Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comic Relief

bayougator

Nothing but love for PR. I want more than anything to see him as our starter and long term quarterback. Ramsey deserves the spot and will earn the respect of everyone in the league under Gibbs. Go Ramsey.

Reminds me of John Elway's determination to win (see pic).

What you're seeing Bayou is two-fold.

First of all, there are a lot of folks here who have no experience with Coach Gibbs. They don't trust him. Hell, Lavar Arrington doesn't trust him yet, its understandable some here don't.

Secondly, you're talking to fans who have been absolutely brutalized, particularly over the past 4 years. They've had the 'I don't believe it' beat out of them. In a battered, disillusioned mind, even the most outrageous rumor seems, well, possible. I think Patrick is safely intrenched as the starter until such time is he is clearly outclassed by a savvier vet. I don't think there's anyone out there (Brunell included) who is capable of beating out a determined Ramsey.

If you want a more accurate measure of how most of us feel about Patrick, look at the emotion and fire surrounding the Howie Long's 'Toughest Man' contest. That spells it out pretty clearly. Tell Patrick we're looking forward to seeing him perform with the support of a REAL NFL Coach.

In case anyone cares, here's where I stand on this whole issue.

At the end of the day, I'm a Redskin fan. Meaning I root for the uniforms. The players who wear those uniforms at any given moment are ultimately incidental to me. If those players are helping us win, great. And if they're not, get rid of 'em. However, in the final analysis, the roster is ephemeral, subject to change at any time according to the vagaries of the day. But the Burgundy & Gold endures. And that's what I root for.

I like Patrick Ramsey. I think he's a good player and he seems like a good person. I like seeing him in the Burgundy & Gold.

To be honest, all this talk of Mark Brunell potentially coming here has caught me off-guard and I still don't quite know what to make of it.

But I know this.

Just about the only thing as important as that logo on the sides of the Redskin football helmets is Joe Gibbs and his Hall of Fame legacy. Improbably, Gibbs is back with the Burgundy & Gold, and as far I'm concerned his judgment is golden. So if Gibbbs thinks that we really need Brunell, fine. That's good enough for me. Similarly, if Gibbs also thinks we need to part ways with Ramsey (just speaking hypothetically here, folks), I'm gonna have to grit my teeth and bear it.

Because, after all, this is Joe Gibbs were talking about. Not Steve Spurrier. Not Norv Turner. This man knows what he's doing when it comes to the game of football. Hell, he once traded away a young QB who'd played fairly decently for him and got what turned out to be a great offensive lineman in return. I'm sure there were naysayers back then on that move too. However, history has clearly proven that move to have been a shrewd one.

So I have no doubt that Gibbs still has the touch and still knows what he's doing with regard to whatever deals he'll make. And that's that.

I personally don't like this move at all. I'm only 24 so I can barely remember Gibbs much less his early years. But Pat was one of the few guys I felt like gave his heart and soul this year and to see him traded elsewhere or benched without given a chance to fight for the job would make me sick.

Bayou,

It's always good to hear from you. I'm glad that Pat is feeling positive about this potentiality.

Brunnell as a backup or a starter IF Pat isn't healthy by the start of training camp is ok with me I guess.

Brunnell coming here AS the starter with Patrick then being traded to another team would break my heart (but I guess you know that by now). ;)

I'm just a fan of the team. I never played pro ball, never scouted for a team, never coached either. I'm just a fan who has a fondness for certain players. Ramsey just happens to be someone that I want to be a part of "my" team for a very long time.

P.S. How is your brother's foot doing?

I'm glad you posted, bayou. I'm also glad that Pat has the right attitude about this.

For those of us that have been around this team and this coach for a long time, we know that Gibbs has a special way about handling his QB's, and he always seems to get the most out of them.

Joe Theisman was merely an average (at best) QB before Gibbs got here. Jay Schroeder was a strong-armed gun slinger who Gibbs made to look great at times. Mark Rypien, I'd venture to guess, wouldn't have lasted more than a couple of years in the league on virtually any other franchise, but Gibbs turned him into a Super Bowl MVP and the best QB in the league one year. Even Stan Humphries, who never really played for us, went on to be a good QB for the Chargers after Gibbs developed him, and led one of the more unlikely AFC Champion squads into the Super Bowl.

The key with all of them was that Gibbs had them for a while and made sure they learned. That big, tall guy in the white golf shirt on the sidelines of Super Bowl XXII in San Diego (the one with the 35 point 2nd quarter vs. the Broncos) was the "injured" Mark Rypien, who was finishing up his sideline apprenticeship.

Right now, I have no idea whether Brunnell - if this trade actually happens - will start over Patrick. What I do know is that Patrick will learn a tremendous amount under Gibbs, whether he's starting or backing up. I like virtually everyone here knows that Patrick is Gibbs' type of QB - tough, heady, strong-armed, hard working. That means that Brunnell's acquisition is simply meant to strengthen the team overall, not "replace" Patrick.

Bayou,

Joe knows what he's doing. I just don't see him bringing in a guy like Mark Brunnell and giving him the starting job right off the bat. I'm sure he knows the type of effort Pat has put forth.

I, personally, LOVE to watch Pat throw the ball. Sure, he's new to this league and has things to learn. But, man, when he puts that perfect touch on a deep ball it's a thing of beauty.

