Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News: Class of '05 stacked with left tackle prospects

bubba9497

Class of '05 stacked with left tackle prospects

http://ultimate.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft//voices/war_room/20040521.html

A quick look at the 2005 class of offensive tackles:

1. Jammal Brown, 6-5/308, Oklahoma. Shows great athleticism, technique and footwork. Is a tremendous pass blocker who also a road grater in the running game. Is almost a lock to be the first offensive tackle drafted.

2. Eric Winston, 6-6/310, Miami (Fla.). Is a junior. Is a tremendous run blocker with awesome power, speed and athleticism. Can dominate opponents. Is the reason Vernon Carey, the Dolphins' first-round pick in '04, was moved to guard in college.

3. Wesley Britt, 6-6/316, Alabama. Has outstanding size and long arms. Is an excellent pass blocker and powerful run blocker. Missed most of spring drills while recovering from a broken leg. Plays smart.

4. Michael Munoz, 6-5/312, Tennessee. Shows great power, agility, size, quickness and footwork. Is the son of NFL Hall of Fame offensive tackle Anthony Munoz. History of injuries could cause him to slip down the draft board.

55109.jpg

5. Alex Barron, 6-6/315, Florida State. Has exceptional size, strength and quickness. Is a great pass blocker with long arms. Has battled through injury problems, and a good senior season could move him up several spots on teams' draft boards.

6. Jami Hightower, 6-4/330, Texas A&M. Is a junior who is big, powerful, tough and durable. Is a great pass blocker with excellent footwork. Is the anchor of the line.

7. Rob Petitti, 6-5/328, Pitt. Is big, strong and athletic. Shows excellent footwork, and uses hands well to maintain separation from defenders. Is durable; has appeared in every game of college career.

8. Jonathan Scott, 6-7/301, Texas. Is a junior who is large and agile. Shows excellent footwork. Is durable; has started every game of his college career. Could move up boards with good season.

9. Winston Justice, 6-6/308, Southern Cal. Is big, strong, agile and talented. Has some off-field issues, which could hurt his NFL stock.

10. Calvin Armstrong, 6-8/325, Washington State. Has tremendous size, strength and agility. Shows good footwork in pass protection. Shows excellent leadership skills.

Originally posted by nfchamp1

Exactly why you draft Sean Taylor and don't trade down for Gallery.

Or up... ;)

I think Buge's new projects will work out well with the proper coaching (which they will have) in the event we ultimately lose Samuels. I think next year the 'Skins will focus on DL in the draft with their higher round picks. The talent pool looks a bit better than what we had this year.

Nick

Exactly why you draft Sean Taylor and don't trade down for Gallery. If Samuels does not renegotiate next year and the young guys in camp don't pan out there are options.

See, it didn't take long for the "we don't really need to put DL at the top draft priority next year" mantra to begin..... :laugh:

I think this, along with a solid to good year by Samuels in 04, will make negotiations much easier. Top notch prospects mean Samuels can be replaced if he's being unreasonable in his extention demands.

I believe Mark Wilson is going to be a heck of a player.... and Samuels could be released or traded if he shows his potential this year. Wilson is smart, has all the measurables, and was a four year starter at California... very durable and reliable.

Imagine Samuels having a great year but Wilson right behind him in terms of talent. His trade value would be huge. Of course, if he's reasonable in his extension demands than we've got at least four good OTs on the roster. Samuels/Wilson/Winey/Jansen.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Montilar

See, it didn't take long for the "we don't really need to put DL at the top draft priority next year" mantra to begin..... :laugh:

Sure, I'd like a Defensive Line Stud. However, if we don't have Samuels and we don't have anybody on the roster good enough to protect the QB at Left Tackle, you have to make a decision. You can't decide a year away that you will take a player at a particular positiion.:logo::2cents: :D

Originally posted by ntotoro

Or up... ;)

Thanks. :laugh:

I think Buge's new projects will work out well with the proper coaching (which they will have) in the event we ultimately lose Samuels. I think next year the 'Skins will focus on DL in the draft with their higher round picks. The talent pool looks a bit better than what we had this year.

Nick

I hope you are right.

Archived