Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 Reasons why The Eagles might not repeat in the NFC East

bubba9497

Top 10 Reasons why The Eagles might not repeat in the NFC East

10- Rookie Guard Shawn Andrews inserted in the starting line up. Even the best of OL talent struggles during his first season starting in the NFL, as well disrupt the chemistry established by a decent OL the past couple seasons. Mental mistakes, and getting beat by top DL, will hurt the Eagles at key moment several times this season, while he learns.

9- Loss of Taylor and Vincent. The Eagles gave up top talent, and veteran experience/ leadership in the defensive backfield. The young CB's may be top talent in time, but even with some playing time last season, it is still a huge jump with out the Pro Bowl talent backing them up/ helping them.

8- Terrel Owens. He may have exceptional receiving skills, and big play capabilities, but will it be enough to offset the team distraction, and possible locker room division that seems to be his calling card. He is a drama queen, and wants the spotlight on himself. He has already starting public complaining.. though he later tried to shrug it off. Will McNabb try to force the ball to TO (ala TO Ratio).. just to keep him happy?

7- Philly Fans... OK they don't play, but the pressure to win is at an all time high after 3 straight NFC Championship losses. If the Eagles stumble early.... The players won't be able to get away from the fans anger/ media barrage, etc.. and it will play on them mentally.

6- Many believe the Eagles took a step backward at LB this season

5- Teams can run on the Eagles (they were #22 last season against the run) With the Cowboys OL, a much improved Redskin OL schemes, plus adding a break away big play back in Portis, and a Giants' team whose coach believes in a big strong OL and big running game... it will be a great deal more challenging this season that last.

4- Can the Eagles maintain a solid rushing attack with the loss of Staley. He was not only a key member in the run game, but also was possibly the best screen pass receiver in the NFC East last season. He was McNabbs safety outlet. He was also the big back and kept the smaller Westbrook to be used less (picking his spot to be most effective) and reduced the risk of injury or wearing him down. The Eagles have no replacement for his departure.

3- The Cowboys are in year two of Parcells, players are more experienced and they added a faster RB in Jones over Hambrick. Jason Witten will be a bigger threat this season especially with the addition of Meshawn. The Cowboys defense will be strong again if not improved if Wiley can regain his form from a couple years ago.

2- The Giants have many holes, and basically starting from scratch but Coughlin's history (Jax, Boston College) to build something from nothing in a short period of time could have the Giants playing into a level of playoff killer, by the second half of the season.

1- The Redskins should be more fundamentally sound on both offense & defense this season. The Redskin have talent & speed and now coaching needed to be a top team. The question is how long will it take for it all to come together. If the Skins start playing as a team early... watch out

I can honestly say.... Andy Reid will be sleeping a lot less this season than in years past. :twitch:

Guest Westbrook36

Go fishing much? fishing.gif

I'd go over my top ten reasons why the Redskins will disappoint, yet again, but I don't think I could just narrow it down to ten reasons.

Bubba, get yourself in a twelve step program, quickly. Ever day that passes only reinforces my assertions that you simply have a "hard on" for the iggles. This begs the question, why? Can't stand the fact that they HAVE a great team? I think you've circled the globe of excuses several times only to find that they DO have a great club and WILL continue to have double-digit wins for the next several years. Most of the core talent is locked down and their cap managemant has them under from 15 to 20 million for the next three years. And remember, with the new television contracts coming up, that number will only swell.

Face it, teams don't stay lucky for three straight years. The birds have dealt with major losses the last two seasons and still produced very well. Imagine if they actually DID get LUCKY this season and didn't have to deal with losing almost half of their starters for considerable time. The birds will field the best team in the NFC EAST. That's a fact . Your statistics prove it.

If we went back over the last three seasons of Extremeskins "Top ten reasons why the skins will be in the playoffs". Get the picture? The Skins HOPE to succed. The Eagles CONTINUE to do so. Doing your best Clayton stats guy impersonation won't change that. Cohesion, time and great leadership will. Gibbs and company will be your best shot for this. The division is obviously getting better but where does that factor in to the ultimate success of a team? Division games are always hard fought and tough to automatically, "decide". You rise to the level of your competition as well as falling when playing the inferior. It's always been that way. The fact that the division gets better means everyone elevates their play, even those stinking Cardinals gave everyone fits.