But, then again, when Mark puts the ball in the air, it's a pretty nice thing to look at too.

I want Pat to start. And knowing someone like Mark Brunnell is backing him up? That would make any fan feel confident throughout the season.

Tell Pat to keep his head up. A lot of us like what he's done for us so far. :wink:

Originally posted by pr11fan

I personally don't like this move at all. I'm only 24 so I can barely remember Gibbs much less his early years. But Pat was one of the few guys I felt like gave his heart and soul this year and to see him traded elsewhere or benched without given a chance to fight for the job would make me sick.

I just want to echo that sentiment. My memories of Gibbs are all as a child, but Patrick Ramsey almost singlehandedly made me a Redskins fan again as an adult.

The loyalty is definitely strong: When my sister (who is, being female, an even bigger St. Pat fan for more intangible reasons) heard about the possibility of a trade from Mort, she called me up in tears. I was in Disney World with my wife for our Anniversary a couple weeks ago, and saw a kid of about 10 running around Magic Kingdom wearing a Ramsey jersey - we both freaked and started clapping and cheering.

A lot of this is just folks expressing that same kind of fear and frustration - people used to seeing their franchise give up on talented players - people who think Ramsey's courage, grit, and ability should give him the right to start.

And ultimately, I'm not worried. Because I think Pat will kick ass in any head to head QB controversy.

Thanks again, Bayou - you truly are the man's best bro. Just let Extremeskins know if you're ever in the DC area, and every member will happily by you a drink.

BD

Bayou, while some people were not very complimentary of your brother (I don't know why!), most people have straight up supported him. A couple people even uttered some blasphemy in their support.... Those posts are well documented I think.

Anyways I am confident your bro will win the job, and will learn some valuable lessons from Brunell if he ends up here!

Great Post Bayou.

I've said all along, that competition is a good thing. If the aqusition of Brunell makes Pat better, then what more can anyone ask for.

Regardless, I know that I'm pulling for Pat.

I can also say, if by some chance the worst case plays out in Pat being traded, I would instantly become a fan of what ever team that happened to be.:cheers:

Hell Yeah Bayou. Good to have you back. Yes people are freaking out over here and teeth are starting to show. On the one hand you have rumors and speculations about the best coach ever's motives, and the other, the biggest fan-favorite, especiallly on this board, mentioned in rumors that I will not repeat here.

I won't for one second question Joe, but I find it impossible that he would think for one second that we could get by in the future without our fan-favorite. Just doens't seem possible to me. Doesn't add up. I think PR is a HUGE reason why Gibbs came back. If PR was not drafted by the Skins, I don't think we'd see Gibbs anywhere close to DC. Worse, he may have been a Falcon!!!!!!!!!!!!

With that said, I'll elude to what someone has already mentioned. The possibility that this could all be a big smokescreen for something else that is going on. Fred Taylor? Swap for picks? Huge Douglas? I dunno. It could be something else and I will continue to beilieve that because the honeymoon is seriously starting to hit some bumps on the road. Kinda like that crab scare I had back in '92 that I almost told my girlfriend about.................:paranoid:

;)

:laugh:

I still don't understand how so many people were all on Ramsey's jock, and when the trade rumors started they were ready to kick him to the curb for draft picks or Fred Taylor or whatever...

Come on, if you support a guy, stick with him... I'm seeing the same damn thing with Champ. Granted, his play during the regular season was sub-par for him, but I'll be damned if I WANTED him to get away... During the season I said some things out of frustration to the guy, but come on... Look at things realistically here...

Ramsey, even with the acquiring of Brunell, will be in my opinion the MOST TALENTED QB on the 'Skins roster. He may not be the best yet, but given another year or so, or even an offseason, he will be better than Brunell.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sticking by Ramsey.

Besides, he gave me a double thumbs up at the Bills game this year... I give credit for anyone willing to do that in a public place :laugh:

Originally posted by KDawg

I still don't understand how so many people were all on Ramsey's jock, and when the trade rumors started they were ready to kick him to the curb for draft picks or Fred Taylor or whatever...

Come on, if you support a guy, stick with him... I'm seeing the same damn thing with Champ. Granted, his play during the regular season was sub-par for him, but I'll be damned if I WANTED him to get away... During the season I said some things out of frustration to the guy, but come on... Look at things realistically here...

Ramsey, even with the acquiring of Brunell, will be in my opinion the MOST TALENTED QB on the 'Skins roster. He may not be the best yet, but given another year or so, or even an offseason, he will be better than Brunell.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sticking by Ramsey.

I agree, except that I don't believe theres any comparison between Bailey and Ramsey. Bailey opened last season with nothing but 'show me the money' talk. It was all about him getting paid. Then proceeded to have his worst season as a Redskin (whether ultimately that was on him or our lack of pressure at the line, it remains a fact). He made it clear that if he wasn't paid, he'd go somewhere he would be. THATs what made me a little less enthusiastic about him as a fan.

Ramsey, in sharp contrast, has said ALL the right things, refusing to blame anyone, fellow players, coaches, anyone for the beating he took. He's been the consummate professional and the consummate Redskin throughout all of the ups and downs.

Theres a big difference in my mind. I respect Bailey as an athlete. I respect Ramsey as a team leader.

Archived