76 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Skins do?

• 12-4 or better
    • 11-5
    • 10-6
    • 9-7
    • 8-8
    • 7-9 or worse

Here’s the 2004 strength of schedule for each NFL team, based on the 2003 regular season wins and losses of their 2004 opponents. The data is sorted from the strongest 2004 schedule to the weakest. From this, it looks like the NFC East has the easiest schedule of any Division in the League, with Philly and Dallas leading the way. Somehow Arizona got a real tough schedule. They get to play St. Louis and Seattle twice, plus New England, Carolina and Miami. Compare them with the Giants, identical records last year, but a much tougher schedule in 2004.

Obviously this ranking is going to change when the 2004 games are played, but it is interesting to compare at this point, since it is all we will have to work with until the 2004 season gets underway.

2004strength_of_schedule.jpg

Complete and utter sh*t. The NFL completely manipulated the schedules this year to get the Boys and Eagles to be good. I hate it. Easy to see, because they are trying to oppress the smaller market teams like AZ and Jacksonville because they don't get ratings. Way to go, NFL!

Looking at things a little closer, Philly plays 5 playoff teams from a year ago, while Dallas plays 4 playoff teams from a year ago. We play 4 playoff teams from a year ago.

Percentage wise, there is a .23 difference between Washington's strength of schedule and Dallas'. Not much of a difference.

I know it's ridiculous that the first and second place teams in the NFC East draw the two easiest schedules in the league based on last season's records, but saying that they have a huge advantage over us isn't that accurate either.

Originally posted by Oldskool

how the hell do the boys get the easiest scheule (preseason on paper) for 2 years running?

Actually if I recall corectly we had the toughest schedule this time last year, and even after the season, we didn't have the easiest schedule, but I could be wrong on the later of the two.

i may be mistaking but i thought your SOS was based on your prior years win loss record? if this is true its utter bull sh*t that the cows and iggles get the two easiest schedules in the NFL. The league must love the boys cause this is the secod year in a row they got one of these jv schedules.

Originally posted by TODD

Complete and utter sh*t. The NFL completely manipulated the schedules this year to get the Boys and Eagles to be good. I hate it. Easy to see, because they are trying to oppress the smaller market teams like AZ and Jacksonville because they don't get ratings. Way to go, NFL!

This is hilarious, the formulas the NFL uses we set in place prior to 02', had you guys finished 2nd, you'd have our schedule.

Originally posted by TODD

The last thing I want to do is stick up for the Eagles and Cowboys but isn't the shedule on rotating basis? For example this year the NFC East plays the NFC North and the AFC North. The rest of the schedule is divisional games and playing against the same place team(for the Skins that means 3rd place)in the other divisons, that is where Tampa, SF come in. The home on away is also based on this rotation(don't know the exact rotation). That is why we know the opponents as soon as the season ended. So I don't think the NFL had anything to do with it, the whole divison just ended up with a favorable schedule, at least on paper.

Nobody can use their schedule as an excuse.

If we play through a tough schedule and still manage to make the playoffs, we will be much better prepared for the challenges we will face in the postseason. Somebody who gets in the playoffs playing subpar teams for the majority of the season will arguably be in for a rude awakening come playoff time.

Case in point: Dallas played three teams who got into the playoffs last season and got embarrassed in their opening playoff game.

I'd rather play playoff-type teams throughout the season in preparation for the REALITY of the post season.

(assuming we make the playoffs of course.)

There is a reason the Iggles and Pukes have the easiest schedules....they play us and New York twice. If we had been a better team last year their schedule would be harder and ours would likely be easier. Marty built the boat, Steve wrecked it, and all we can do is wait for the Gibbs rescue party.

You guys obviously didnt watch the show on NFL Network or even online for that matter.

Redskins Have the toughest schedule in the division

Giants follow

Then Dallas

And the Eagles.

Think about it for a second.

The Redskins and Giants combined for 9 wins last year.

The NFC North was a close race with no outstanding teams

And the Same for the AFC North.

Combined those were the weakest Divisions in Football.

AFC West was probably worse because the Raiders and Chargers have the top 2 picks in the draft. But take a look at the rest of the top half of the draft. The NFC East, AFC North, And NFC North have most of the top picks.

That is why the Cowboys and Eagles Schedules look easy they play 2 games each against the Skins and Giants, The play the entire NFC North, and the entire AFC North.

You guys obviously didnt watch the show on NFL Network or even online for that matter.

Redskins Have the toughest schedule in the division

Giants follow

Then Dallas

And the Eagles.

I don't think people necessarily feel that the Redskins have a tough schedule. It's more a case of people being disappointed in the fact that Dallas and Philly drew the easiest schedules on paper and based on last year's records.

Guest Xtrmskn04

Remember that the schedules since realignment are no longer based on how you performed the previous year. For example, no longer can a team who loses a lot a games one year be guaranteed an easy schedule the following year.

Look at the combined records of teams that each team in the NFC east play outside of the division, and the order should come to eagles, cowboys, redskins, giants

the redskins combined in division is going to be hard than the eagles because we have to play teams that were better than us.

Guest Xtrmskn04

We play for example our own division twice (6 games), all the teams in the NFC North and AFC North (8 games) and the teams finishing in the 3rd spot in both the NFC West and South (2 games). It is a pretty simple formula. Dallas actually plays the same teams as we do. They just play Seattle and New Orleans while we play SF and TB. So actually after saying all this, I am not sure how they end up with a softer schedule?

Originally posted by skins1206

Look at the combined records of teams that each team in the NFC east play outside of the division, and the order should come to eagles, cowboys, redskins, giants

the redskins combined in division is going to be hard than the eagles because we have to play teams that were better than us.

Right. Here's the 2003 records of this year's opponent's outside our division.

Team----------OppWon----------OppLost

Philly---------------83---------------77

Dallas---------------78---------------82

Wash---------------74---------------86

NYG-----------------69---------------91

I don't understand why so many people have such a hard time understanding that the Eagles and Cowboys only appear to have an easier schedule because they play the Giants and Redskins twice.

Take away the divisional games and they have a tougher schedule than we do.

Originally posted by MidPennSkin

Right. Here's the 2003 records of this year's opponent's outside our division.

Team----------OppWon----------OppLost

Philly---------------83---------------77

Dallas---------------78---------------82

Wash---------------74---------------86

NYG-----------------69---------------91

That's good stuff. Way to go.

Was fun to read all the conspiracy theories on how the league loves Dallas, though. :rotflmao:

Archived