Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Instead of NFL Europe...how about a minor league over here?

@DCGoldPants

There are enough stadiums..............and even fans that would go see the product.

Why not?

I've been trying to catch more NFLE games this spring/summer and kept thinking about how much easier it would be to do this in the US. I know its about expanding the product....but come on. They like Soccer over there. It won't change.

So............here is what I was thinking.

For each Division, you have 1 minor league team. The 4 teams in that division send like 8 guys to that expansion team and the rest of the roster are guys who aren't on any team.

You get 8 teams all around the country which is just like what the NFL is doing already.

Then each season you rotate which stadium they use within that division. For the NFC East team it could totally go from FedEx to Texas to Philly to the Meadowlands. It would be easy to not have games over lap in NY.

This way, every few years.....we'd get something fun to go see live on the weekends, keep tickets cheap and those who can't get into see their teams during the regular season would get to see SOMETHING!

good? bad?

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Big problem would be playing time on these teams, especially within the division. You could though mix and match divisions, or make new divisions for NFL Europe.

Cool idea

if i was the NFL Commisionar, I'd hire ur ass in a second. what a cool idea. i never get to see any games. i once went to a ravens/redskins game here (when brad johson QBd us), and i was so excited. well, it thunderstormed, and they cancelled the game. i cried, for like, ever. i was 9, i think. last time i ever cried...

fine....I don't care HOW you create the divisions. But if you send all your players all over....they all might be backups when they should be some playing time. Look at Ham-Sandwich. He'd come in and do well, then get benched again for a bum. What's the point?

In my mind......if you kept it within division. It would help players learn to play with possible teammates if they both make the final cut....and the guys they might play against when the season starts.

If you wanted to create a Division based on Geography, that would be fine also. Skins, Ravens, Eagles, Jets(To mix it up). Then Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, AZ.

Umm.....Tampa, Jax, Miami, Carolina.

Seattle, Oakland, San Fran, San Diego.

Steelers, Titans, St Louis, Detroit

Giants, Buffalo, Indy, New England.

Denver, Cincy, Green Bay, Chicago

ok, I didn't do that right. I messed up some spots. But you get the point.

i think that works well, maybe they could somehow consolidate the arena league to this or something. It'd be a good way to homegrow players better as well. Do we really need another though, CFL, Arena, and NFLE are there, NFLE being essentially a minor league for the NFL. Not sure if theyd approve of spending that money, especially since people may not show enough for minor gamesl.

It would have been nice to buy out the AFL, incorporate an affiliation tag on players, like NFLE, then allow collective bargaining agreements to help prepare for future NFLPA contracts in the NFL. The problem is now the AFL is firmly entrenched in selected ownership by both independent owners and owners of NFL teams. The biggest name being Jerry Jones and now our own, Dan Snyder, wanting to be a playa' in the round table.

Should there be more of a push for these teams, venues and increase in the length of the field, then the market could open up even bigger. The push definitely has to come from previous "successful" ownership of big league clubs, with competent systems managers, presidents, and scout systems to make it a positive effort. This would aid in displaced personnel in cities and rural areas, alike (much like baseball farm systems), so it wouldn't matter as much where, as long as its who? (players affiliated with big time ball clubs would attract attention to these areas, helping that market).

As we know, after the American Football League and National Football League merger, there have been a few attempts at new leagues, that failed, but one yeilded some great players (USFL, White, Walker, Clark, etc,) and coaches (Mora, Spurrier,etc.), so taking a chance on a U S based farm team isn't far fetched at all. That farm team league champ could play the NFLE champ for the new trophy and the level of play and players would be beneficial to the whole league.

I could see the AFL being redone with both their current and NFLE current players for such a league, but how does it jive with the European market where the teams ARE appreciated (some really aren't that much, so they can pack it in, and only keep the ones there that really want a team, reducing costs in the first place).

I thought I'd try to watch a few NFLE games this season and they were painful. I stopped watching after about half a quarter. That's the only problem you may run into with minor league football in the US. Europeans don't know that they're getting a severely watered down product, whereas Americans get the real deal every year. I'm just not sure if people would shell out their hard earned money to see a second-rate football game.

Anbody seen an Arena League game? They sound like they would be a lot of fun to see! I heard that Synder owns the rights for DC and for some reason or another does not want to put a team here yet?

I would want a team that I could go and see. A team playing in Philly or NY would excit me in the least. It would help if the ticket price was affordable as well!

Maybe next year!

If there was a minor league system here it would be better for turn out if it were in cities that don't currently have a pro team, like Richmond Va, Alabama, Kansas, Utah, Oregon, etc. - the Games could be played at college stadiums.

Originally posted by GoDannyBoy

Anbody seen an Arena League game? They sound like they would be a lot of fun to see! I heard that Synder owns the rights for DC and for some reason or another does not want to put a team here yet?

I would want a team that I could go and see. A team playing in Philly or NY would excit me in the least. It would help if the ticket price was affordable as well!

Maybe next year!

Arena Football is GREAT live. I used to go to Albany Firebird games when I lived in the Capital District. The games are certainly not for people that like defense, that's for sure!! And Snyder does own the rights to a team and I was wondering when he was going to get that team together to start play. Hell, Jerry already has his team playing down in Dallas!!

Originally posted by flashback

Rock,

The guys at ProFootballTalk put forth a very detailed proposal for a farm league about a year ago. I'm in complete agreement that a minor league would be great for the NFL. I'll try to dig up what they had.

That would be awesome.

Imagine if this were the final weeks of the NFL Minor league season.....we'd all be talking about how the NFC East Team is about to crush the AFC South Team in the Mini-Super Bowl.

Small-town minor leagues works here in the US for Baseball, Hockey, and even Soccer to an extent. Basketball has struggled a bit with crowds, but I think football could truly succeed. If you stocked the rosters with hometown guys (ie...if Richmond had a team, you fill it with players from UVA, Va Tech, etc. in addition to the allocated players), there would be a local draw for the fans.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

save their time and money to wait on a ticket list for a decade? You make the seats cheap cheap cheap.........and give families of 4 a chance to see live football for under $100 when during the season would cost a lot more.

Archived