Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What got into our OL?

pga

Gotcha ya. I knew something was up after watching them the last few weeks. Everybody ***** 'in about how bad Tony is (I'm not back'in him) even though he had no time to throw most of the time.

I'm heartend by the play of both lines, but this game isn't a good guage.

New Orleans might have among the most talented offensive AND defensive lines in the league, but they are clearly mailing this game in. Plus, both their lines are missing one key player (Norman Hand and Willie Roaf).

I'm with you Guru. For our defensive line to generate that much pressure on Brooks and to be so successful running the Saints, who have MORE talent than we do, as a whole, along the lines, just smacks of that team quitting. And Haslett isn't a coach that will take kindly to it.

BTW, what I thought was most intriguing was that not only was Connell caught on tape stealing the money, but at least four other incidents are being investigated in which he may have been the culprit. I miss him greatly.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

I agree on the talent part and that the Saints looked "doable" today, after the wind was taken out of their sales for playoffs before this game. Can you say playing out the schedule. If that is the case, it is the worst thing a team can do as the season closes. I maintain that the Skins have regained the character in them, even though for the most part, many of these players always had it.

Haslett is definitely going to pull the hammmer down on some folks, but for once the whole team (Skins)continued to take positive advantages of opportunities. It just makes me feel strange about it, when those points spread over only three games would have been icing for a double digit season. Oh well, this now marks the new surge for something they can now build on, starting next week against Arizona. Maybe the coaching is starting to wake up.

I think Albert Connell is in for a legal shock and I hope his family comes out of this ok. Should all the evidence be presented in this case properly, his conviction will lead to all kinds new legal problems for the entire NFL. I don't think the judge should be lenient in his stating of a sentence, as it will send the wrong message, by setting a precedent to for all other theft or illegal activity cases of this kind. Any legal decisions in a courtroom by a judge allows others in all walks of life, to review the case as a possible defense, should he get off easy. This man has a serious problem, but the "grand theft" tag should not be given a smack on the wrist. It would be dangerous, especially at a time like now, to let him get off easy. However, he can be "sued" by the player for damages as well.

[edited.gif by indyskinsfan on December 31, 2001.]

The Redskins have two younger players on the line in Ross Tucker and David Brandt that look like they may have futures in the NFL. I am sure that will factor into what the Skins do in terms of backups. Better to have a younger cheaper player in reserve that has a clear upside.

We learned something with the Matt Campbell experiment this season. smile.gif

The Redskins have had a difficult time in short yardage this season. Especially with penetration in the interior of the line.

Whether that is Szott and Raymer getting pushed back because of a lack of size I don't know.

At other times, when Davis is running behind Coleman and the franchise tackle, the Redskins running game looks unstoppable.

Coleman right now is the key of the interior players. He is the best run blocker and has the greatest flexibility in being able to play tackle as well.

Re-signing him to me is a must as long as we can get him back for a decent price.

Szott has already said he is going to come back if Marty wants him so that issue is settled.

Raymer is the question mark. Raymer at 289 is a bit small for an NFL center. He is a decent player but decent players are ones that teams seemingly try to upgrade on each offseason.

My thinking is that Fischer is going to be gone in 2002 and that Brandt is going to get the chance to play center because Marty like his size and toughness.

Whether that means Raymer comes back to compete and the loser is the backup or whether Cory moves on is anyone's guess at the moment.

Campbell might as well pack his bags, he is done as an NFL lineman.

Unless he resurfaces as a long snapper for someone smile.gif

Is Szott back up to playing weight? I read when he came into camp he weighed in at a skin and bones 265. I thought he used to play around 295. Could that be why we have been lacking in the interior push? I certainly saw him open up some holes last night. Maybe he's putting some weight back on?

I think Raymer, Szott, and Coleman stay. Contrary to most, I think Raymer is a solid player. He's not spectacular or a road grader, but he is smart and seems to hold his own. Coleman and Szott are simply wiley veterans who know how to play the game, and they are the type of players most championship teams need to be successful.

I'd prefer to see Raymer back at center, with Brandt and a talented draft guard be groomed one more year before assuming starting roles as guards. Think of that, Samuels and Jansen on the ends.....with an experienced solid center (raymer) and one third year guard (brandt) and a second year potential guard (draft) starting on the line. Talk about a formidable OL. Plus....backups Tucker and Simmons at tackles and Szott & Coleman (Tackle or Guard) in reserve.

the only problem with that scenario is that Brandt is a true NFL center and probably not a starting guard.

Brandt is 6'3 and 309 and has a low center of gravity and good strength for a center. What he is lacking is footspeed and thus the quickness to pull and take on the role of a true guard. If you watched, his skills in pass protection are rudimentary at best and he didn't look very comfortable in his start early in the season opposite Szott.

By playing Brandt at guard, you negate his better than average size and strength at center and substitute it for average strength and limited mobility at a new position.

That doesn't look like a good trade-off to me.

also, I think the fact most scouts saw Brandt as a center and not a guard is one of the reasons teams passed on him in the draft. Coming out of a top notch program for linemen at Michigan I am sure Brandt would have been a #2 or #3 pick if he was a better athlete and projected as a G or T.

Archived