Back to the point. Theres nothing wrong with "feeling the rivalry". It is however, a bit ridiculous to think that a "weak" division was the only reason the Eagles have won the last three in the NFC East. You're splitting hairs on that issue. I could then say, if Cunningham had not gone down in the first week of the 91' season, the Eagles would have won the superbowl. Remember, the season before he was the MVP of the NFL and accounted for 78% of the offense. They subsequently went 10-6 and MISSED the playoffs. All that with a carpenter at QB. So by your logic, the Skins won the SB because of the the absence of Randall. I would never say that because I choose NOT to split hairs and get into the "I know you are but what am I" arguments.

The Eagles cannot stop the run, and the Cowboys and Redskins have both upgraded at running back this year

TODD, back that up my friend. The Iggles lost Burgess and Green before the start of the regular season. That's the starting DE and the backup. Hollis Thomas, Grasmais ands Mcdougle missed the majority of the season. The birds had FIVE D lineman missing for the majority of the regular season. You didn't even factor in the loss of Dawkins for ten games. I wont even mention TV and BT since they're gone now.

7- Philly Fans... OK they don't play, but the pressure to win is at an all time high after 3 straight NFC Championship losses. If the Eagles stumble early.... The players won't be able to get away from the fans anger/ media barrage, etc.. and it will play on them mentally

Now this is just asinine. The media and the fans crap is so tired and overused. I f anything, it pushes players to produce when they are SUPPOSED to do so. I can't tell you how many thread I've read on here SCREAMING for fans to be this way. I guess the proper approach should be the wine and cheese lathargic plasma screen watchers in the club levels? Players want to play for the Eagles for many reasons, fans being one of them. You see, as a player, you want to succeed. You want to win. When you win, the fans love you, they follow you to your away games and make the oppostions home crowd look like a joke (see the anual invasion of Eagle fans at Fedex). If you are a player worried about what the "fans and media think", you've already lost.

8- Terrel Owens. He may have exceptional receiving skills, and big play capabilities, but will it be enough to offset the team distraction, and possible locker room division that seems to be his calling card. He is a drama queen, and wants the spotlight on himself. He has already starting public complaining.. though he later tried to shrug it off. Will McNabb try to force the ball to TO (ala TO Ratio).. just to keep him happy?

Complaining about what? Not getting enough passes in the first day of minicamp? Please, he simply stated he wanted more balls to get his timing down with Donovan. The next day he was granted his wish. May I suggest a job with the New York Times? I'm sure you got all wet over the "tights" issue too?

5- Teams can run on the Eagles (they were #22 last season against the run) With the Cowboys OL, a much improved Redskin OL schemes, plus adding a break away big play back in Portis, and a Giants' team whose coach believes in a big strong OL and big running game... it will be a great deal more challenging this season that last

I've already addressed this above. Keep harping on that #22 defensive stat. Half the starters were injured for most of the season. Add Kearse and the FIVE D lineman the Eagles didn't have last season and I think you have one hell of a line there. Remember who Jim Johnson said he couldn't live without on his D? One player and one alone, Dawkins. He is the player that allows JJ to do whatever he wants.

9- Loss of Taylor and Vincent. The Eagles gave up top talent, and veteran experience/ leadership in the defensive backfield. The young CB's may be top talent in time, but even with some playing time last season, it is still a huge jump with out the Pro Bowl talent backing them up/ helping them.

Agreed. This is a big "IF". They played average last season. We shall see.

10- Rookie Guard Shawn Andrews inserted in the starting line up. Even the best of OL talent struggles during his first season starting in the NFL, as well disrupt the chemistry established by a decent OL the past couple seasons. Mental mistakes, and getting beat by top DL, will hurt the Eagles at key moment several times this season, while he learns.

Sure, hes a rookie. He'll make his mistakes. He's also been hailed as the best runblocker, trap blocker to come out of college in ten years(Kiper). Rookies make mistakes for sure. You'll see your share with Sean Taylor. That doesn't mean he wont be a pivitol player.

6- Many believe the Eagles took a step backward at LB this season

Losing the defensive MVP for the Eagles will have an impact. Can Dhani Jones fill those shoes? He'll do enough so long as the D-line doesnt fall victim to the injury bug. I wish Emmons well. he's getting old and having problems staying healthy. I don't like Simonwho (the nickname we birds fans use for him) is ever going to fit the traditional role of a MLB. he's not being used for that. Speed is what JJ wanted. When the line suffured the injuries he was exposed.

