Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP.com Redskins Report July 30; Camp Open to Fans Until Aug.

@DCGoldPants

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64-2004Jun23.html

New From The Post

Redskins Report July 30; Camp Open to Fans Unitl Aug. 7

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 23, 2004; 5:05 PM

The Washington Redskins announced their training camp schedule today, allowing fans to attend most practices at Redskins Park during the first two weeks of sessions. Players will report on Friday, July 30, and hit the field the following day for two training sessions, beginning at 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Practice will be open through Aug. 7, which is fan appreciation day.

There will be one session on most days -- either starting at 9 a.m. or 4:30 p.m. -- and the Redskins will hold morning and afternoon practices on Monday, Aug. 2. The team will travel to Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 8 and play the Denver Broncos on Aug. 9 in the Hall of Fame Game to open the NFL preseason schedule. The team will return to Redskins Park following the game and hold closed practices until Wednesday Aug. 11, when a morning and afternoon session take place, and on Aug. 12, when players are scheduled to take the field at 4:30 p.m.

Gibbs worked his team hard during the past few months in an effort to build chemistry among his players and his staff. The team overhauled one-third of its roster during the off-season, and the goal was to breed familiarity and respect among all the new faces during mini-camps and voluntary practices.

After taking off a month for vacation, the coaches will again push their players in training camp, eager to see how they respond in the sticky heat of summertime while wearing pads and helmets.

"Obviously, up until now we've just been in helmets," Gibbs told reporters Tuesday. "The most important thing is when you get the pads on and start hitting people and get the right precision and actually start blocking and tackling."

After Aug. 12, most if not all of the remainder of training camp will be closed to the public and the team will also hold some night practices away from Redskins Park at high schools in the Ashburn area; those will also be closed.

All open sessions are free to the public.

No seating will be available to fans, and the team advised those who wish to view practices to bring their own chairs. Picnic tables will be set up, food and drinks will be available for sale and fans can also bring their own coolers (no alcohol is permitted).

The Redskins have yet to finalize all of their plans for Fan Appreciation Day, although the team's cheerleaders and marching band will be present and players will be signing autographs, the team said.

Gibbs, back in the NFL after an 11-year absence, has been candid in his desire to maintain a level of secrecy among his players and staff. He wants to capitalize on the element of surprise, with opponents wondering how the team will operate given how long Gibbs was away from the game. Thus it is expected that fans and the media will have considerably less access to practices during the second half of August.

"We do have somewhat of an advantage there, and we'd like to keep it," Gibbs said. "There's going to be some indecision [from opponents] about, 'How much are these guys going to do?' "

Training camp sessions will generally last between 90 minutes to two hours and some players may sign autographs at the conclusion of each session, but there will be no structured signings, save for on fan appreciation day.

Washington will play two home preseason games at FedEx Field -- Aug. 14 against Carolina and Sept. 3 against Atlanta -- and will play at Miami on Aug. 21 and at St. Louis on Aug. 27 before opening the regular season Sept. 12 at FedEx Field against Tampa Bay.

Those night practices will occur in the second half of august as the team attempts to simulate night games. Remember, Gibbs is a fanatic for detail. Special teams needs to adjust to lights etc. Many teams don't bring their players close to the stadium as the season arrives so the first time they take the feel the atmosphere is new to them, all the electricity etc. It's really not an uncommon occurrence.

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

Those night practices will occur in the second half of august as the team attempts to simulate night games. Remember, Gibbs is a fanatic for detail. Special teams needs to adjust to lights etc. Many teams don't bring their players close to the stadium as the season arrives so the first time they take the feel the atmosphere is new to them, all the electricity etc. It's really not an uncommon occurrence.

Practicing at night - that's a good idea.

I wonder if he will try to simulate noise, for playing away games. I remember hearing Jim Fassell used to sometimes play jet noise over loud speakers during practice before certain away games.

This is very smart by Gibbs ... he can let the players play in unfamiliar circumstances so that they can get used to playing on different fields and field conditions even if the noise isn't what a visitor's stadium would be. Also, he has said that he has outlined a rough draft game plan for all of our opponents for the first half of the season. Week 3 is Monday night. Later in the season we play Baltimore in evening on a Sunday night. Late in the season we play the Eagles at night ... 3 night games this year. It is a great idea to have the players practice playing in night conditions. I love the idea. I really hope they are playing at the high school down the street from me in Ashburn Farm. I will have to keep an eye on for when the lights are lit on the field at night :)

Originally posted by WallyG3

That seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

Wally, half of the schedule is a 4pm kickoff or later.

9/12 Tampa 1pm

9/19 @ Giants 1pm

9/27 Dallas 9pm

10/3 @ Browns 1pm

10/10 Ravens 8:30

10/17 @ Bears 1pm

10/24 BYE WEEK

10/31 Packers 1pm

11/7 @ Detroit 1pm

11/14 Bengals 4pm

11/21 @ Eagles 4pm

11/28 @ Steelers 1pm

12/5 Giants 4pm

12/12 Eagles 8:30

12/18 @ 49ers 5pm

12/26 @ Dallas 4pm

1/2 Vikings 1pm

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Wally, half of the schedule is a 4pm kickoff or later.

That can change to even more late games. If the Skins are doing well they will move more of their games to 4 pm during double header weeks for Fox for ratings purposes.

Originally posted by bnacpa

This is very smart by Gibbs ... he can let the players play in unfamiliar circumstances so that they can get used to playing on different fields and field conditions even if the noise isn't what a visitor's stadium would be. Also, he has said that he has outlined a rough draft game plan for all of our opponents for the first half of the season. Week 3 is Monday night. Later in the season we play Baltimore in evening on a Sunday night. Late in the season we play the Eagles at night ... 3 night games this year. It is a great idea to have the players practice playing in night conditions. I love the idea. I really hope they are playing at the high school down the street from me in Ashburn Farm. I will have to keep an eye on for when the lights are lit on the field at night :)

Isn't that Stone Bridge? I used to live in Sterling & work in Ashburn. I miss being right down the street from Redskins Park.

I also like the idea of the team practicing at night. I also heard somewhere that they were going to have an NFL official at the practices so they could get used to how picky the refs are & learn how to stay onside, for God's sake! Anyway, that's just what I heard. Don't know how true it is.

Archived