Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

McCain stunk. He was better as a slot guy at the LoS but still found himself unable to communicate and losing guys in coverage. 

I still can't believe he's gone.  It's like a bad dream.  I am trying to muster some enthusiasm for the season but its really hard now.  Maybe they reconsider?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It just seems like such a small gain to cut him now. I don't think anyone is mourning the loss, but I'm definitely not going to celebrate it like some posters. At least not until it's addressed. 

If you're gonna end up cutting him or most likely cutting him anyway, cutting him early in process is good for the player so that they have a better opportunity to land somewhere else.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

If you're gonna end up cutting him or most likely cutting him anyway, cutting him early in process is good for the player so that they have a better opportunity to land somewhere else.

That's fair. I think my problem is that I still think it's January.  :ols:

• Haha 1

I'm trying to read the tea leaves between Rivera's comments and what I perceive to be our hands being somewhat tied to put down guaranteed $$ on a big FA.

1. OL is the priority

2. CB and LB are secondary

3. TE is likely set.

On the TE, on paper it makes plenty of sense to cut a 32 year old TE coming off an ACL recently and save $5m and $8m the next two years respectively, and replace with a Mike Gesicki on a 4-5 year deal that would have similar cap hits the next 2 years BUT that doesn't account for guaranteed money that would need to be paid to Gesicki THIS year. Cash poor --- why we keep Thomas.

OL is the priority but again we won't have the cash to drop on an Orlando Brown. While we could cut Leno and save $8m and $12m respectively and only have to commit to maybe $6m more the next two years in CAP to Orlando Brown, we'd have to pay out a $50-60m signing bonus. See Daron Payne. Not happening. So I think we sign a Center or a Guard who wouldn't command a large signing bonus. Ethan Pocic could replace Roullier and likely wouldn't command a massive signing bonus. 

CB --- cheap prove it deal to a slot corner and address depth in the draft. Same with LB. No Tremaine Edmunds signings here ... maybe Holcomb back on the cheap and draft a long-term replacement.

So all of that said ... I would expect to go into 2023 with an OL like 

Leno - Paul - Pocic - Cosmi - Rookie OT

Trading Payne for a pair of picks or a 1st if we are lucky would allow us to add CB, LB, 2 OL in the first 3 rounds. 

FA would be a cheap slot corner, a Center or a Guard on a cheap-ish $5-7m APY with lower signing bonus. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Roullier retiring would clear some cap space. Wonder if we target Center in FA (Pocic?) versus Guard. Roll with Paul and Cosmi and draft one IOL and an OT. 

More likely to bring back Larson and draft the position higher (2nd over 3rd)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

More likely to bring back Larson and draft the position higher (2nd over 3rd)

Bradley Bozeman one to watch in FA if Roullier is done. I do agree re the draft, it’s a position I’d be happy for us to draft our new starter. 

Bozeman has that OG flexibility too, if needed anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Bradley Bozeman one to watch in FA if Roullier is done. I do agree re the draft, it’s a position I’d be happy for us to draft our new starter. 

Bozeman has that OG flexibility too, if needed anyway.

Center is such a sketchy position to not groom your own. Granted, Larson doesn't know the EB system. 

McGlintchy at RT would probably be a better use of resources, even if he's more expensive. The tackles in this draft are all iffy and there's a bunch of solid C/G prospects on day two.

Draft CB in the first, the  C/G in round 2 and sign McGlintchy and this teams looking better than it does today.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim this morning.

A.  Seemed to hint that Rouillier might consider retirement, his last injury was a bad one.

B.  Thniks there is a decent chance Logan Thomas returns and generally they are high on their young TEs 

If he retires how much cap will we get back?

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Center is such a sketchy position to not groom your own. Granted, Larson doesn't know the EB system. 

McGlintchy at RT would probably be a better use of resources, even if he's more expensive. The tackles in this draft are all iffy and there's a bunch of solid C/G prospects on day two.

Draft CB in the first, the  C/G in round 2 and sign McGlintchy and this teams looking better than it does today.

Don't want McGlitchy at all.  There's a reason 49ers fans think he sucks.  Sweat dominated him when we played the 49ers in Arizona a couple of years ago.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Don't want McGlitchy at all.  There's a reason 49ers fans think he sucks.  Sweat dominated him when we played the 49ers in Arizona a couple of years ago.  

Isn't he known to be an average pass blocker but a good zone run blocker? Zone run blocking would fit well with the movement skills of Paul, Cosmi, and Leno. So that part works well at least.

Reaves, Holcomb, Sims and Obada all possible to return. Cheap vet QB brought in and we need to get at least one stating IOL in FA. 

Cash issues or not, we don’t exactly need to break the bank this offseason based on where Rivera clearly thinks we are.

How bad has Devin Bush been in Pittsburgh?

I loved him coming out of the draft. He’s still just 24. And Spotrac projects him for a 1 year $3m salary. That seems like the type of high upside low risk FA signing we could angle for. 2/$10 perhaps? Given the news on our facilities (which we knew but it’s one thing for it to be blasted to all the players so we can’t exactly be picky here. 

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I loved him coming out of the draft. He’s still just 24. And Spotrac projects him for a 1 year $3m salary. That seems like the type of high upside low risk FA signing we could angle for. 2/$10 perhaps? Given the news on our facilities (which we knew but it’s one thing for it to be blasted to all the players so we can’t exactly be picky here. 

Haven’t watched every game… statistically he hasn’t been close to his hype. 

Been overall consistent in health except for his sophomore season in the NFL.

If he’s truly that cheap he’s a low risk flier. Getting him and Holcomb back and drafting a guy makes me feel a bit better about LB because it means we won’t see Bostic again.

49 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If he isn’t going to workout as a LB in Pittsburgh, probably not happening here. I remember Cooley hated him as a prospect

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Kareem Hunt, serious background issues, still very tight with Bieniemy apparently.

Controversial move, in particular for us, would we ?

He is probably looking to be a starter again. Not happening here

22 hours ago, markmills67 said:

If he retires how much cap will we get back?

We'd saved 4.3 million, but also have 8.1 million in dead cap.

Making our total dead cap for 2023 around 25 million due to Landon Collins, WJ3, and Bobby McCain.

Edited by Tress Is The Way

Roullier would be a good use of the June 1st designation depending on the circumstances if he goes.

I’m buying in on Bradley Bozeman now. Not elite but but very solid IOL versatility and OC starter experience. Strong college background at Alabama, team captain and all that. One of the better options IMO pre draft.

• Like 2