Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What should we expect from the 3rd Mini-Camp this weekend?

New article on Redskins.com that I'm sure Bubba will post soon....or anybody else who cares.

anyways......what should we expect from certain people?

me? personally?

I think Ramsey is going to have a much better camp than last time. Good enough that people here will think he'll take the job this summer. I think he'll pull near even with Brunell.

I also believe the Shawn Springs will be a highlight of this camp. He'll be healthy (unless he's already hurt) and he'll impress people.

other players who will look good.

The Rock, Iffy, Marcus Washington and Sellers

anybody else?

For 3rd Mini-Camp, Redskins All Business

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

June 1, 2004

With the 2004 offseason now in the latter stages, the Redskins are set to host their third and final mini-camp June 4-6 at Redskins Park. For players, it'll be all business, as they begin to focus more on assignments, understanding play calls and winning starting jobs.

The mini-camp is expected to be similar to the OTA (organized team activity) practice sessions the team has hosted the last few weeks. For example, there'll be afternoon practice sessions, workouts and positional meetings, except that they'll be crammed into three days.

Note: The mini-camp is closed to the public, but you can follow all of the action on Redskins.com. Be sure to check in throughout the weekend for news, quotes, audio and photo galleries.

For head coach Joe Gibbs and the coaching staff, it will be their last opportunity to evaluate the entire team on the practice fields prior to training camp.

"We'll just have to see as we go how good we're going to be," Gibbs said. "But we have willing workers, which I think is very important."

Among the top storylines to watch this weekend:

Mark Brunell & Patrick Ramsey

With Ramsey's foot back at 100 percent, the competition for the starting quarterback job should start to take shape this weekend. Of course, the real competition won't start until training camp and the pre-season games. For now, the focus could be on the little things, like understanding the play calls and developing rapport with the receivers.

Brunell, Ramsey and Tim Hasselbeck were each challenged in the previous mini-camps when defensive coaches occasionally sent pressure during 9-on-11 drills. Expect more of the same this weekend.

When Gibran Hamdan returns from NFL Europe in mid-June, there could be another QB battle between him and Hasselbeck.

The Rookies

How much have draft picks Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley, Mark Wilson and Jim Molinaro progressed in a couple weeks? Since the end of the last mini-camp, the rookies returned to Redskins Park in mid-May (as required under NFL rules) and have been immersed in the playbook ever since.

In particular, the development of Taylor and Cooley is key because both could be counted on in their rookie seasons.

This mini-camp will also be the first real opportunity for some of the undrafted rookies to make a solid impression on coaches. Defensive tackles Ryan Boschetti and Norman Heuer, cornerbacks Garnell Wilds and Rufus Brown, safety Dennard Wilson and wide receivers John Standeford, Jonathan Brewer and Jafar Williams are among that group.

Tight Ends

As the roster now stands, it's a crowded field among tight ends and H-backs. Who will emerge?

Walter Rasby, Brian Kozlowski, Cooley, Robert Royal and Leonard Stephens are all listed as tight ends on the roster. (Stephens is returning from a stint in NFL Europe.) Mike Sellers, who is listed as fullback, also could be in the mix, likely as an H-back.

Rasby and Kozlowski are the veterans of the bunch-each has more than 10 years of NFL experience-so it stands to reason they would have the inside track for a starting job. But this is a position that could be one of the more intriguing to watch as training camp approaches.

Third/Fourth Wide Receivers

Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner are expected to return as starters, but there could be a competition emerging at the backup slots among Darnerien McCants, James Thrash and Taylor Jacobs.

James Thrash made his debut with the '04 Redskins at last month's mini-camp. (Photo by Mitchell Layton)

McCants recently signed a contract extension and his size and speed make him particularly effective in the red zone.

Thrash2.jpg

Thrash returned to Washington after three years as a starter with the Philadelphia Eagles.

And Jacobs is a former second-round draft pick who hopes to rebound after an injury-plagued rookie season.

The Redskins have kept six wide receivers on the roster each of the last two seasons. If Gibbs decides to go that route again, Scott Cloman and Cliff Russell would likely compete for that job. But don't be surprised if an undrafted free agent emerges as a competitor.

Pass Rushers

The Redskins' defense managed only 27 sacks last year and improving the defensive line was the first priority in free agency. The additions of Phillip Daniels and Cornelius Griffin added veteran experience to the line.

