Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN/Reuters: Mary-Kate Olsen being treated for eating disorder

jenmdixon

This makes me so incredibly sad. I was an anorexic when I was at her age and it was very tough for me to get through it and get healthy (and now I'm on the other end of the spectrum :(). I can't even imagine how hard it is going to be for this girl to work through this and get healthy, especially considering the industry she is in and how many ::ahem:: males in this society have coveted her and her sister since they were in their early teens. I just hope that she can get through it and not end up as Karen Carpenter did :(.

========

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/22/people.olsen.reut/index.html

Mary-Kate Olsen being treated for eating disorder

Tuesday, June 22, 2004 Posted: 2:57 PM EDT (1857 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Teen actress Mary-Kate Olsen, who with her twin sister Ashley has grown into an American pop icon and fashion brand, has entered a program for treatment of an eating disorder reported to be anorexia.

vert.mary.kate.olsen.ap.jpg

Mary-Kate Olsen signs autographs at the Los Angeles premiere of "New York Minute" in May.

The 18-year-old co-star of last month's film "New York Minute" recently "entered a treatment facility to seek professional help for a health-related issue," publicist Michael Pagnotta said Tuesday.

"She is thankful for the encouragement and support of her friends and family, who are with her every step of the way," he added.

A person familiar with the situation told Reuters that Olsen was suffering from an eating disorder. Olsen entered a facility during the past week or 10 days and was expected to remain in treatment for about a month, the person said.

Us Weekly magazine, in the cover story of its upcoming issue, identified the disorder as anorexia.

Speculation about Olsen's rail-thin figure has been the subject of tabloids, gossip columns and the Internet for weeks. The actress herself poked fun at the issue during the twins' recent appearance on "Saturday Night Live," shouting to an extra playing herself, "You're too skinny! Eat a sandwich!"

Pagnotta said both sisters, who turned 18 on June 13, were going ahead with plans to attend New York University together in the fall.

But Ashley Olsen will be making a planned trip later this month to Australia and New Zealand without Mary-Kate to launch overseas promotion of "New York Minute" -- the sisters' first theatrical feature, he said.

The twins have been in the public eye since they were 9 months old, starring in the television sitcom "Full House." Since then, they have sold millions of videos, DVDs and books and have launched their own fashion line.

But director-producer Michael Kruzan, who has worked with the twins for years, was quoted in Us Weekly as describing Mary-Kate as the "more competitive" of the two girls.

You can count this male out, her and her sis aren't my type at all, both are way too thin. Add to that the bright blue eyes that after watching too many horror flicks just look like zombie's to me.

And for the actual point of this post: It sad to see women kill themselves trying to reach the front page photoshop look. It says something about our culture.

I agree destino, a fracture in a culture similar to high school girls getting breast enhancements for graduation presents.

It's no longer "ok" to be who you are with your own little quirks, nowadays you've got to look like the person on the cover of Teen magazine.

Go to the mall sometime, check out the teenage girls there. All of them wearing small tops and low-cut waist jeans. They're like clones. It's disheartening to see the mob mentality in today's kids. No teenager wants to stick out, preferring to be just like everyone else as to not get noticed or singled out.

That's sad, but the harsh reality of show business. It's unfortunate she chose to deal with the pressures by forcing herself not to eat.

Only in America.

For the record, I think both of those girls will be georgeus. I do not have much sympathy for this matter, but do hope she gets better.

--edit--

The lack of symapthy is not for the disease, it's for the person who is richer beyond my imagination and has every single means of maintaining a healthy appearance and diet at her disposal.

But after all, she is young.

What is beautiful is good, but not necessarily healthy. The sad fact is that we are effectively brain-washed on what to perceive as beautiful.

Too bad she doesn't see having are good career and making lots of money as a form of control. Oh well, maybe this will start a new trend that encourages people to feel happy with the way they look.

Yeah, sure it will.

