Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sun-Sentinel: Skins "definately" curious about acquiring Ogunleye.

Southtown

Who was picked #12 and #24 in the 2000 NFL Draft  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who was picked #12 and #24 in the 2000 NFL Draft

• DE John Abraham
    • RB Shaun Alexander
    • DE Shaun Ellis
    • TE Bubba Franks
    • DT Chris Hovan
    • RB Jamal Lewis
    • OLB Julian Peterson
    • CB Ahmed Plummer

Only a blurb...but hey, if an "NFL source" says it...it must be true! :rolleyes: Slow news day today.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphins21jun21,0,4704833.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Two teams interested in Ogunleye

By Alex Marvez

Staff writer

Posted June 21 2004

Two teams seeking to upgrade their pass rush have an interest in trading for Adewale Ogunleye if the Dolphins place the Pro Bowl defensive end on the trading block.

An NFL source said Sunday that Washington is "definitely" curious about acquiring Ogunleye, who is threatening a lengthy holdout if the Dolphins don't sign him to a long-term contract extension. The Florida Times-Union reported last week that Jacksonville also is closely monitoring the situation.

The Dolphins have not actively pursued trying to trade Ogunleye this offseason, but that could change if an impressive offer is made, especially in light of Ogunleye being unsigned and no contract agreement imminent.

Chicago had shown interest in Ogunleye before April's NFL Draft, but the Bears were unwilling to part with the first- and third-round picks. The NFL deadline then passed for teams to sign Ogunleye to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent, giving the Dolphins his exclusive rights for the 2004 season.

Ogunleye couldn't be traded until re-signing with the Dolphins.

He would likely refuse to sign under a trade scenario unless a suitor was willing to offer a multi-year contract with an eight-digit signing bonus.

"There's nothing new with negotiations but we're keeping an optimistic approach," agent Drew Rosenhaus said Sunday night.

It's not just the outrageous contract we'd have to give him (the 'skins could probably finagle something). The question is: what would the Dolphins demand in trade? How about we give up our remaining 2005 draft picks so that we can skip the draft entirely next year.

People talk about how good he is playing across Jason Taylor, and Im not saying Jason Taylor is bad in anyway. However, say we do sign him, and Wynn/Upshaw/Daniels start at the other spot (im sure if this were to happen Wynn would be put at the DT spot actually), but anyways, the pressure goes onto Ogunleye automatically, and that frees up Daniels/Upshaw, as well as Marcus or Lavar. If you leave Ogunleye blocked on single coverage, then obviously hes just gonna push through. Taylor and Ogunleye each had double digit sacks last year, obviously shows both are very capable.

However, I still stand that we relaly cannot afford him and I do not want to part with Gardner especially with the Coles minor toe problem. I wouldnt want to part with anyone else on our team, or any of our picks either.

Originally posted by China

It's not just the outrageous contract we'd have to give him (the 'skins could probably finagle something). The question is: what would the Dolphins demand in trade? How about we give up our remaining 2005 draft picks so that we can skip the draft entirely next year.

Well if there are only two teams interested, the Dolphins could only ask for so much. I'd give Rod Gardner straight up for Ogunleye if we could fit his contract into our future plans.

Originally posted by Buddha

Well if there are only two teams interested, the Dolphins could only ask for so much. I'd give Rod Gardner straight up for Ogunleye if we could fit his contract into our future plans.

If they took that trade they are fools:laugh: I like Gardner though why is everybody so quick to get rid of him?

NoNoNo... not again with the gardner trades. We are not trading Gardner as he will be a great fit for our #2 receiver and have a great year. We are not signing Ogunleye either, geeze people this is a terrible offseason lull. Lets do of something to take our minds off offseason politics for a while. Like... :cheers:

Originally posted by SlobberknockerSkinsFan

Would be nice but.......

We only have 1.9 mill. cap space and we haven't signed Taylor or the rest of the rookies. Let it pass.......

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

:notworthy

Do you have a site where i can get this kind of info. I know we just released a lot of cap stress in a couple of guys, so shouldn't that number have gone up?

Originally posted by afparent

It would be nice but can we even afford him.

Not really. I'm sure that Danny boy would/could find some way of working it out, but we've still got to sign our draft pics form this year, and you know Taylor isn't going to be cheep!

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to part ways with Gardner. I think that the battle he is going to have to go through this preseason, will make him a better player not to mention the coaching he will get. Besides, he is a great #2, and can be used as a good #1 if needed at a very small price tag. To get rid of that would be a tremendous mistake in my opinion.

