Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coles vs. TO

Skins26

This was a little fight in another thread but I think we should elaborate on it since it could be a very interesting arguement.

So who's better Coles or TO???

I saw Coles, and not just b/c i'm a skins fan. If I were starting a team and needed a WR, I'd take Coles.

While TO has a good ability to run after the catch and score a lot of TD's, Coles also has that same YAC ability, he just doesnt score as many TD's as TO.

Coles definitly has better hands.

I'd say Coles runs better routes.

Coles is more focused.

TO is stronger, but Coles is no weak guy either.

TO lets him emotions get in the way and lets people get under his skin which makes him play worse, game that comes to mind is 49ers vs. Giants 1st game of NFL season in 02 I believe.

Most of all, Coles does his job, and then more, and thats the end of it. TO is a problem for his team on and off the field with his whining and distractions.

Coles is better. And younger!

I think the edge has to go to Owens. At least for now. Coles is dramatically ahead of Owens at a similar stage of development as an NFL player. Coles is faster and quicker and runs sharper routes. Coles has a chance to become a legitimately elite receiver rather than merely a very fine one. Owens has been an elite receiver and due to his body size, strength and good enough speed, he has potential to enter that tier again.

Until Coles has a monster year like Owens and follows it up with very good years, I'll give the edge to Owens until Owens clearly enters a more marked decline than what he's shown the last few years. Now, given that Owens has already played with a more accurate, better passing QB in San Francisco, it will be difficult to see him increasing his performance all that much. Coles just played in horrible, scattershot offense and had a fine season. He's got potential to improve if the offense merely performs like a typical Gibbs offense. Such improvement will probably put Coles ahead of Owens by the end of the year in terms of performance over the last couple of seasons. But, if Coles is bothered by that toe, we're going to be left feeling awfully disappointed that he can't have a massive breakout season next year.

Originally posted by dannyboy70

If the question is: "who's better?" I'd say Owens. If the question is: "who's better for your team?" than I'd have to say Coles.

That's the best way to some it up.

Originally posted by dannyboy70

If the question is: "who's better?" I'd say Owens. If the question is: "who's better for your team?" than I'd have to say Coles.

Ding Ding Ding.

That is the answer. :thumbsup:

Owens is a cancer. Nothing is sacred to this guy. Teamwork, mutual respect of one's teammates, he mocks Garcia's arm even now, even NOW, with both of them already on different teams. He will never win a superbowl. His character is worse than Moss, who has actually calmed down somewhat these past two years. He would never live up to the ideal of a Redskins ever. I would never start a team with this jerk as a WR.

Originally posted by helluvaskinsfan

yeah,owens is a showboat,not a team player.hecan only do so much by himself

I guess he threw the ball to himself when he broke the NFL record for catches in one game (20)?

This has been discussed in so many other threads already. Coles has always played in a vertical system. Conversely, T.O. has been in a WCO his whole career. Two different offenses with two different styles at receiver. There is NO better receiver for the WCO than T.O.! Now you wanna talk best in the league? A Philly native. Marvin Harrison.

Coles is and was in an offense that exploits his strenghts. Both great receivers but the nod has to go to T.O. Possesion guys are more important and when it comes to the jump ball, T.O. wins. The big body that wards off the defender and yet still has the speed and elusiveness to get downfield.

Owens gets it on ability and intangibles. It is quite possible though, that we have not seen the BEST of Coles yet. He was in a spurrier offense last year and still excelled. Lets see what Gibbs has in store for Coles on a playaction fake...DEEEEEEEEEP.

I'm sorry, but anyone who says Coles is better than Owens is just a ridiculous homer. While yes, Coles numbers for his first 4 years are at least arguably better than Owen's (Coles: 242 rec., 3906 yards, TO: 222 rec., 3307 yards), Owens had 30 TDs in his first 4 seasons to Coles' 13 TDs.

Owens is one of the best 4 WR's in the league--in the top tier with Moss, Harrison and Holt. Coles is one of the better receivers in the second tier.

Coles is clearly a better team guy, but anyone who thinks he is a better WR than Owens has his head in the sand.

I think ppl go waaaaaaaaay overboard with TO's character especially likening to a "cancer." I bet it's not as bad as the media or fans blows it up to be. It's just story to write about. I mean the 49ers were gonna lose whether TO was happy or not.

Coles is a good player but I'd take TO. No if and's or buts.

I think Owens is a complete nut...I think he is every bit the jackass he is made out to be. That being said, most CBs and WRs are completely insane. It goes with the territory.

Coles may be an exception because his past helped build some character...

Archived