Originally posted by jenmdixon

I can't even imagine how hard it is going to be for this girl to work through this and get healthy, especially considering the industry she is in and how many ::ahem:: males in this society have coveted her and her sister since they were in their early teens.

Jen, I agree that it's going to be a rough road for her, as I'm sure it was for you. And I want to congratulate you on beating your illness.

I do think that a bit of the pop-culture blame on males for eating disorders--not all of it, but a bit of it--misses the underlying social pressures that may spur such phenomena. My girlfriend is a dedicated feminist, and she agrees that to focus on male preferences when searching for the causes of anorexia and the like does not paint a complete picture at all.

Eating disorders are a method of controlling an aspect of a life that, to the sufferer, has gone out of control. It's easy to see how this could be the case for a celebrity teen. She's rich, her likeness is plastered all over the place, marketers and executives are making millions of dollars over her, she has consultants telling her what to do and what to wear and how to act, and to top it all off, she has to compete with a twin sister! It's not horribly surprising that she found one aspect of life in which she could bring absolute control: her eating habits.

The sad thing is that the control, in this case, is pure illusion.

If we are to mitigate instances of nonobesity eating disorders in women (and men--the number is growing!), then we have to consider a number of factors. We have to consider peer pressure from other females and images from fashion mags. We have to look at ourselves (how many Americans are F-A-T?) and try to realize what we might be rebelling against. As more people become obese, so too do the numbers of anorexics and bulimics go up. We lose that happy, healthy middle ground.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Jen, I agree that it's going to be a rough road for her, as I'm sure it was for you. And I want to congratulate you on beating your illness.

I do think that a bit of the pop-culture blame on males for eating disorders--not all of it, but a bit of it--misses the underlying social pressures that may spur such phenomena. My girlfriend is a dedicated feminist, and she agrees that to focus on male preferences when searching for the causes of anorexia and the like does not paint a complete picture at all.

Eating disorders are a method of controlling an aspect of a life that, to the sufferer, has gone out of control. It's easy to see how this could be the case for a celebrity teen. She's rich, her likeness is plastered all over the place, marketers and executives are making millions of dollars over her, she has consultants telling her what to do and what to wear and how to act, and to top it all off, she has to compete with a twin sister! It's not horribly surprising that she found one aspect of life in which she could bring absolute control: her eating habits.

The sad thing is that the control, in this case, is pure illusion.

If we are to mitigate instances of nonobesity eating disorders in women (and men--the number is growing!), then we have to consider a number of factors. We have to consider peer pressure from other females and images from fashion mags. We have to look at ourselves (how many Americans are F-A-T?) and try to realize what we might be rebelling against. As more people become obese, so too do the numbers of anorexics and bulimics go up. We lose that happy, healthy middle ground.

Well said, AtB (and the rest of you too). I wasn't trying to implicate all men in this problem, trust me. Thankfully, not everyone chooses to be a lemming and only likes the pablum they are being offered. :)

During that time of my life, I was well aware at the time that the only one causing the problem, ultimately, was me. However, there are outside factors which aid in making that person feel as though they MUST lose weight and MUST look a certain way - society, the media (advertising/marketing, tv, books, music, movies, etc.), and the fashion industry, among other things. Either end of the spectrum (anorexia, compulsive overeating, etc.) has similar problems in that it's all about control. The voice inside your head keeps telling you to give in and just do what it says, stop eating that!

It's similar in mindset to the person who always needs to have plastic surgery done, or who obsessively styles their hair, etc. It's indeed a control issue and stems from the person not being in control of anything else (in their mind, that is) and making sure that they can control ONE THING and that achieving control will make them feel better about themselves. Believe me, I know.

I really do hope that this spotlights the disease for young women (and men too) and that others with the problem will come forward , admit the problem, and get help.

BTW, I am not convinced that Lara Flynn Boyle's problem is solely an eating disorder...I've read about a possible drug habit. Whitney Houston is another celebrity who has looked gaunt in the more recent past, and you've heard the rumors about her as well...

