Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The future, and the GM.

Art

Szott wants to return. This is a very nice plus. We've made advances to Alexander and Barber to return. These are very solid decisions. Some folks here aren't big on either player, but, both have ability and should be looked at, at reasonable prices, to return.

The more people we retain, especially solid young pros, the better off we'll be. With the return of Green, the now unsure status of Smith, and a few good internal signings at less than what you'd probably have to pay others to come, this team will have some money to make runs at the positions where we need more help.

If we aren't having to replace Alexander and Barber with someone in free agency, maintaining them and the continuity they bring, we can focus on one of the strong players available in free agency at the middle linebacker spot, or, at making a run for a QB who comes free.

Alexander and Barber are both coming off injury and while Pierce shows promise and Alexander is fast becomming a pariah among some of you, both players are young and have some talent, and can be had at better prices than you would have thought prior to this year given this past year's happenings.

Look inward first. Sign the guys with ability and youth first. Then look outside to fill crucial spots. It's the best formula for success in my view.

I guess that's sort of the silver lining in having Barber and Alexander miss most of the year. They'll sign for considerably less than if they are coming off of solid years.

ALexander will sign for half of what Gonzalez will. And he won't cost any draft pix. But, the guy drops too many balls. Between him, Gardner, and Davis you're looking at about a %50 catch rate. although, it seems like Banks throws a "heavy ball," if you will. Who knows? We need to change something on this offense though.

I have made some jokes and remarks about Alexander, but nothing he doesn't deserve IMHO. I don't hate the guy, I just want to see him stay on the field and catch balls when he is on the field. He's done neither lately. I would not be averse to signing him for a very reasonable price but if some team wants to take a chance on him and give him a big pay day we should let him go. He hasn't done enough to warrant a big committment.

I like Barber and also wouldn't mind us resigning him, but we hold the leverage with him due to depth at LB. Again, if he asks for too much or if another team puts a premium on him I wouldn't want to see us get into a bidding war.

Originally posted by Art:

Look inward first.

When I look inward, that little voice inside me says we need to deal with the coaches, not the players. Every offseason we get all excited about the player signings we accomplish and how they will pan out on the field, but every season, it's the stinkin coaches who spoil it for us, not the players. It won't matter who we re-sign or sign, if "Marty Python and the Flying Circus" are still coaching for us next year, it will all be a moot point. Every single year for the past 6 or so years, we've fielded a good enough team on paper, to be serious contenders. But did it make a difference ? Meanwhile, teams with much lesser talent are beating up on us, and making the playoffs. I won't rest easy until the coaching staff and GM is dealt with. Then we should worry about the players. Ironically Art, you mentioned GM in your heading but not your post ?

[edited.gif by Mick on December 29, 2001.]

Good point Mick on the fact that the coach's use of the current roster has had the greatest impact. Thus the reason the GM was cited as sure fire way to get the personnel here to fit an organization. Marty would benefit tremendously, if Alexander finally makes the catches, Barber stays healthy, Smith comes back better than ever, we find that DT, that Safety, and yes the exact fit for QB (one that stays for a few years, instead of months or weeks smile.gif ), if....

I'm afraid they will go for the "one year tender" deals when they don't get what they think they are worth.

I fully expect the agents to ask for a salary they MIGHT deserve if they had not been injured. And then hold out for it before signing a one year deal when no one unloads a truck at their door. In other words, play for a year, stay healthy and produce then ask for a mega-deal. The usual BS.

Just like Derek Smith, Barber and co. did coming off of their first contract as restricted free agents. They took the one year deal to get from "restricted free agent" to "free agent" status.

I see Alexander and Barber as mid-level contributors, so in my mind they deserve mid-level deals. They are not anchors on this team and should not be paid as if they are.

One year deals for each works in the Redskins favor. You get two players to lay it on the line for a future contract as a free agent and at the same time you get two productive players for another season if they stay healthy.

Then we can work to replace them in 2003 instead of 2002.

We have commitments on defense to Arrington, Bailey, Smoot and in bonus dollars committed to Dan Wilkinson for the next season or two.

We need to add an impact DL to the defense to take it to the next level.

Linbackers are more plentiful than defensive linemen. If Barber holds out for larger, multiyear deal the Redskins can use Arrington at weakside, play Jones at strongside and work to acquire a veteran in the middle. Or they can move LaVar inside and use Jones and Pierce outside.

Either way the key to the defense is improvement up front and at safety.

On offense, the real need is at quarterback and then wide receiver. A productive tight end runs a distant third among the skill position needs.

You add a difference maker at qb and a veteran wide receiver to pair with Gardner and the running of Davis and then you have firepower to contend with.

Redskins will also have good cap space available in 2003 due to some of the cap cleansing that Marty did this offseason. At least that #@%#! Deion won't be taking up any space. Still, I would like to sign Alexander and Barber to 2 year deals with low signing bonuses and lots of incentives.

------------------

If you can't be good, be good at it.

I'm not all that excited about resigning Alexander he is becoming the fragile TE.

Barber should know he wont command a big salary here wih the emergence of Pierce. Having him resign thouh could lead to a Barber Lavar Pierce starting lineup

------------------

Take A Sip of the Marty KoolAid and Believe.

Archived