Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo

FSS: Ex-Dolphins safety Marion charged with insurance fraud


Recommended Posts

Ex-Dolphins safety Marion charged with insurance fraud


Former Dolphins Pro Bowl safety Brock Marion is facing charges after police say he falsely reported a car stolen and bilked his insurance company out of more than $54,000.

Marion, who earned $810,000 with the Dolphins last season and signed a four-year contract with Detroit in March, was charged with filing a false insurance claim and grand theft.

According to police, Marion, 33, falsely reported his 2002 Chevrolet conversion van stolen on Feb. 11, 2003. Two months later, Marion collected two checks totaling $54,247.94 from State Farm Insurance Co., police said.

Through his attorney, Ed O'Donnell, Marion maintained his innocence.

"What does Brock need that for?" O'Donnell said. "He's not a football player that's in trouble financially. He's as stable as they come."

An 11-year veteran, Marion also played five seasons with the Cowboys, where he won two Super Bowls.

But he spent Tuesday morning with police.

After being processed at Plantation Police headquarters, Marion was taken to the Broward Sheriff's Office for booking. He was released on $8,500 bond, said Steve Geller, Plantation police spokesman.

If convicted of second-degree theft, Marion could face up to 15 years in prison. The other charge, insurance fraud in the third degree, carries a maximum sentence of five years.

Bruyn Clark, who according to police worked at Maroone Chevrolet and sold cars to many professional athletes, also was arrested Tuesday. He was charged with grand theft.

According to a police affidavit, Marion told police he left his van at Clark's house when the two went to Lefty's sports bar in Davie. When they returned, the van was missing, Marion told police.

But George Ellis, a cousin of Clark's, told police he transported the van to New York in December 2002 or January 2003. According to Ellis, all the electronics in the van (television, DVD player, stereo and VCR) were removed before the trip.

In March 2003, New York State Police recovered the van in Albany County, N.Y., along with more than 15 other vehicles, Geller said.

Police said pieces of Marion's car were found at three sites, including the home of John Wright, Clark's stepbrother.

Wright told police he knew the van belonged to Marion, according to the affidavit. Wright also told police he, his father Joey Clark and his stepbrothers Bruyn Clark and Clint Clark had been involved in stealing cars for money since the mid-1990s.

According to police, Marion wrote a $5,000 check to Bruyn Clark on April 30, 2003, which Clark cashed.

Earlier in the month, Bruyn Clark wired $1,100 to his father through Western Union, police said.

Marion provided his insurance company with two sets of keys for the van, police said. But neither set turned out to be a correct match, according to the affidavit.

After his arrest, Marion declined to speak to detectives, invoking his Miranda rights, Geller said.

The Plantation Police Department may make additional arrests in the case.

"We're still investigating to see if there are any additional suspects who sought the services of Mr. Clark," Geller said.

O'Donnell said his client won't make any public statements. "I won't allow Brock to talk," he said. "If he had his way, he'd get in front of a bunch of microphones and proclaim his innocence."

Brian Sumers can be reached at bsumers@sun-sentinel.com.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess its been a tough week for ex-Dolphin safetys!


Former Dolphin Atkins charged with fighting police during domestic dispute

By Vicky Agnew

Staff Writer

May 25, 2004

Former Miami Dolphins safety Gene Atkins was shot with a Taser stun gun and jailed late Sunday after fighting with police officers at his home during a domestic violence call, Pembroke Pines police said.

Atkins, 39, faces 20 criminal charges, including battery, false imprisonment, resisting arrest with violence and aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer. He remains in the Broward County jail, denied bail on at least one charge.

Atkins' wife, who requested that police not release her name or address, called 911 shortly before 10 p.m. after Atkins chased her into a bedroom. She told police Atkins hit her in the face, choked her, pushed her into a wall and tried to keep her from leaving the house, police said.

Officers arrived and called Atkins on the phone to question him about the 911 call. His wife ran outside, and one of the officers went to the door. The officer tried to arrest him, but he refused, saying he wasn't "going to jail tonight," police said.

Atkins then punched the officer in the neck and slammed the front door. Police took the keys from Atkins wife and went inside, where they found Atkins at the top of a stairway holding four knives. One of the officers shot Atkins with a Taser, but Atkins crawled down a hallway and fled into a bedroom, the report said.

When the officer kicked in the door, Atkins shoved him into a bathroom and then went to another bedroom. He barricaded himself for several hours before surrendering, police said.

"Domestic violence calls have always been one of the more dangerous calls that a police officer can respond to," Capt. Dave Golt said. "We don't really know what we're walking into. Tempers are usually flared."

In 2002, Atkins was acquitted of charges he hired people to firebomb his former business partner's home.

Atkins played safety for the Dolphins from 1994 to 1996. In 1994, he started 15 regular-season games. Atkins joined the Dolphins after playing seven seasons with the New Orleans Saints.

Staff Writer Pat Lammer contributed to this story.

Vicky Agnew can be reached at vagnew@sun-sentinel.com or 954-385-7922.

Copyright © 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...