Why trade Gardner? I'd say because McCants/Jacobs/Thrash can replace him.

I'd have to think you'd have to be completely sold on Wally and evaluated every piece of film on him to determine if it's worth it. I'd pay attention to how many times Taylor and Bowens got good pressure on opposing QBs and they flushed him right into Wally.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

If they took that trade they are fools:laugh: I like Gardner though why is everybody so quick to get rid of him?

A Gardner trade keeps coming up because he is expendable. We have terrific depth at WR and Gardner has decent trade value.

Our lineup without Gardner would still be Coles, McCants, Thrash, Jacobs. Not too shabby.

The value on Ogunleye has dropped, but is still much higher than Gardner. Although, I think we could work him into the cap (which should be around $5M according to Buddha), I doubt a trade for Gardner alone would happen. Maybe Gardner, and a draft pick, or Gardner and Rock :(

Besides, isn't the whole coaching staff (including President Gibbs, and Asst Head Coach in charge of Defense Williams) on vacation?

Originally posted by Kevin101

It would be cool for LaVar and Portis just to talk to him and tell him not to be signed a lot so he can come play with us.

Nice thought but I just don't see it working out that way. First, most of the time players don't interfer with other players contracts/negotiations. Secondly, I don't think that he would even listen. But its not like I even know the guy.

So a reporter says Washington is definitely interested in a player...........haven't we heard this one before? Washington is a possible location for every guy that becomes available it seems.

How many times does Joe Gibbs or Gregg Williams have to say that we are comfortable going into the season with what we have along the defensive line before we believe them?

If the staff felt that our club was so desperate along the defensive line, then we would have ponied up the cash right off the bat and not thought twice about signing Jevon Kearse. We used plenty of discretion in the decision not to sign Jevon, and his signing wouldn't have even involved giving up players or draft picks in the process.

Do you really think that our coaching staff is prepared to dish out an 8 figure signing bonus and lose players/draft picks in the process for a guy who isn't as proven as Jevon Kearse, the same Jevon Kearse who we chose NOT to sign in free agency?

Originally posted by Rejuvenated Canadian Hog

Do you really think that our coaching staff is prepared to dish out an 8 figure signing bonus and lose players/draft picks in the process for a guy who isn't as proven as Jevon Kearse, the same Jevon Kearse who we chose NOT to sign in free agency?

While I don't think we are even looking at him, just to be Devil's Advocate:

We would dish out cash and picks for a guy like this. He had 24.5 sacks the last 2 years.

Look at what we gave for Portis and Brunell.

I think Ogunleye is more valuable even than Kearse, and could be had for a lot cheaper because of the market conditions. His production is comparable to Kearse, he's younger, and hasn't had the injury problems Kearse has had.

Originally posted by WallyG3

A Gardner trade keeps coming up because he is expendable. We have terrific depth at WR and Gardner has decent trade value.

Our lineup without Gardner would still be Coles, McCants, Thrash, Jacobs. Not too shabby.

The value on Ogunleye has dropped, but is still much higher than Gardner. Although, I think we could work him into the cap (which should be around $5M according to Buddha), I doubt a trade for Gardner alone would happen. Maybe Gardner, and a draft pick, or Gardner and Rock :(

Besides, isn't the whole coaching staff (including President Gibbs, and Asst Head Coach in charge of Defense Williams) on vacation?

Mcants has a nack for the endzone and is great depth but he is very rough around the edges, Jacobs has not done a thing to rely on him (although he has upside he has not proven anything) and Thrash showed he clearly he can not get off the line of scrimage and he drops the easy ones a lot.

You take away Gardner and our WR corps is very sub par.

Jaguars | Interested In Ogunleye - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:43:05 -0700

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars have in interest in trading for unsigned restricted free agent DE Adewale Ogunleye if the Miami Dolphins place him on the trading block. The Florida Times-Union reported last week that the Jaguars are closely monitoring the situation. Ogunleye is threatening a lengthy holdout if the Dolphins don't sign him to a long-term contract extension. The Dolphins have not actively pursued trying to trade Ogunleye, but that could change if a significant offer is made.

Redskins | Interested In Ogunleye - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:34:36 -0700

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Washington Redskins have in interest in trading for unsigned restricted free agent DE Adewale Ogunleye if the Miami Dolphins place him on the trading block. An NFL source said Sunday, June 20, that the Redskins are "definitely" curious about acquiring Ogunleye, who is threatening a lengthy holdout if the Dolphins don't sign him to a long-term contract extension. The Dolphins have not actively pursued trying to trade Ogunleye, but that could change if a significant offer is made.

Archived