Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I don't get it. What did the Jaguars actually accomplish here?

Jaguars | Brackens' Savings No Longer a Savings - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:54:32 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Jacksonville Jaguars release of DE Tony Brackens earlier this year gave them a $7.051 million hit of "dead money" on their salary cap this season and saved the team about $2.2 million. However, they lost virtually all of that by re-signing Brackens to a one-year deal, as his new cap charge is $2.029 million. So, even though he's still on roster at a much cheaper price than his original $9.261 million cap hit, he still counts $9.08 million against the cap, with the majority coming in the form of "dead money". He's also set to receive $398,438 in a roster bonus, a $5,600 workout bonus and there are $300,000 in likely earned incentives.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Jaguars | Brackens' Savings No Longer a Savings - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:54:32 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Jacksonville Jaguars release of DE Tony Brackens earlier this year gave them a $7.051 million hit of "dead money" on their salary cap this season and saved the team about $2.2 million. However, they lost virtually all of that by re-signing Brackens to a one-year deal, as his new cap charge is $2.029 million. So, even though he's still on roster at a much cheaper price than his original $9.261 million cap hit, he still counts $9.08 million against the cap, with the majority coming in the form of "dead money". He's also set to receive $398,438 in a roster bonus, a $5,600 workout bonus and there are $300,000 in likely earned incentives.

I guess they felt better that 2 mil was going is his pocket rather than 9mil.

Guest Westbrook36

Cap charge isn't actual money.

They put the money in their pockets rather than his. Granted, they lost that cap space but what do they care? They are greedy owners.

The Jags were actually very intelligent. They have the cap space to take the cap hit this year rather than put the bill off to next year. Also, they didn't pocket money. The 7 mil hit was monies already paid to Brackens. They get Brakens for the same price this season and reduced next year, with no prorated bonus waiting if he is gone after next season. You don't carry over cap space, so why not get it out of the way and free up the room to make moves next season.

As the gentleman from way up north just said it was a pretty smart move. If they had never cut him they would have a 9M cap hit this year and still be on the hook for probably about 5M of future proration. This way they still have Brackens and return the DL that led their D and was I think tops against the run and clear future cap space that can be used to sign new FA's or extend players like Stroud Henderson and Leftwich. In addition if Brackens has a big year and signs elsewhere next year at big numbers they are in line to receive a compensatory pick for a player who left as a FA as opposed to a player who was cut.

I can understand how a MB for the Skins would have trouble seeing the logic to a move that in essence takes a hit now so that the future may be brighter but this seems to be the trend in the NFL more and more. I think a lot of teams now are doing a better job retaining their own talent so the players that reach FA are usually suspect and fewer teams are falling into that Snyder trap where players become more attractive simply because they are available and you overpay them simply to end up recycling them a year or two later. The right player isn't always out there so more teams are investing in their own or simply waiting rather than investing in the wrong player who looks better because he can be had[see Springs Griffin and Daniels.]

One thing I would disagree with said by the Alaska poster is you can move unused cap space from one year to the next and many teams do. The Eagles have done it 3 years in a row and last year the Vikes set the record by moving 10M of unused 03 cap space to 04. It's not as simple as just declaring we want to forward this space and uses an incentive scam invented by the Eagles Joe Banner but it most certainly is done.

Originally posted by jaxskins

lol "Front Office Morons"

Actually Jags FO Rocks. Just look at the MB deal, enough said.

Tony had a contract left over from the Morons that were in control before the Jags new FO came into the scene. TC's back loaded contracts was what brought us into cap hell, and getting them off the books is how the new FO is getting out of it. The move by the FO saved the Jags about 5-10 Million. Can't remember exactly how much Tony was in the books for to be honest.

This is the season Tony is going to have to prove that he has overcome his knee issues.If Tony comes out and proves to be in great shape this season you can pretty much look for him to retire as a Jag with a 2-3 incentive based contract not to mention a healthy bonus.

Originally posted by Jagsbch

Actually Jags FO Rocks. Just look at the MB deal, enough said.

Tony had a contract left over from the Morons that were in control before the Jags new FO came into the scene. TC's back loaded contracts was what brought us into cap hell, and getting them off the books is how the new FO is getting out of it. The move by the FO saved the Jags about 5-10 Million. Can't remember exactly how much Tony was in the books for to be honest.

