Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Fabiano of CBS Sportsline: 'Skins to win Superbowl XXXIX

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/fantasy/story/7390830

10. Which team will win Super Bowl XXXIX?

The Broncos are the only team to win back-to-back titles in the past decade, and three of the past four champs didn't qualify for the playoffs the previous season. Taking those facts into account, this columnist predicts that coach Joe Gibbs will lead the Redskins over the Indianapolis Colts for their fourth NFL title.

Also from the article:

3. What veteran offseason move will have the greatest Fantasy impact?

The deal that sent running back Clinton Portis to the Washington Redskins in exchange for cornerback Champ Bailey will have the greatest overall impact. Portis will remain one of the top five runners under the tutelage of coach Joe Gibbs, who depends on an effective ground attack to produce a potent offense.

Portis' presence in the backfield will keep opposing defenses honest, and in turn increases the value of Mark Brunell, Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner. Brunell should have time to make his reads as defenses limit blitzes for fear that Portis will break off a huge run. This also limits the number of double teams Coles and Gardner will face, making them bigger threats in the passing game.

Portis will also boost the value of kicker John Hall, albeit in an indirect fashion. The Redskins offense should be potent, meaning plenty of field-goal and extra-point chances.

EDIT: Heya Goldy! At first I didn't realize you had posted it - good to see you. :-)

Originally posted by Baculus

Also from the article:

3. What veteran offseason move will have the greatest Fantasy impact?

The deal that sent running back Clinton Portis to the Washington Redskins in exchange for cornerback Champ Bailey will have the greatest overall impact. Portis will remain one of the top five runners under the tutelage of coach Joe Gibbs, who depends on an effective ground attack to produce a potent offense.

Portis' presence in the backfield will keep opposing defenses honest, and in turn increases the value of Mark Brunell, Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner. Brunell should have time to make his reads as defenses limit blitzes for fear that Portis will break off a huge run. This also limits the number of double teams Coles and Gardner will face, making them bigger threats in the passing game.

Portis will also boost the value of kicker John Hall, albeit in an indirect fashion. The Redskins offense should be potent, meaning plenty of field-goal and extra-point chances.

EDIT: Heya Goldy! At first I didn't realize you had posted it - good to see you. :-)

I don't agree with this. Portis was a top 5 fantasy RB last year, and he will be one again this year. How is that the most impact? He's right about giving the passing and kicking game a boost though.

The veteran offseason move with the most fantasy impact is Hearst leaving the 49ers. That move makes Barlow a starting fantasy RB that has the potential to break the top 10.

I agree with Sebowski... he can't go too much higher up the chart.

The veteran move that will have the highest fantasy impact could be OL coach Alex Gibbs to the Falcons, where he could turn TJ Duckett into a monster.

~Bang

the move made coles and gardner and possibly jacobs and hall more productive. portis may not be any better of a pick than last year considering he can't really go up from where he was, but the move bumped up about 3 or 4 other players that is why it has the most impact.

this columnist predicts that coach Joe Gibbs will lead the Redskins over the Indianapolis Colts for their fourth NFL title.

That would be SOOOO FREAKIN' SWEEEEET!!!!

And it would once and for all shut up my dad and pinheaded older brother the Colts fans too!!!!

:coltsuck: :coltsuck:

Originally posted by nace14

the move made coles and gardner and possibly jacobs and hall more productive. portis may not be any better of a pick than last year considering he can't really go up from where he was, but the move bumped up about 3 or 4 other players that is why it has the most impact.

Exactly. Were you people reading the article?:doh:

My better judgement has me thinking this guy is a closet Skins fan. I think the team will be better, but don't think they have a realistic shot at a Superbowl appearance, much less a victory. I don't want to set up Gibbs for failure after such a long absence from the game.

Originally posted by bird_1972

My better judgement has me thinking this guy is a closet Skins fan. I think the team will be better, but don't think they have a realistic shot at a Superbowl appearance, much less a victory. I don't want to set up Gibbs for failure after such a long absence from the game.

Neither do I, but I think nowadays anything is possible. Spurrier beat the SB champs last year... huh! John Fox led a 1-15 team to the SB in two seasons... WOW! Joe Gibbs, Mr Hall of Fame, returns to glory and super bowl in first year back... Oh wait that hasn't happened... YET!:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

A super bowl win the first season back would earn gibbs another movie; the first being the scab team movie with Keanu Reeves.

Highly unlikely no matter how much we'd all love to see it.

A playoff team is what we need to get in his first season; I would love to keep his career record of only one losing season intact (and his worst season record of 7-9 stay intact).

Archived