4- Can the Eagles maintain a solid rushing attack with the loss of Staley. He was not only a key member in the run game, but also was possibly the best screen pass receiver in the NFC East last season. He was McNabbs safety outlet. He was also the big back and kept the smaller Westbrook to be used less (picking his spot to be most effective) and reduced the risk of injury or wearing him down. The Eagles have no replacement for his departure.

Te Eagles best back was Westbrook. Buckhaleter was used as the third down guy. Westbrook has great hands and is just as effective as Staley out of the backfield, minus the experience. Buckhalters role will definitely increase. There were games where that kid didn't even get a carry. That will change. I believe that old Eddie George has been in the rumor mill. he was with McNabb yesterday at DM's charity function for childood diabetes. Personally, I love the Westbrook, Buckhalter combonation. It's thin so I'm sure Reid will add someone to the ranks soon.

3- The Cowboys are in year two of Parcells, players are more experienced and they added a faster RB in Jones over Hambrick. Jason Witten will be a bigger threat this season especially with the addition of Meshawn. The Cowboys defense will be strong again if not improved if Wiley can regain his form from a couple years ago.

And who's their QB? Maybe Vinny can get them over the hump. Yeah they're getting better but the assumption the Eagles are slipping is only wishful thinking on your part.

2- The Giants have many holes, and basically starting from scratch but Coughlin's history (Jax, Boston College) to build something from nothing in a short period of time could have the Giants playing into a level of playoff killer, by the second half of the season.

I'm sure the entire league is running scared at the notion of how good the Giants will be playing by the second half of the season. Warner isn't worth the league minimum and won't start. Eli is several years away from becoming an NFL QB that plays smart. QB's always travel the long road before helping the on a consistant basis. Wholesale changes equal early success, right? Good thing I didn't listen to that before. Your premise will be tested again this season, Bubba.

1- The Redskins should be more fundamentally sound on both offense & defense this season. The Redskin have talent & speed and now coaching needed to be a top team. The question is how long will it take for it all to come together. If the Skins start playing as a team early... watch out

I can honestly say.... Andy Reid will be sleeping a lot less this season than in years past.

As I stated above, the better the competition the better you play. Going into these divisional matchups brings out the best in every player. So what decides the overall victor? Talent, cohesion, experience, deire, coaching and the intangibles. The strengthening of a division does not diminish the talent of a team. Those are mutually exclusive events.

The number one reason why the Eagles should win the divisuion is cohesion. yes theres talent there, alot of it but these players have been in this system for years. The blue chip players that were added will immediately contribute. The Eagles have a very deep team in the majority of positions, especially the lines and thats where it all starts.

"If randal wouldnt have gotten hurt in 91 we would have won the super bowl"......F*ckin Eagles fans down here say the same thing. What ifs are what they live on cause all philly teams choke no matter how good they think they are...... Why dont you bring up the strike years too phanatic. Look ur point is well proven but all this will be settled on the field. You just have to wonder how many chances do u get to make it to the show before the rest of the field passes you by.....

Originally posted by LaVarPA

My top ten looks like this:

1. Joe Gibbs

2. Gregg Williams

3. Clinton Porter

4. Joe Bugel

5. Joe Gibbs

6. Joe Gibbs

7. Joe Gibbs

8. Joe Gibbs

9. Joe Gibbs

10. Did I say "Joe Gibbs"?

:eaglesuck

Number 3 scares me the most, the feared Clinton Porter. He works concessions at the stadium, right?

;)

If Donovan would just stop thinking the grass was a reciever they might have a chance.

They only have one reciever, and yes T.O. is talented but if Donovan just realizes that he needs to throw the ball in the air he might get it to him.

Donovan will become an "Aikman" casualty by Lavar.

Let's see how healthy Kearse will be this year. And their secondary is hurting. They have been stripped of their team leaders.

They don't have Gibbs caliber coach who has taken a team to win the super bowl three times.

Sorry Feagles, your days are numbered after this season.

Guest Westbrook36

I'll say this. A stronger NFC East is a strength for whoever makes the playoffs. Like the old days when NFC East teams won 1/2 the Superbowls because they were so battle tested during the season that the Playoffs wasn't too far a step up.

The AFC East has been like that lately and look how the Superbowl has played out recently.

Originally posted by phanatic

Bubba, get yourself in a twelve step program, quickly. Ever day that passes only reinforces my assertions that you simply have a "hard on" for the iggles. This begs the question, why? Can't stand the fact that they HAVE a great team? I think you've circled the globe of excuses several times only to find that they DO have a great club and WILL continue to have double-digit wins for the next several years. Most of the core talent is locked down and their cap management has them under from 15 to 20 million for the next three years. And remember, with the new television contracts coming up, that number will only swell.

