Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bowen v. Ohalete

Yomar

Guest Spearfeather
Originally posted by Gamebreaker

I'd rather see Ohalete at SS, he's a better hitter and tackler. Besides Bowen's hit on Canidate, I've had yet to see him unload on ANYBODY that didn't wear burgundy and gold. That doesn't classify him as a bigtime hitter in my book.

You must have missed his near decapitation of Curtis Martin ( and TD saving deflection in the Jets game ) also his shot on the Philly running back at the goal line...

But i would like to see Iffy still be a backup. He has a knack for INT's late the game.

I think its more INT's or big plays at key points in games.

New Orleans right before the half to get us back into the game. This was in 02'

New England made a great diving pass breakup on 4th and 4 to stop the Pats from getting into FG range to win the game with hardly any time left.

Atlanta made a bit time INT and almost ran it back to get us back in that game.

He's made a few big plays against Dallas the past couple of years to really get us going, one a forced fumble on Bryant and we won that one, and another that pick off Glenn's knee.

I just dont know about Matt Bowen, he really reminds me of Matt Stevens. He overuns the play all the time. Doesnt break down, and his risks usually dont pay off.

Originally posted by Spearfeather

You must have missed his near decapitation of Curtis Martin ( and TD saving deflection in the Jets game ) also his shot on the Philly running back at the goal line...

i remember Bowen knockin' himself silly more than once last year.

Iffy makes mental mistakes, and is poor in pass coverage. Bowen has had more Int and fumble recoeveries than Iffy last year, had more pass play break ups, and some big hit, or TD saving tackles.

Bowen also has more speed. I like Iffy, but the truth is, Bowen is the better player, and it is 100% agreed by everyone when you read about the two or hear someone talk about it in interviews. Coaches, GM's, reporters etc...

Gotta go with Bowen.

1. Not to be racist, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone to say this but it would give us a white guy out there on defense. Who knows if Noble will make it back. Gotta have at least one white guy running around out there.

2. He makes more money

3. We gave up a draft pick to get him

4. His name is easier for Greg Gumbel et al to pronounce.

5. Oh yeah, he might be a better player

I think when you started this thread you assumed Taylor would be starting.

If I am not mistaking, there has been no official announcement regarding taylor's situation. I would assume there are no guarantees for the rookie until he proves himself to the coaching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor start with Bowen, but I also would understand throwing the rookie in there on 3rd and long to help him get used to the level of competition.

I figure Bowen and Iffy will start with Taylor getting playing time off the bench.

If I am not mistaking, there has been no official announcement regarding taylor's situation. I would assume there are no guarantees for the rookie until he proves himself to the coaching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor start with Bowen, but I also would understand throwing the rookie in there on 3rd and long to help him get used to the level of competition.

I figure Bowen and Iffy will start with Taylor getting playing time off the bench.

Uh, Taylor will start.

Thats like saying that Canidate and Betts will give Portis a run for his money at the starting RB position. Okay maybe not THAT extreme, but Taylor will start.

And from the way Iffy said it in the Post he said that Taylor will start and the others will fight for the other spot.

If its not given to Taylor then he'll earn it, and he'll show everyone why come Friday.

Yeah i'm really surprised that is really going in Bowen's favor also. They both definitely have some major downsides to them. But i Think Iffy should have the edge with his playmaking ability. With the addition of Springs and Taylor He will not get burned nearly as much. Bowen can't tackle for pop warner team at times. He really was made silly sometimes.

I would like to see Iffy start hopefully, he is younger and has more upside to him. Bowen is "labeled" a hard hitting safety but like in previous posts, I have yet to see him unload on anybody but Trung. But I would also rather the person starting be the better man in camp and preseason that will contribute to the team more, no matter how hard they hit or tackle.

It was Bowen last year and its still the same. Thats why he wasn't even questioned by any of the coaches. He was evaluated like all the rest - on film, because Williams and Gibbs knew some, but not most. Williams' team (Buffalo) played against them (Skins), but to appreciate a player for a whole season, you have to see the film.

Apparently they came away convinced that Bowen is SS, Taylor on weakside, Iffy for depth or even have three safeties in goal line, etc. and you have a unique combo.

Taylor has intentions of starting and like all the good ones, that is his first goal. I don't see the comparison taking long in Training Camp.

Why was Bowen EVER playing FS anyway? Most of the Bowen bashing is about his play off the line, and a few bad angles etc. He should never have been back there to start with. He played five years of SS in college, one with the Rams and two with GB. He comes to Washington as a SS, and starts training camp at SS with Terrel at FS. Halfway through August, Terrel is benched, Bowen takes FS and Iffy goes to SS. Why, or why no the other way with Iffy at FS and Bowen at SS. Lesser of two evils? Best we could do? Anyway, moving him up on the line will be much better.

I thought both players were out of position last season. Bowen plays better in traffic and can best use his speed closer to the line-of-scrimmage. Iffy, although slower, plays better in space and has better anticipation in coverage.

So I see Bowen starting, but Gregg Williams used a lot of packages with three safeties in Buffalo, so whoever doesn't start will still get plenty of playing time.

Originally posted by illone

That is just laughable:doh: This guy starts from day one and plays the next 10 years at FS without injuries. Just hearing this guy talk I know why they picked him.

He is so hungry. Seeing Taylor standing next to Lavar showed me everything I needed to see. Taylor is almost as big as Lavar with covering speed. Forget about it.

BTW Iffy is probably the most overated player on this site. He made 3 good interceptions last year on tipped balls. He will be a special team standout, and a limited package guy if he stays with us.

When judging Bowen, take a look at his body of work. I have officially thrown out almost everyone's year last year, and chalked it up to "The Old Ball Coach's" fault.

Bowen. Iffy didn't impress me, Bowen was playing out of position and Spurrier essentially neutered him in the pre-season. Practicing hard will once again be encouraged and I think Bowen will fit in perfectly at the SS spot and play with the ferocity he hit Trung with last year.

Archived