Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question on Gardner.....

fansince62

haven't really tracked on this, but hte play in the end zone last night made me wonder. throughout this season, what reputation has gardner built for running patterns? is he precise (both in geometry and timing)? does he adjust well and in a way that reflects an uderstanding of what the defense is offering?

i haven't been too focused on this, what with all the dropped passes and what appears to be a lot of near misses.

I think the Redskins are impressed with his athletic ability and his competiveness, but I think in stark reality they wish he would have picked up the nuances of the wideout position a bit earlier.

His route running is o.k., but he'll never be confused with Rice or Owens. I think a couple of those long bombs he dropped this year will be catches next year, and that we'll see him running more crisper routes and gaining more separation from the defenders. Once the light switch comes on, we'll see an above average receiver. I'm just not sold on him being a true #1 receiver. I consider him more of a possession #2 with the ability to sneak past the defense on occasion.

Maybe one of the rookies, McCants specifically, will show the promise of becoming a #1 option. He's definitely got the speed, and the size, to be a #1. I would have liked to seem him run a few post routes this year and see if he could go get one. Thompson I'm just not sure of, seems to always tease but never make a great push to start. Skaggs is very raw, but he could turn out to be a faster Ed McCaffery given time to improve.

If Mac and Boss Skaggs impress in the off season we may see the skins not trying to resign Westy which I still think would be a mistake.

We still need a QB to have confidence to throw the ball at our Big Receivers we could have a Three wide recever set of 2nd year players averaging 6'3 running a 4.4 40

------------------

Take A Sip of the Marty KoolAid and Believe.

I would disagree. I think Gardner has a much bigger upside than that. Give him another year or two, and he could be a big, powerful receiver that can't be stopped on certain routes. He will never be the barn burner streaking down the sidelines, but that is not what we drafted him for. Get the ball near him, and he should come away with it. You really can't complain when you get production out of a rookie WR with all the turmoil (and lack of talent) we have at the QB spot.

------------------

"I'm MikeB and I get respect, your cash and your jewelry are what I expect..."

Rod Gardner is having a year that most rookies go through, that includes Jerry Rice. He dropped his share of TD's and actually made some bonehead misktakes, that he would even laugh at to this day.

No question, I don't think, by anyone that he has a serious upside that will come roaring back in 2002. It's in the game.

I think it's important to keep in mind that he is just a rookie and as such still has a lot of learning to do. Not a great comparison for a lot of reasons, but look at Plaxico Burress in Pittsburgh. He did didly and squat in his rookie year and has improved quite a bit this year. Next year he may very well break out (in spite of himself I think, but that's another issue).

I think Gardner is the real deal and should do even better next year and the year after. No, he's not going to run past too many defenders on any go routes, but I do think he'll end up being something of a cross between Chris Carter and Art Monk (I'll take the heat if he busts).

Archived