Face it, teams don't stay lucky for three straight years. The birds have dealt with major losses the last two seasons and still produced very well. Imagine if they actually DID get LUCKY this season and didn't have to deal with losing almost half of their starters for considerable time. The birds will field the best team in the NFC EAST. That's a fact . Your statistics prove it.

:doh: more rhetoric

Why should we even play any games and just crown the Eagles the champs! :laugh:

If we went back over the last three seasons of Extremeskins "Top ten reasons why the skins will be in the playoffs". Get the picture? The Skins HOPE to succeed. The Eagles CONTINUE to do so. Doing your best Clayton stats guy impersonation won't change that. Cohesion, time and great leadership will. Gibbs and company will be your best shot for this. The division is obviously getting better but where does that factor in to the ultimate success of a team? Division games are always hard fought and tough to automatically, "decide". You rise to the level of your competition as well as falling when playing the inferior. It's always been that way. The fact that the division gets better means everyone elevates their play, even those stinking Cardinals gave everyone fits.

my my my you do go on and on.... so much hostility... could be masking a little fear?

Back to the point. Theres nothing wrong with "feeling the rivalry". It is however, a bit ridiculous to think that a "weak" division was the only reason the Eagles have won the last three in the NFC East. You're splitting hairs on that issue. I could then say, if Cunningham had not gone down in the first week of the 91' season, the Eagles would have won the super bowl. Remember, the season before he was the MVP of the NFL and accounted for 78% of the offense. They subsequently went 10-6 and MISSED the playoffs. All that with a carpenter at QB. So by your logic, the Skins won the SB because of the the absence of Randall. I would never say that because I choose NOT to split hairs and get into the "I know you are but what am I" arguments.

you have lost me here....it is obvious you missed my whole point of possible Eagle concerns that could cause them to falter on the road to the NFC East. Not only improvements by the other three teams, but problems on there own teams. Only people who live in fantasy land can ignore the fact in todays NFL a team can change fortunes in one season, good and bad. Look at Tampa & Oakland the next year after the Super Bowl they both missed the playoffs with basically the same team.....look how Carolina improved in one season to dethrone the Bucs. Look at NE they went 8-8 between Super bowl runs.... Common sense alone dictates that no one is guaranteed victory in the NFL

Now this is just asinine. The media and the fans crap is so tired and overused. I f anything, it pushes players to produce when they are SUPPOSED to do so. I can't tell you how many thread I've read on here SCREAMING for fans to be this way. I guess the proper approach should be the wine and cheese lathargic plasma screen watchers in the club levels? Players want to play for the Eagles for many reasons, fans being one of them. You see, as a player, you want to succeed. You want to win. When you win, the fans love you, they follow you to your away games and make the oppositions home crowd look like a joke (see the annual invasion of Eagle fans at Fedex). If you are a player worried about what the "fans and media think", you've already lost.

keep believing that. McNabb isn't mentally tough and allows things in the media to get to him... it has been proven over and over again. He starts pressing and he stinks up the joint. Anyone who follows sports and ignores the pressure created by the fans & media causing teams to question themselves or press to hard to impress... doesn't pay attention.

Self doubt happens to many players & coaches all the time, especially during slumps

Complaining about what? Not getting enough passes in the first day of minicamp? Please, he simply stated he wanted more balls to get his timing down with Donovan. The next day he was granted his wish. May I suggest a job with the New York Times? I'm sure you got all wet over the "tights" issue too?

Already ****ing in MINICAMP about not getting enough balls (insert joke) for a guy with his history of whinning... not a good sign. I got that little tidbit from the Philly press... but hey why should anyone worry about Mr Harmony TO right?? :laugh:

I've already addressed this above. Keep harping on that #22 defensive stat. Half the starters were injured for most of the season. Add Kearse and the FIVE D lineman the Eagles didn't have last season and I think you have one hell of a line there. Remember who Jim Johnson said he couldn't live without on his D? One player and one alone, Dawkins. He is the player that allows JJ to do whatever he wants.

Agreed. This is a big "IF". They played average last season. We shall see.

I will move on

Sure, hes a rookie. He'll make his mistakes. He's also been hailed as the best runblocker, trap blocker to come out of college in ten years(Kiper). Rookies make mistakes for sure. You'll see your share with Sean Taylor. That doesn't mean he wont be a pivitol player.

ever hear of Tony Manarich?

