ESPN INSIDER: Rumor Central -Veteran quarteback headed to New York

bubba9497

Veteran quarteback headed to New York

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/rumorcentral?sport=nfl

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Kurt Warner

Rams

Giants

May. 27 - With Warner's release from the Rams imminent, the veteran quarterback is likely headed to New York, the St. Louis Dispatch. He met May 11 with new Giants coach Tom Coughlin, a visit agent Mark Bartelstein described as terrific. The Giants also have examined Warner's medical records, scrutinizing the hand, thumb, finger and concussion problems he has had in the past, and pronounced him fit. It probably will be a short-team deal, freeing him to move on after a year or so when Eli Manning is deemed ready to take over.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Eddie George

Titans

Released

May. 27 - George has likely played his last game in a Titans uniform, the Tennessean reports. With the team still needing to create some salary cap space to sign 13 draft picks, the franchise's all-time leading rusher figures to be released June 1st. Earlier this year, the Titans asked George to take a pay cut to roughly half of his $4.25 million base salary for the 2004 season. George turned down the offer.

His agent, Lamont Smith, conceded Wednesday that the end of George's career with the team is probably near. ''But this is a good lesson for all the other players out there. If this will happen to Eddie George like this ?''

Kordell Stewart

Bears

Ravens

The Ravens have emerged as the favorite to land Stewart, the Baltimore Sun reports. Norv Turner's announcement that Rich Gannon will remain as the Raiders' starter means the Bucs will not be able to add Gannon, and will stick with Brad Johnson. Johnson, who has strong ties to Ravens coach Brian Billick since their days together in Minnesota, was considered the biggest obstacle in preventing Stewart from joining Baltimore.

Stewart's agent, Leigh Steinberg, said the former Pro Bowl quarterback is ready to embrace a backup role with the Ravens as well as be a positive influence on second-year starter Kyle Boller.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Damon Huard

Patriots

Chiefs?

May. 27 - Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil has said the team may be in the market for a third quarterback , the Kansas City Star reports. Veteran quarterback Damon Huard attended Wednesday's practice and could be added to the roster before training camp. Huard played in 38 games with six starts in five seasons with the Dolphins and Patriots.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Rich Gannon

Raiders

Bucs?

May. 26 - Bucs GM Bruce Allen tried to quell the latest rash of rumors linking Gannon to the team, the Tampa Bay Tribune reports. ``I'm not getting into all the speculation [regarding Gannon],'' Allen said. ``All I want to talk about is how excited we are about the guys we have and remind everybody that Brad is our starter.''

On Tuesday, Raiders coach Norv Turner declared that Gannon, who's scheduled to earn $7 million this season, remains the undisputed starter and that Collins agreed to join the team as a backup, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Tony Brackens

Jaguars

Jaguars

Saints?

Packers?

May. 26 - The Jaguars would like to sign would like to re-sign Brackens but are running low on patience with slow-moving contract talks, the Florida Times-Union reports. Jacksonville released their career sacks leader with the intention of bringing him back at a lower price. The veteran defensive end has attracted interest from New Orleans and Green Bay.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Dana Stubblefield

Raiders

Lions

May. 25 - Stubblefield is nearing an agreement with the Lions, the Detroit News reports. The 33-year-old, a three-time Pro Bowl selection while playing for the San Francisco 49ers, visited the Lions last week. He has been offered a one-year contract. Lions Coach Steve Mariucci was Stubblefield's coach in San Francisco from 1997-2002.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Stephen Alexander

Chargers

Lions

May. 25 - Lions President Matt Millen is interested in acquiring Alexander, the Detroit Free Press reports. The veteran tight end, who played four seasons at Washington and the last two with San Diego, runs well, catches the ball well and is an adequate blocker. Millen thinks he would fit well in Detroit's West Coast offense. .

Funny how life works ... my last real memory of Kurt Warner is of him stumbling around like a punch-drunk figher in his own end zone at Giants Stadium and fumbling a game away.

I have nothing against the guy and have rooted for him as the classic underdog made good, but I'll admit my instinct about him as a QB at this point is that he's well past the apex of his career ... maybe irretrievably so.

Still ... be kinda fun to watch what happens the first time the New York press gets Mrs. Warner to open her mouth in front of a microphone. :)

Talk to me, Tom---what's your gut on this guy coming to town at this point?

Only if we could afford him, I wouldn't mind Joe Gibbs bringing in Tony Brackens, but only if we could afford him. He's not bad against the run and he's a good pass rusher. However, if we don't I'll be happy still.

Hmm...

May. 25 - Stubblefield is nearing an agreement with the Lions, the Detroit News reports. The 33-year-old, a three-time Pro Bowl selection while playing for the San Francisco 49ers, visited the Lions last week. He has been offered a one-year contract. Lions Coach Steve Mariucci was Stubblefield's coach in San Francisco from 1997-2002.

Think someone at ESPN has been sleeping on the proofreading job.

Nick

Originally posted by ntotoro

Hmm...

Think someone at ESPN has been sleeping on the proofreading job.

Nick

We're ESPN we don't need to proof read, we're the world-wide leader in sports...we do what we want...

The Titans had 13 draft picks???? Wow, that's a lot.

I am all for Warner coming in and even starting this coming year. On one condition, that it is for a very reasonable price. No more than $2 millionish. It looks as if Manning will be the backup in the beginning of the year and possibly longer. This is a good thing. I'd like him to see the game from the sidelines first before he gets in there. Plus, it gives the Giants OLine another year to gel. I'm all for Warner as the Giants' 2004 QB.

Eddie George is a very good scoop with a couple of good years or so left, like Marcus Allen was to Kansas City back then. Its his contract numbers that make teams fade away from him, but if anyone would take a shot at him, it would have to be Dallas, Philly, or even, yes, NY.

Oh and Pittsburgh would even be a player, with NE, maybe showing some curiosity.

We aren't in that bad a shape at RB, but stranger things have happened.

Marriuci is very, very wise, as well as Matt Millen, on putting Stubby on a short lease.

Damn, the Lions already have Big Daddy. Now they are going after Stubblefield and Stephen Alexander?

What are the Lions trying to do... ressurect Norval Turner's underachieving Redskin teams? :)

Has anybody told them that is probably NOT a good idea. :)

Originally posted by SkinsGuy

Damn, the Lions already have Big Daddy. Now they are going after Stubblefield and Stephen Alexander?

What are the Lions trying to do... ressurect Norval Turner's underachieving Redskin teams? :)

Has anybody told them that is probably NOT a good idea. :)

Yeah, the Raiders out-bid Detroit for Terrell too.

Oh, and I hear that Deion is only a phone call away, as is Mark Carrier to re-join them.

Archived