Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News: Attorney loses lawsuit over Super Bowl show

bubba9497

Attorney loses lawsuit over Super Bowl show

http://ultimate.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/articles/20040527/545265.html

Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction during the Super Bowl halftime show may be a lot of things, but it's apparently not worth $5,000.

A judge rejected a Utah lawyer's claim that CBS owner Viacom should pay him $5,000 for having to see Jackson's bared breast during the Feb. 1 show. Eric Stephenson, contending false advertising, sued Viacom in small-claims court.

Judge Jerald Jensen did not cite a reason in his ruling Wednesday. Stephenson has not decided if he will appeal.

Stephenson said he was led to believe this year's Super Bowl halftime show would be a family-oriented, patriotic celebration.

The father of three children, ages 2, 4 and 6, said pregame advertising and information in TV guides led him to believe he would see marching bands and balloons during the Feb. 1 program.

Instead, there were explicit song lyrics and a performance that ended with Jackson's bare breast. Justin Timberlake was part of the show and called the racy display a "wardrobe malfunction."

Viacom lawyer Jeff Hunt said Stephenson complained in the wrong venue. He should instead filed a federal lawsuit or voiced his concerns to the Federal Communications Commission, which is already investigating the halftime show, Hunt said.

"The real loser here is the consumer," Stephenson said. "Without a victory here it gives advertisers a license to lie and get away with it."

He said he was led to believe he would see marching bands and balloons. Well, I didn't see any marching bands, but I did see a half-inflated balloon! Though, admittedly, it wasn't the kind I wanted my kid to see either.

a Utah lawyer's claim that CBS owner Viacom should pay him $5,000 for having to see Jackson's bared breast during the Feb. 1 show. Eric Stephenson, contending false advertising, sued Viacom in small-claims court.

:rolleyes:

Her breast flashed for like a second of air time. If the media didn't make such a circus out of it most of the world wouldn't have even known about it.

Originally posted by Paydirt

He said he was led to believe he would see marching bands and balloons. Well, I didn't see any marching bands, but I did see a half-inflated balloon! Though, admittedly, it wasn't the kind I wanted my kid to see either.

Funny, I saw a fully inflated star studed boobloon. ;)

Originally posted by NavyDave

Havent they past that frivolous lawsuit bill yet?

I thought that was just for fat people that couldn't stop eating cheeseburgers and have no sense of self control? Is it supposed to be all encompassing because that'd be pretty damn broad.

Archived