If you watched the Skin Eagles game in Philly, you may remember Derrick Dockery a rookie guard thrown into the starting line up gave up 2 sacks that lead to two TD's for the Eagles. The Skins lost by 2 pts. He made several mistakes early that cost the Skins points, killed drives etc.... He improved but the mistake still hurt. It is common fact that a rookie getting his first taste of the NFL is overwhelmed and makes mistake. Add in the fact he is playing a different position.... again common sense. One mistake can cost a team a victory in a close ball game...

Losing the defensive MVP for the Eagles will have an impact. Can Dhani Jones fill those shoes? He'll do enough so long as the D-line doesnt fall victim to the injury bug. I wish Emmons well. he's getting old and having problems staying healthy. I don't like Simonwho (the nickname we birds fans use for him) is ever going to fit the traditional role of a MLB. he's not being used for that. Speed is what JJ wanted. When the line suffured the injuries he was exposed.

we shall see

Te Eagles best back was Westbrook. Buckhaleter was used as the third down guy. Westbrook has great hands and is just as effective as Staley out of the backfield, minus the experience. Buckhalters role will definitely increase. There were games where that kid didn't even get a carry. That will change. I believe that old Eddie George has been in the rumor mill. he was with McNabb yesterday at DM's charity function for childood diabetes. Personally, I love the Westbrook, Buckhalter combonation. It's thin so I'm sure Reid will add someone to the ranks soon.

Until a viable replacement is signed it is a legitimate concern. If for no other reason than Injury, the Skins RB situation last season proves that.

And who's their QB? Maybe Vinny can get them over the hump. Yeah they're getting better but the assumption the Eagles are slipping is only wishful thinking on your part.

The Eagles have slipped in some areas as most successful teams do after a few years due to FA. Even if the Eagles do not get worse the Cowboys have improved in some areas and They split victories last season...

I'm sure the entire league is running scared at the notion of how good the Giants will be playing by the second half of the season. Warner isn't worth the league minimum and won't start. Eli is several years away from becoming an NFL QB that plays smart. QB's always travel the long road before helping the on a consistent basis. Wholesale changes equal early success, right? Good thing I didn't listen to that before. Your premise will be tested again this season, Bubba.

ever hear of the tortoise & the hare? No one said the Giants will be contenders next season, but could be a spoiler by pulling and upset or two. Happens every year, when one team over looks a foe.

As I stated above, the better the competition the better you play. Going into these divisional matchups brings out the best in every player. So what decides the overall victor? Talent, cohesion, experience, deire, coaching and the intangibles. The strengthening of a division does not diminish the talent of a team. Those are mutually exclusive events.

to stubbornly ignore the fact that the NFC east teams have improved is silly. The Skins where injury plagued, and had a blocking scheme that played into Philly's hand last season... yet they almost pull an upset out in Philadelphia last season. The Skins made some serious improvements in coaching, OL blocking schemes, the Running game. They added a veteran QB whose experience will help the QB position no matter which QB plays. The defense made several improvements (and a couple losses) but differently improved the coaching and strategy. Williams has built solid top rated defenses quickly in both Tenn. & Buffalo. Lets not forget the Skins D before last season was pretty good.

The number one reason why the Eagles should win the division is cohesion. yes theres talent there, alot of it but these players have been in this system for years. The blue chip players that were added will immediately contribute. The Eagles have a very deep team in the majority of positions, especially the lines and thats where it all starts.

I gave 10 logically and probably reasons the Eagles may stumble and lose a few extra games this season. Anyone with common sense would agree nothing is given. All teams start the season 0-0 and last year doesn't mean Jack squat to this year. You talk of cohesion, yet the Eagles lost several team leaders from last year, and added two players, one has a long history of diving a locker room.... That alone would worry me, no matter what the teams record was last season

Just remember this thread at the end of next season, and see if any of my concerns held true

Guest Westbrook36
Originally posted by bubba9497

keep believing that. McNabb isn't mentally tough and allows things in the media to get to him... it has been proven over and over again. He starts pressing and he stinks up the joint. Anyone who follows sports and ignores the pressure created by the fans & media causing teams to question themselves or press to hard to impress... doesn't pay attention.

Self doubt happens to many players & coaches all the time, especially during slumps

Yeah, he really self-destructed after that 0-2 start and the Rush Limbaugh comments last year. :laugh:

Archived