yards, 7 TDs, 3 INTs.

For McNabb you have, measure the same:

121 completions, 218 attempts, 1305 yards, 10 TDs, 4 INTs.

What I find fascinating about this simple reflection is not that Banks has a higher QB rating than McNabb over a lengthy period (89.99 for Banks versus 80.92 for McNabb) nor is it the fact that Banks has a much better completion percentage over a lengthy period of time (59 percent complete for Banks versus 55.5 percent for McNabb). Rather, what I find fascinating is that despite Banks missing half a game and while playing for a run first unit of late, he has just 68 fewer yards passing than McNabb over the same stretch and we know McNabb is superior, and we know McNabb plays for a passing offense.

I also find it striking that the 68 yard difference between the two over a seven-game stretch is accounted for by McNabb throwing 57 more times, and completing an astounding 26 more balls. This shows us without question that the Eagles are a predominate short passing offense, which means McNabb's completion percentage should be far higher. Yet, it's not higher, and is in fact lower than Banks over the last seven games, and we all know Banks is the lesser player.

I'm sure you'll agree, if you were to look McNabb squarely in the face when evaluating your team, that your "superstar" is playing at a slight hint below the level of our retread. This may well be the difference between our teams. When our average players can play as well as your superstars, it means our superstars are playing like world beaters, and we win six of seven. Including one against you.

Might be different this time for certain. Then again, seven games is a long time to be the better player, so, perhaps that might necessitate a re-evaluation of Banks should he continue to outperform McNabb. Doubtful, I'll grant you, but, an interesting inspection nonetheless, I'm sure you'll agree.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Archived