Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D-line higher priority than RB?

redman

Ok, so who is it? I'm going to say Chidi.

D-line Depth Chart as follows:

DE Bruce Smith/ Derrick "Spiced" Ham

DT Big Daddy/Delbert Cowsette

DT K. Lang/Mario Monds

DL Marco Coleman/Chidi Ahanotu (sp?)

I guess it'll do. I'm not sure we have the cap space to grab Cortez Kennedy. And in any event, Kenard would freak out if he was backing up Smith/Coleman.

Didn't Chidi Ahanatou sign a couple of weeks ago? I seem to remember Chicago as being his destination. Could be mistaken about whether they finalized a deal, however.

I am not surprised by Marty's comments. He is a defensive coach by trade and I can't expect that seeing unproven and undersized Derrick Ham as the team's only option off the bench at End is making him sleep easy at night.

I know it is my major concern going into camp.

Running back is another question mark, but the Skins have really let all the decent backups go elsewhere in free agency. The last of the backs that has shown some productivity, Linton, signed with Tennessee earlier this week.

Perhaps a veteran will be released in camp, somebody who can run inside between the tackles.

Don't see much on the horizon in terms of breakaway backs.

We all better pray that Davis stays healthy this year.

at age 31, Chidi looks to have another couple of years of productivity in him. He got caught in a numbers crunch in Tampa, but could be a contributor here for the right deal.

He is a rugged player and that is a quality we have lacked across the board on defense in the past years.

I've read some stuff on Chidi that his well is running dry. He's got a good motor and could certainly lend us strength against the run and to fill in 20 or so plays a game, and that would be greatly beneficial for Smith and/or Coleman. Chidi can also play both defensive end and tackle where needed. Of the players available out there, I'd say he's as close to a legitimate option as we have, should we improve our depth on the defensive line with a proven player of some ability.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

He already signed with Detroit a while ago.

http://web4.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,3823383_59,00.html

Besides, I'm a bit more worried about DT than DE. If Bruce or Marco go down then we move Lang back to DE into the rotation with Ham. Then that leaves a hole at DT. I think we really better hope that Monds works out and that we're able to pick up serviceable DT help during/after camp cuts.

Chidi is not on the Lions. That was never a signing that went through and Chidi is still available at this point, though he could be slated for Detroit in his own mind.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

for those who think the Skins are going to get much better options in the summer than Chidi Ahanatou should wake up and smell the coffee.

Even marginal players such as Nolan Harrison, late of our own Skins, have found jobs.

There may be a glut of veteran safeties and a certain number of linebackers available but that overflow does NOT extend to the defensive line.

Chidi and Cortez Kennedy are the only experienced players available that appear to be capable of contributing.

what has kept Kennedy from being signed are his still outrageous contract demands.

let's face it. Ahanatou did not get released by the Bucs because he couldn't play anymore. He got released because of the development of Cedric Jones (13 sacks) and the fact his cap number escalated this season.

If he were in Washington there is a great chance he would be either a starting DT or top backup end by the start of the season.

That may be more of a statement about where we are right now on our DL, but it is the truth.

Exactly how big is Chidi? I tend to believe he benefitted from the double teams on SApp. But at the same time smashmouth fotball which is coming back to the NFC East

can war down the quick but small linemen so if he is a lightweight I say see if cortez contract demands drop.

------------------

Dave

ND, Chidi is 6-2, 285 and can go both inside and on the end if needed. Bulldog, while I don't disagree with you that the improved play of Marcus Jones -- who was almost prior to the 1999 season -- helped move Chidi out of Tampa, and the signing of Rice was an improvement for the Bucs and what they want to do. And while I agree that Chidi can be a player, especially in the running game, and agree that of the players available, he might help the most, but, I have seen reports that his tank is running dry, and that also contributed to Tampa's desire to go a different direction.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

perhaps Ahanatou saw the handwriting on the wall with the drafting of Jones and McFarland and figured he was no longer in Tony Dungy's plans?

Also realize that teams have to put out something negative about a player when releasing him to satisfy the local media and fans.

I saw this guy play in a number of games over the years and I never saw less than 100% effort.

He may never reach 10 sacks again playing inside as he did several years ago, but for what the Redskins need right now, that kind of productivity is not necessary.

We need a steadying influence on the line, especially inside where Wilkinson and now Monds are both players that have been tagged with the dreaded ATTITUDE label.

To have a 100% effort guy rotating in that unit seems a prudent move for the Redskins to make.

as a brief followup to a comment above, Cortez Kennedy is in essence Dan Wilkinson 5 years older.

Can you imagine a DT rotation of Wilkinson, Kennedy and Monds, all three of whom have been accused of playing at less than 100% on every play?

If this were to happen I sure hope we have a pocket Vince Lombardi to ride these guys during the season evil.gif

can Marc Boutte still swing his bootay?? evil.gif

God, he must be up to 375 pounds by now after being out of football for a couple of years.

Maybe we could just line him up and have him fall forward on the center or guard and then just pick him up and repeat the proceedure on second down. laugh.gif

Archived