Gregg Williams could employ a series of linebacker and safety blitzes to help pressure opposing quarterbacks. But he knows that consistent pressure must come from the defensive line.

Daniels had nine sacks as recently as 2001. He'll team with Renaldo Wynn and Regan Upshaw as the Redskins' most experienced pass rushers. Youngsters Greg White, Ron Warner and Nic Clemons will also get a look.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1561

I figure we will weed out at least a couple TE's. Hopefully Ramsey is healthier than he has been and will really do some impressing.

Portis will have a new # picked out, Williams will get the D fired up and Gibbs will be that much closer to knowing who will stay and who will go.

I'd like to hear that the offense is starting to "gel" more. It seemed that reports out of minicamp version 2.0 were that the O looked erratic at points. All to be expected from a new system, of course. I'm just itching to see what Bugel can do with a better coached, more in-shape O line. :drool:

Another issue that I'd like some more clarity on is the status of Laverneus Coles' toe. It gets scattered press from time to time, but I don't have a handle on how it is progressing. Just wanna make sure we are firing on all pistons come August.:)

Originally posted by sbaugh

I want to see Ramsey do well and be healthy. Other than that I want to see the "Fear O' God" put into this team. I still think there are some guys who think they can skate.

:point2sky

They won't be around for long.

More hype for some young guy who doesn't have a lick of pro football production in his career. That's the beauty of minicamp. That's why I'm glued to the news during minicamp. Someone steps up, gets mentioned by the Coach, gets his name in the Post, and the hype machine begins. For some, such as James Thrash (1997/98) and Derrius Thompson (2000), it translates into fame and fortune. For others, such as Nigel Williams (1999?) and Scott Cloman (2003), it is... not so representative of success. But the hype, that's what I'm looking forward to.

I hope to see a more disciplined and better route running Gardner who has softer hands. I also hope to see the d-line suddenly doing better than expected, especially if we add some veteran depth somehow.

What should we expect from the 3rd Mini-Camp this weekend?

A picture of Rock. (Preferably with the ball.) :)

Edit: Just read, below, about him Mom's death. I suspect he won't be around for this mini-camp.

All I want to hear from this mini camp is that there are no injuries to report & that the team is gellin' (look at the Giants...listen to all that yellin'. They are so not gellin' :laugh: ) more & more. That's all I really care about. No injuries & gellin' happy people! :D

I would expect them to allow Blade to go to the mini camp and report back to us.;)

That article left out the vet TE from NE. Fred Baxter. It will be interesting to see how many H-Backs/Te's we keep on the roster. Te was a forgotten postion under Spurrier. Now it s going to be a high profile position and the battle for roster spots will be of epic proportions. The winds of change at redskin park are making us fans foam at the mouth like rabid dogs.

We have at least in most cases waited patiently over the last decade for our team to get there act together. Most of us just wanted our franchise to regain the respect of our peers and the national media. We wanted our team to be a competitive power year in and year out. A team that wouldn't beat it self week in and week out. Well we finally have been granted our wish.

This team will be better and the future will be glorious once again.

Thanks to Mr. Snyder we have our heroic leader back again. That smell is back in the air. The aroma is that of a winner and a champion. A sleeping giant has awoken in the east and it's name is the Washington Redskins.:cheers:

Originally posted by Tommy-the-Greek

I would expect them to allow Blade to go to the mini camp and report back to us.;)

Unfortunately for us fans, this third minicamp will be closed to the public and the press will only be allowed for the first 15 minutes. I fear there will be limited news coming out of camp as Joe begins his secretive ways to keep opposing teams in the dark as to what we're doing.

I would, however, at the end of camp like to hear a few words about who is and isn't performing well.

Originally posted by sbaugh

I want to see Ramsey do well and be healthy. Other than that I want to see the "Fear O' God" put into this team. I still think there are some guys who think they can skate.

:point2sky

If there are any players thinking they are gonna "skate" they will be in for a seriously rude awakening. Bank on that. Play time is over, its time for serious work. THANK GOD.

and let one cell phone go off in the meeting room. That player will be strung up so fast he wont know what the heck to do.

I'd like to see one of the DE kids, White/Warner/Clemons to show a little athletic ability and a knack for getting at the QB. All other positions will work themselves out, a DE with the fire to get to the QB would be a nice suprise out of the minicamp.

Archived