Very sad, especially seeing them grow from sweet little babies on Full House into their teen years. Feels like I almost know them.

I'm definitely not male bashing here, as I'm as perverted and probably moreso than anyone on this site, but I was a bit disgusted by the, "The Olsen twins are legal, huh-huh-huh" elbow in the ribs mentality that has been floating around for the past few weeks.

It seemed almost like the hip thing to do. Everybody from my father to some no-name actor on VH1 was making jokes which basically inferred that adult men had been yearning for a pair of very young girls since they were under a year old. And they look young too. It's not like they're exactly voluptuous or anything.

I normally wouldn't give a damn about anything that was taking place in the pop culture universe, but I couldn't help but be slightly appalled at the treatment they were privy to. I just imagined them sitting at home watching any given talk show and hearing joke after joke about dirty old men yearning for their sweet supple bodies. They must've felt violated.

Imagine being their father and hearing all these inferences made about your beloved daughters. I would be furious.

I honest to God feel sorry for the Olsen twins, and I normally wouldn't feel any pity for a pair of teenage billionaires. They've been under a microscope for virtually all of their lives and have been subject to jokes about middle-aged men wanting to take their virginity since they entered high school, if not before.

No wonder Mary-Kate was driven to anorexia.

Enough with bashing males. The fact is the true sexpots from the 40s to even today(anna nicole, anyone) have always been bigger than size zero. Take a look around a mall, there are plenty of 'thick' girls who have good-looking, well-off, intelligent boyfriends. I've had a size zero girl and I've had a size 16. Most guys I know are like that(to varying degrees) and almost none of them said anything derogatory about EITHER girl's size or appearance.

Waaaaaaay too many men prefer a woman with a tad bit of some'in to her, for this to be attributable to standards of beauty. Look at the women who've gotten gaunt, all the while men and women are telling them to friggin eat and how UNATTRACTIVE they've become.

This is a self-perception, self-love issue. All these eating disorders are is a manifestation of a person's self-loathing in a personally acceptable(to them) form.

Hell, used to be that when someone didn't eat it wasn't an attempt to be thin but because of other issues. I think, to some degree, these disorders were practices of a class of women that HAD to remain small and stay in exact measurements that spread to other women with issues who didn't have the same pressures on them to maintain an exact type of figure or weight.

Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

I like a little feminine fat. You know whos body freaks me out? Pink. She has like big forearms and hands. Man hands. Plus her stomach is all weird too...freaks me out yo.

I agree with you about Pink...I was so drunk one night I tried to convinve my buddy she was hot!! I sobered up and thought :doh: She scares me!!

I feel like a bigger arse than usual...last week when they were talking about the Olsen Twins turning 18...I turned to my wife and said "I hope somebody gave them a sandwich for their Birthday". I thought it was funny at the time :doh: ...little did I know.

Eating Disorder = Not Funny

Originally posted by RonJeremy

I agree with you about Pink...I was so drunk one night I tried to convinve my buddy she was hot!! I sobered up and thought :doh: She scares me!!

I feel like a bigger arse than usual...last week when they were talking about the Olsen Twins turning 18...I turned to my wife and said "I hope somebody gave them a sandwich for their Birthday". I thought it was funny at the time :doh: ...little did I know.

Eating Disorder = Not Funny

Yeah, but a disorder is by definition somewhat hazy in its boundaries. I mean, where is the line?

Don't feel bad about it. There are people out there with brain and bone cancer, I think we can poke a little fun at people who are too damn skinny for their own good.

I'd point out though, I'm just as sick of skinny-women hatin'. I just dated..er, kinda dated(who the hell knows with these broads) a very skinny girl(still very pretty) who took after her mom. I'd hate for people to judge her because SHE didn't fit into THEIR standard. SHe was beautiful, if a bit thin. No reason to bash her either.

Archived