This is the season Tony is going to have to prove that he has overcome his knee issues.If Tony comes out and proves to be in great shape this season you can pretty much look for him to retire as a Jag with a 2-3 incentive based contract not to mention a healthy bonus.

Still seems strange... is there a better breakdown of the two contracts somewhere that might help explain this odd, odd move?

Originally posted by Sebowski

What I don't understand is what the Redskins or Mark Brunell gained bymaking the trade instead of waiting until June 1st.

Brunell wouldn't have been cut June 1st if we hadn't traded for him, he would have been gone in MArch due to his roster bonus.

Originally posted by Sebowski

What I don't understand is what the Redskins or Mark Brunell gained bymaking the trade instead of waiting until June 1st.

Because if we didn't, he would be a Dallas Cowboy.

Yes, this is a wise move. The Jags were going to have to eat that cap hit sooner or later. They managed to get rid of his entire cap hit this year and get Brackens employed this year, a much better position than they would have been in otherwise.

$181,629

Thats how much the Jags saved this season, after clearing Brackens old PHAT contract "from the future books". I asked Jags02 our resident capologist how much we saved this season...

Jags02

Hey Bch,...

There's an interesting result to this question...

His prior contract before being released has him earning a $5.5 mil salary with a total cap hit, including that $2.25 mil in incentives earned working out to $11,511,667.

Since his current total cap hit is $11,330,038, this means that the Jaguars saved precisely $181,629. While that's not much, the big news is that he's no longer counting millions in every year for the next several years along with having huge salaries in each of those years. So we saved a few pennies this year while wiping him out of the future books.

I'll try to breakdown everything for Brackens.

After the season Brackens was paid $2.25 mil for "Not Likely To Be Earned" incentives that he earned in 2003. Then when they released him, all of his amortization forwarded, which was another $7.051 mil. Together, that's $9.301 mil that was counting anways.

His new deal adds another $1.025 mil in base salary, $704,038 in total bonus money (over half due I'm thinking on September 6), and another $300,000 in "Likely To Be Earned" incentives for 2004. I also think he has more "Not Likely" incentives that will count in '05 if he earns them. Altogether this is $2,029,038 more than his prior total cap hit.

So here's the breakdown of his entire cap hit...

$7,051,000 - dead money from release

$2,250,000 - '03 NLTBE incentives earned

$1,025,000 - new base salary

$300,000 - signing bonus

$398,438 - roster bonus

$5,600 - workout bonus

$300,000 - '04 LBTE incentives

$11,330,038 - TOTAL CAP HIT

plus he can earn more incentives to count in '05

In this latest deal he only signed for one year, but before being released his future base salaries were $6.05 mil in 2005 and $2.75 mil in 2006. Also note that his old contract totalling over $11.5 mil included a $1 mil roster bonus due this past March 1 that was never paid.

Originally posted by Pocono

As the gentleman from way up north just said it was a pretty smart move. If they had never cut him they would have a 9M cap hit this year and still be on the hook for probably about 5M of future proration. This way they still have Brackens and return the DL that led their D and was I think tops against the run and clear future cap space that can be used to sign new FA's or extend players like Stroud Henderson and Leftwich. In addition if Brackens has a big year and signs elsewhere next year at big numbers they are in line to receive a compensatory pick for a player who left as a FA as opposed to a player who was cut.

I can understand how a MB for the Skins would have trouble seeing the logic to a move that in essence takes a hit now so that the future may be brighter but this seems to be the trend in the NFL more and more. I think a lot of teams now are doing a better job retaining their own talent so the players that reach FA are usually suspect and fewer teams are falling into that Snyder trap where players become more attractive simply because they are available and you overpay them simply to end up recycling them a year or two later. The right player isn't always out there so more teams are investing in their own or simply waiting rather than investing in the wrong player who looks better because he can be had[see Springs Griffin and Daniels.]

I agree with you that this move is smart from a long-term perspective. And I also agree that teams are doing a better job of salary cap management so that players released are second rate more often than not. But please don't pretend that the Eagles are any better than the Redskins, they've signed some of these players too (e.g. Antonio Freeman) that have not panned out as well as they would have hoped. In fact Bubba posted an article that the Eagles may still pick up one of these players (so I guess the Eagles aren't immune from the recycling bug):

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62755

Archived